View Full Version : one room in house 10 degrees hotter then any other??? help

LS1_PNYTAMR
01-13-2005, 02:42 AM
well we got a decent sized house, 5bdroom 3.5 bath right.. im in the like back hall on the first floor in the backroom, kinda away from everything.. my bro and parents sleep on other side of the house wiwth living room and dining room inb/t us sorta if u can imagine..

now the rest of the house will be about 67 degrees, all there rooms, living room, dining room, hallway, the bathroom next to my room, the hallway, and get this, right outside my door it feels amazingly cool and pleasant, step into my room and step onto the surface of the damn sun... my vents are closed and have shit placed on top of them, no heat comes thru, still hot as hell, cant turn the thermostat down anymore out there b/c the rest of the house would have to be 55 degrees for my room to be normal it seems, i have no fan in my room.. i like to sleep under the covers all bundled up, cant stand not to be covered up. if it was up to me it'd be 60 even in my room.. i like it cold with more covers, right now i sweat with no covers! any advice on how to cool this mutha down??? only thing i can think of is the way the roof slopes downward at my side of the house, there is less above me.. infact mine would be more attic above me then upstairs.. this i would think would make my room colder, not hotter! help? there any kind of lil cooler thing i can buy and plug up to put out some air? fans really wont help much, just blow 80 degree air around right? help guys its 3am here and i cant fuggin sleep. :(

Camaroz
01-13-2005, 03:28 AM
got any windows?? open em....

JBlaze
01-13-2005, 09:36 AM
ZMC, How many thermostats do you have in the house? If there are more than one, controlling different areas of the house, one of them either needs to be removed and adjusted, or replaced altogether. If you only have one in the house, I recommend checking the duct(s) that lead into your room. One (or all of the ducts) may very well be clogged, bent, or damaged in a way that is preventing proper air flow to your room.

Other than that, I'd recommend that you turn off those sticky icky grow lamps! j/k

Hope this helps.

jmX
01-13-2005, 01:35 PM
You have lots of computers or electronics in the room?

Ling_650vette
01-13-2005, 01:44 PM
A fan would work if its was a floor fan being it would move the air enough to feel colder than it really is. If it was a ceiling fan, it'd only help to about 5-7 degree's or so unless it was on warp-speed. Like jmX said, if you have a bunch of computers or electronics than thats definatly going to make it feel hotter.

BizZzatch350
01-13-2005, 02:29 PM
My expert opinion belives your house is in fact haunted. Any case how old is the house? I have heard a lot of time problems like this are due to ducting.

DriveATransAm
01-13-2005, 06:21 PM
perhaps a butterfly type valve on one of a ducts in the basement (or wherever the furnace is) needs to be adjusted. its actually inside the duct and you would only see like a knob thingie. at my parents house we had those. kinda helps to redirect more or less air to different parts of the house and what not. also, do all the rooms have return ducts?

LS1_PNYTAMR
01-13-2005, 06:33 PM
one thermostat nothing wrong.. i have computer and a lil fridge thing in the room to keep drinks in. . tv ect ect.. i turned all that off last nite except the fridge which is about 2.5 ft tall and about 2.5 foot deep.

Spazdout
01-13-2005, 06:38 PM
Well....the attic was actually a problem in my house, we had to re-inuslate the attic to get the room feeling normal, but this was during the summer.....since its winter i'd check out the ducts.....something could of gotten in there and died.

LS1_PNYTAMR
01-13-2005, 07:57 PM
nah.. u guys dont understand.. house is only like 4 years old.. nothing is blocking the ducts.. we have the heat on at nite as its like 50 degrees at best at nite, so if anything it should be cooler if they were blocked, this is why i closed the vent and set shit on top of it to block off the heat, room is still 10 degrees warmer then any toher part, must be the fridge and the computer..

anyone think a big f'in fan would really help it be 5-7 degrees cooler??

infinitebird
01-13-2005, 08:00 PM
My parents house is like this. The entire downstairs is on average 5-10 degrees colder than the upstairs.

DriveATransAm
01-13-2005, 08:32 PM
whats under your room.

SmokingWS6
01-13-2005, 09:26 PM
Furnace and water heater under your room? My friends room was like that, I couldnt stand hanging out in it. Tv, stereo, two computers, lights and people made it about 15* hotter than the rest of the house. The fridge and computer make heat. When i'm not in my room I always keep the door open with the ceeling fan on. Helps since all the usual heat making equipment is in my room too.

Turn stuff off? what am I thinking, just buy a window unit, ac whenever you need it :jest:

tuff
01-13-2005, 09:52 PM
Buy a waterbed and don't use the heater.just kidding i would just get a heating guy there to get his opinon and if it sounds easy enough do it yourself or have him do the work if its cheap enough.

Ling_650vette
01-13-2005, 09:54 PM
It also depends on where the room is located on top of some other things. Even with the attic being above you, the heat should rise and unless the roof/attic floor is insulated like a bear trap, then the heat should still be going up into the attic and making that like a furnace instead of your room.

A fan or windowed AC unit would be of benefit tho. Also, if the window is facing on the W (I think...) side you're going to get an almost constant onslaught of heat due to its almost always in the sun.