Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

GMMG with E-cutout! Is it worth it?

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-2005, 12:24 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation GMMG with E-cutout! Is it worth it?

I have a pretty stock 98' SS with a GMMG exhaust on it. Is it worth getting a cutout like a QTP or StreetPro? I had a 85' Monte Carlo SS with a gutted cat and dual powereffect mufflers with dumps and it was mean sounding motherf--ker! That 305 sounded meaner then my 350 Camaro with the GMMG. I need my Camaro to sound mean. Could this help it??? Thanks for any advice!
Old 01-13-2005, 12:30 AM
TECH Senior Member

Get headers. That'll be a mean sumbitch. I'm runnin headers and a y-pipe into the open air right now....hot damn!!! Wish I had a GMMG to bolt up to it
Old 01-13-2005, 12:44 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

A cutout before GMMG won't be too much louder than the GMMG is already, and won't sound as good as the GMMG either. If you get LT's and an ORY, then it will be very loud and obnoxious.
Old 01-13-2005, 08:32 AM
11 Second Club

i really like cutouts.. i have a QTP Electric one.. its just so sweet to close it and open it from that little switch

you will be louder with one.. since you are not going through the muffler
Old 01-13-2005, 05:51 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Durien
i really like cutouts.. i have a QTP Electric one.. its just so sweet to close it and open it from that little switch

you will be louder with one.. since you are not going through the muffler
GMMG doesnt have a "muffler", I don't really know what to call it, all I know is that it doesnt really muffler anything. This is why a cutout won't make it THAT much louder.
Old 01-13-2005, 05:54 PM
TECH Senior Member

they call it a muffler. its not designed to muffle anything really tho, just alter the sound. it definitely doesn't make it quiet.
Old 01-13-2005, 08:08 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

when i first had my gmmg installed I was pretty amazed how it sounded. then i had kooks lts installed and HOLY ****, It sounded awsome. WOT it isawsomely(is that a word) LOUD. I absolutely love it. I have a qtp electric cut out but i dont think im giong to install it because i dont want to mess with the sound i have right now. how difference in sound would it be?
Old 01-13-2005, 08:43 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by Ferocity02
GMMG doesnt have a "muffler", I don't really know what to call it, all I know is that it doesnt really muffler anything. This is why a cutout won't make it THAT much louder.

its not straight pipe like a cutout will be.... so yes the cutout will still be louder
Old 01-13-2005, 08:47 PM
TECH Apprentice

I'll let you guys be the judge of my old car: http://sio.midco.net/dvandentop4/josh.wmv
Old 01-13-2005, 08:52 PM
TECH Resident

If ya want it really loud just put 2 cutouts on the y pipe.
Old 01-14-2005, 12:35 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by KrazyDan
when i first had my gmmg installed I was pretty amazed how it sounded. then i had kooks lts installed and HOLY ****, It sounded awsome. WOT it isawsomely(is that a word) LOUD. I absolutely love it. I have a qtp electric cut out but i dont think im giong to install it because i dont want to mess with the sound i have right now. how difference in sound would it be?
Hey Dan! How much did you pay for your kooks lts and catted y-pipe? And how do you get the car smogged? I live in California too and I want to do the headers, but then my car will not pass the smog inspection! Is there a way around this. I like your set-up! Thanks for the info guys.
Old 01-14-2005, 12:35 AM
10 Second Club

Thumbs up

Get the QTP cut out, it ROCKS!

www.quicktimeperformance.com
Old 01-14-2005, 03:16 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by LS1LT1
Get the QTP cut out, it ROCKS!

www.quicktimeperformance.com
How much of a discount do you get on QTP's gear for always pimpin their stuff, huh?
Old 01-14-2005, 03:39 PM
TECH Senior Member

Old 01-14-2005, 03:55 PM
TECH Senior Member

Just put the cutouts right after the header with some turndowns. I have two street pros and that **** is loud. It makes the duals seem quiet.
Old 01-14-2005, 04:00 PM
TECH Apprentice

Look in to a QTP cutout package. I had this on my car for a while then changed my setup. I sold it to one of my friends and he has had it for a year now.( He drives in the winter) It still works great. QTP has a great quality piece----->go with them.
Old 01-14-2005, 08:35 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by MasterOfPuppets
Hey Dan! How much did you pay for your kooks lts and catted y-pipe? And how do you get the car smogged? I live in California too and I want to do the headers, but then my car will not pass the smog inspection! Is there a way around this. I like your set-up! Thanks for the info guys.
i will worry about the smog when the time comes(2006). the only thing it wont pass is the visual. hopefully someone will "forget" to look.
Old 01-14-2005, 10:10 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by KrazyDan
i will worry about the smog when the time comes(2006). the only thing it wont pass is the visual. hopefully someone will "forget" to look.
If you find that guy Dan! Let me know where he or she is located!
Old 01-14-2005, 10:42 PM
NKAWTG...N

unless your moving alot of exhaust (like more cubes) then i don't think you will find much of a gain from a cut out. gmmg flows pretty well already so you won't have too much of a gain, but i guess if your really hard core then ever little bit helps, and if you have the free time and money for an e-cutout then by all means do it.
Old 01-15-2005, 12:08 AM
TECH Fanatic

I just can't understand why some of you guys would pay all of that money for a GMMG system only to throw a cutout on the I-pipe... The cutout is very noticeably louder INSIDE the car no doubt (of course, dumping anything under the car will be ). However, outside the car, the GMMG is basically as loud (a little quieter at idle), but with a MUCH better tone than the cutout, Loudmouth, or wide-open Borla. That's the thing about the GMMG cat-back...Surprisingly quiet inside the car at idle or cruise, but sounds completely different outside the car (very deep & muscular). Loud, yet refined! Trust me, I too thought it has sounded fairly tame inside the car on every one of my Camaro's I've had it on while running around town until I got to hear it outside the car... And whomever said headers & highflow cats dramatically improve the tone/volume is 100% correct. Kooks LT's + a highflow catted Y-pipe made a HUGE difference in how my '02 sounded afterwards! Can't wait to get some Mac's for my LT1.

BTW, you won't gain hardly anything on a stock or near stockish car with an open cutout over the GMMG (it flows very, very well). And even on a highly modified set-up, you'll only give up maybe 5 horses to the rear wheels at the most with the GMMG which is truly awesome.

My vote is the GMMG + headers/highflow cats + a nice cam.