Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Band Clamps/exhaust leak

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-2005, 01:54 AM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Band Clamps/exhaust leak

Ok so as i was installing the Y pipe on my Pacesetters i clamped down the band clamp and then all of a sudden the damn Pipe shifted on me. I had to take it off, reposition everything and i clamped it back down. Would something like this cause the big exhaust leak im experiancing now? Would a new band Clamp with some Hi temp cooper RTV fix this? thanks
Old 01-12-2005, 07:55 AM
Kleeborp the Moderator™

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Bluehawk27
Ok so as i was installing the Y pipe on my Pacesetters i clamped down the band clamp and then all of a sudden the damn Pipe shifted on me. I had to take it off, reposition everything and i clamped it back down. Would something like this cause the big exhaust leak im experiancing now? Would a new band Clamp with some Hi temp cooper RTV fix this? thanks
Band clamps stretch when tightened, so if you loosened it and retightened it, it may have been enough. I'd just get a new band clamp, but skip on the RTV. If you do anything, just wrap a single wrap of header wrap (that's a lot of "wraps") around it before putting the band clamp over it.
Old 01-12-2005, 09:06 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Ive had luck by running a bead of high temp copper RTV on the edge of the clamp... Thats the outside of the clamp... Make sure you get the o2 safe stuff...
Old 01-12-2005, 09:08 AM
TECH Addict

That's what's been causing mine to eat driver 02's, as I just found it leaking out the top edge on my driver side.
Old 01-12-2005, 06:03 PM
TECH Fanatic

RTV won't affect your O2's as long as it is downstream from them. Not to mention they have sensor safe RTV. I'd get the two pipes tach welded together and then use the band clamp with RTV. No leaks.

Quick Reply: Band Clamps/exhaust leak