Street Racing & Kill Stories Basic Technical Questions & Advice

My 98 Ws6 vs Anniversary SS

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-2005, 12:19 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Unhappy My 98 Ws6 vs Anniversary SS

So I was on the I-10 one night coming home from my girlfriends when a car comes hauling *** up behind me while im in the left lane, being the nice guy that i am i got over in the right lane to let him by. He starts coming closer to pass me when i realize its a camaro from the parking lights in the front... So now i get ready, hes about even with me going around 65 and then i see the SS on the side so i want to go. I drop it down to 4th and then back to 6th so by now the guy in the SS knows i want to go... He does the same right back to me and were even again... he honks three times and were off and im back down in 4th i had the lead on him until about the middle of 5th when he flys by me and kills me... i didnt want to try to stay with him because the fear of cops... hes weaving in and out of traffic by then so i thought hell ill just let him crash... but still i did get my *** kicked
Old 01-12-2005, 12:41 AM
!LS1 11 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Nice death. You lost due to his mods, not due to the decal.
Old 01-12-2005, 10:05 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by 1sick'98WS6
So I was on the I-10 one night coming home from my girlfriends when a car comes hauling *** up behind me while im in the left lane, being the nice guy that i am i got over in the right lane to let him by. He starts coming closer to pass me when i realize its a camaro from the parking lights in the front... So now i get ready, hes about even with me going around 65 and then i see the SS on the side so i want to go. I drop it down to 4th and then back to 6th so by now the guy in the SS knows i want to go... He does the same right back to me and were even again... he honks three times and were off and im back down in 4th i had the lead on him until about the middle of 5th when he flys by me and kills me... i didnt want to try to stay with him because the fear of cops... hes weaving in and out of traffic by then so i thought hell ill just let him crash... but still i did get my *** kicked
He was using juice. That's what you need.
Old 01-12-2005, 10:34 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

You started racing at speeds aproaching a hundred MPH? Otherwise, why keep it in 4th gear?
Old 01-12-2005, 10:47 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by GuitsBoy
You started racing at speeds aproaching a hundred MPH? Otherwise, why keep it in 4th gear?
Not sure i understand the question... I had 4th topped out because i have 4.11 gears and had to shift out of it but by the time i was in 5th he was long gone
Old 01-12-2005, 11:21 AM
Staging Lane

i know how u feel with those gears. Thats why i never race on the expressway.
Old 01-12-2005, 11:24 AM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by 1sick'98WS6
Not sure i understand the question... I had 4th topped out because i have 4.11 gears and had to shift out of it but by the time i was in 5th he was long gone
Nope, im just a retard. Didnt know you had 4.11's... and neglected the fact you stated it was at 65 MPH. Having 4.10s myself, i probably should have though about that possibility.
Old 01-12-2005, 11:41 AM
!LS1 11 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

When you're making good power and trapping well, 4.10's don't become too much of a handicap on the highway. Granted, I wouldn't race on the highway passed my trap speed on the track.
Old 01-12-2005, 11:46 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by lt1maro
i know how u feel with those gears. Thats why i never race on the expressway.
There's nothing wrong with those gears, it just requires you to shift sooner. With a 6speed and 4.11s, you can still go over 200mph.

He was using a power adder or he had some work done. 4.11s from any gear should launch hard and no need to worry about taching out on a 6 speed. You just need to know where the power is. 4 speed auto is another story.
Old 01-12-2005, 12:00 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by wickedwarlock
There's nothing wrong with those gears, it just requires you to shift sooner. With a 6speed and 4.11s, you can still go over 200mph.
As if 200 MPH wasnt difficult enough to reach before... You would need to have an engine that made its peak power at 5400 RPM. Tough to find a cam that will peak that low other than the stock cam. Although, FI on the stock cam might make enough power. Secondly, you would need to spin the driveshaft at almost 11K RPM. I can not tell you how unsafe that would make me feel. Maybe it would be easier to run some 30" tires, but then youre almost back to where you were with the 3.42s.

Basically, what im trying to say is that I think youll find 5th gear is invariably the high speed gear. Even with 4.10 and 4.30, the .50 ratio sixth gear is just too tall. Its really not that big a deal, but with a stock rev limiter, I dont think many of us 4.10 guys will push past 155 MPH.
Old 01-12-2005, 12:16 PM
TECH Resident

As if 200 MPH wasnt difficult enough to reach before... You would need to have an engine that made its peak power at 5400 RPM. Tough to find a cam that will peak that low other than the stock cam. Although, FI on the stock cam might make enough power. Secondly, you would need to spin the driveshaft at almost 11K RPM. I can not tell you how unsafe that would make me feel. Maybe it would be easier to run some 30" tires, but then youre almost back to where you were with the 3.42s.

Basically, what im trying to say is that I think youll find 5th gear is invariably the high speed gear. Even with 4.10 and 4.30, the .50 ratio sixth gear is just too tall. Its really not that big a deal, but with a stock rev limiter, I dont think many of us 4.10 guys will push past 155 MPH.
I know it's a hard on the driveshaft, but even pushing 5th gear will max out in the 170s depending on tires of course. I'm not suggesting go to 200 mph, I was making a point that the car can be pushed to that with those gears. Usually the limitation on 4.11s with the auto is the gear rpm maxing out, it doesn't apply to the 6 speeds.

the ls1 driveshaft has been known to be pretty safe. As for the power, like I said, if he's pushing that car with 4.11s and getting beat, it's not because he's got 4.11s or even if he had 3.73s. He's getting beat by pure power.

And there are better driveshafts for sure for relatively cheap. Stock rev is 6000. Still enough to push the car safely, even if you don't want to use the 6th gear. Pushing the car to 170, I don't know if I would do it all the time, but I wouldn't have a problem doing it a few times with 4.11s. I would be worried about the small teeth on the 4.11s before I was worried about the driveshaft.

anyway, if he's getting walked, he doesn't have enough power. 3.42s won't ever pull like that from 65 on a car with 4.11s with similar power. He was using a power adder most likely or like I said, some motor work. need more power!

Last edited by wickedwarlock; 01-12-2005 at 12:22 PM.
Old 01-12-2005, 12:29 PM
TECH Senior Member

In order to get a 4.10 car to 170, you need to either run 28" tires (stock are just shy of 26", regardless or 16" or 17" wheels) or, you need to raise youre revlimiter to 6800. Stock rev limit is 6200, not 6k. Remember that the driveshaft spins faster than the engine in the overdrive gears (5th and 6th). There are heavy duty driveshafts out there, such as the denny's nitrous ready driveshaft and yoke, but even that is only guaranteed to 10K, and its not exactly inexpensive. 11K is really quite an obscene number. Forces grow at an exponential rate as the RPMs get that high. Also, maybe 3.42 wont initailly pull away at 65, but at 60, the 3.42s have the initial advantase, as theyll still be at the top of second. Right after that though the 4.10 have the advantage once again. Thats one thing I definately miss about my 3.42s was the 60 MPH second gear downshift.

The rest of it, I totally agree with, the other car had more power plain and simple.
Old 01-12-2005, 12:39 PM
TECH Resident

In order to get a 4.10 car to 170, you need to either run 28" tires (stock are just shy of 26", regardless or 16" or 17" wheels) or, you need to raise youre revlimiter to 6800. Stock rev limit is 6200, not 6k. Remember that the driveshaft spins faster than the engine in the overdrive gears (5th and 6th). There are heavy duty driveshafts out there, such as the denny's nitrous ready driveshaft and yoke, but even that is only guaranteed to 10K, and its not exactly inexpensive. 11K is really quite an obscene number. Forces grow at an exponential rate as the RPMs get that high. Also, maybe 3.42 wont initailly pull away at 65, but at 60, the 3.42s have the initial advantase, as theyll still be at the top of second. Right after that though the 4.10 have the advantage once again. Thats one thing I definately miss about my 3.42s was the 60 MPH second gear downshift.

The rest of it, I totally agree with, the other car had more power plain and simple.
check this site out for the fbody calculator. Damn thing is pretty accurate. I have compared it the formula I drive now, etc. It's relly impressive and compare it to your car and let me know what you think. I think you will be surprised.

www.f-body.org/gears
Old 01-12-2005, 12:46 PM
TECH Resident

oh, for the 11k rpm driveshaft. Go to www.lingenfelter.com

Here's a better link: http://www.lingenfelter.com/lingenfe...50&pf%5Fid=217

I think it's the best deal around, I have one on my 97, I will probably swap them as soon as I get my 98. The 98 is only 6k, that's what my friend said his was. Oh well, I will find out soon, lol.

Besides $250 bucks, about $100 tops to have it installed. $350 to me is cheap to me. The $100 was including the installation of a driveshaft safty loop. So it can't be more than one hour of labor.

Last edited by wickedwarlock; 01-12-2005 at 01:08 PM.
Old 01-12-2005, 01:36 PM
TECH Senior Member

check this site out for the fbody calculator. Damn thing is pretty accurate. I have compared it the formula I drive now, etc. It's relly impressive and compare it to your car and let me know what you think. I think you will be surprised.

www.f-body.org/gears
Yes, ive used this before, however I currently use the excel spreadsheet version. Just to see if there was an discrepency, I chose the 98+ fbody m6 and plugged in 4.1 axle ratio, and 5th gear still topped out at 156 @ 6200 RPM. How did you see fifth gear going to 170 mph?

Now, as far as that LPE driveshaft, I never knew that it was rated that high! I knew they had a cheapie, but i figured it wasnt much of an improvement. Ive never been impressed with LPE's price to performance until seeing this. Youre the man!
Old 01-12-2005, 02:03 PM
TECH Resident

Yes, ive used this before, however I currently use the excel spreadsheet version. Just to see if there was an discrepency, I chose the 98+ fbody m6 and plugged in 4.1 axle ratio, and 5th gear still topped out at 156 @ 6200 RPM. How did you see fifth gear going to 170 mph?

Now, as far as that LPE driveshaft, I never knew that it was rated that high! I knew they had a cheapie, but i figured it wasnt much of an improvement. Ive never been impressed with LPE's price to performance until seeing this. Youre the man!

I was putting in your tire size of 28" and the 6200.

Under standard tire sizes, it's not going to happen as you have posted with the 25.66" tires and the rev at 6k. Now you know why people put 28" on 4.10/4.11 gears, I use to think they were crazy, same thing as going to 6800rpm on a stock motor (too risky for me).

I don't knock the lingenfelter stuff because they test everything with a corvette at high speeds. It's pretty safe stuff. I bet it will hold up to 600hp under the standard 3.5 version. You can even change out the yokes for spicer for about $85 more. That's worth it, probably hold another 100+ hp, hehe.

Now they have carbon fiber too. Not worth it to me but I spend $349 for my setup and it's dropped $100. It's worth it I think. Most of the vibration I was hearing went away. Surpised the hell out of me. Oh the BMR loop is the only one I could find that would work with the 3.5". There was a couple other companies but wasn't impressed with their products. Oh the only problem I have now is the factory (cheap) torque arm touches the loop and makes a vibration. But I heard it was only an issue with the 97s and earlier. I'm about to buy bmr's torque arm. it's rated to 11.0 flat. Limitation on the angle of the tailshaft on the transmission. Long story, but I have my friends 98 ls1 for faster. Looks like 150/200 shot of juice should put that 11.7 N/A into the low to mid 10s.

Last edited by wickedwarlock; 01-12-2005 at 02:16 PM.
Old 01-13-2005, 10:46 PM
TECH Fanatic

So when you get a high RPM drive shaft do you have to also get a drive shaft loop put on? how does that work
Old 01-13-2005, 10:53 PM
pdd
TECH Veteran

nice death
Old 01-13-2005, 11:03 PM
TECH Junkie

He was using juice. That's what you need.
You mean steroids?

How can you tell from just that story...
Old 01-13-2005, 11:22 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by titanium barchetta
You mean steroids?

How can you tell from just that story...
I dont know how he can tell either but by the way i saw him fly by me like a bat out of hell i think he had to have had nos