Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

4l80e?????

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-2005, 06:44 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 4l80e?????

I switched my 4l60e to a 4l80e but with manual shift....my question for any1 whos done this kind of a setup i know u have to change your transmission yoke to a th400 yoke but my question is which one the long or short one???...also does the bmr relocation bracked work for this kind of setup
Old 01-11-2005, 08:07 PM
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

About the yoke, I'm unaware of any short or long version.
One thing that may be important is the output shaft. Unlike the th400, the 4L80E has at least 3 different output shafts, all are the same length.
All have threaded holes in the end.
Most use a bolt on yoke, these can be a problem because a slip yoke won't have much travel due to the machined shoulder that stops the bolt on yoke from going in too far.
The other type is the HD output shaft, same as the bolt on yoke but these had e-brakes on the tail housing.
When you put the regular tail housing on one of these a regular bolt on yoke won't go on all the way because the shoulder on the shaft is 3/4" out more than the shaft for a regular bolt on yoke. It'll still work though.
The last type shaft has splines all the way up almost to the inner seal.
You can use a slip yoke out of a 4x4 truck, these are easy to find, they have splines all the way to the end of the hole.
A th400 yoke doesn't have splines to the end of the hole, so if you have a 4L80E that had a bolt on yoke you may have to use the th400 type yoke.
If your 4L80E has a slip yoke output shaft you can use any yoke.

Take your tail housing off, if you have splines all the way you can use a yoke out of a 4x4 S-10 or S-10 Blazer with a NP 231 transfer case, it'll drop right in and they're found everywhere.
If you don't have splines all the way you need a 5" th400 yoke that has splines about 2" deep into the yoke. The part without the splines should fit over the shoulder that would normally stop the bolt on type yoke.
Is that enough information
Old 01-11-2005, 10:49 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default thanx

thank you jason, i will take the rear housing off tomorrow to check that out