Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

best sealing exhaust clamps

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-2005, 12:20 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Default best sealing exhaust clamps

what clamps seal the best???? V?
Old 01-14-2005, 12:21 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Jammer
what clamps seal the best???? V?
I would think a band clamp would seal the best, and they avoid crushing the pipe like typical "U" shaped clamp.
Old 01-14-2005, 01:04 AM
TECH Fanatic

Like he said above the band ones work way better. I don't like the U clamps either. Napa was the only place I could find them where I live.
Old 01-14-2005, 01:12 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

dynomax stainless band clamps.
Old 01-14-2005, 08:28 PM
TECH Fanatic

Band clamps-not really. They are meant for butting two pipes together, they dont work well with a slipfit. Try searching for band clamps on here, there is ton about how they dont seal, they stretch, etc. Best thing to do is flange your exhaust or I am going to try t-bolt clamps when my QTP's go on. Oh, there is a company called python, that sells the ultimate clamp, but they a $100 a piece Just try searching for clamps, there is a LOT of info.
Old 01-14-2005, 08:47 PM
TECH Addict

I've found that as long as you tighten the band clamps down real good (and put some anti-seize on the bolts so they won't be hell taking them off) seal pretty good. Yes they do stretch a little, but as long as you don't move them around everytime you take off the exhaust, you don't have to worry about leaks.
Old 01-14-2005, 08:53 PM
MASS seller approved

A good quality v-band clamp will seal excellent. Almost every turbo system has v-band clamps in it, but they are expensive.

A good quality stainless steel band clamp is also great and a lot cheaper. They are meant for slip fit connection, NOT for butting two pipes together. Every band clamp I have ever used has big warnings on it to not use them to butt pipes together.
A quality band clamp will also form aka 'stretch' to the pipes. I always line mine in copper rtv and never had a problem with a band clamp leaking. I just put them on with a impact until it stops and it's good to go.
Old 01-14-2005, 09:24 PM
LS1Tech Administrator

Received 1,468 Likes on 1,059 Posts

There are a few different types of band clamps, are you guys referring to the type that comes stock on the Y to I-pipe connection on LS1 cars?

In my experiance, the only time a band clamp will seal well is when the slip-fit connection is an extremly tight fit to begin with. If the slip-fit end isn't at least very snug, that joint will likely leak. For semi-loose fits, crimping with a U-clamp or welding is really the only option, IMO.
Old 01-15-2005, 12:57 AM
MASS seller approved

Originally Posted by RPM WS6
There are a few different types of band clamps, are you guys referring to the type that comes stock on the Y to I-pipe connection on LS1 cars?

In my experiance, the only time a band clamp will seal well is when the slip-fit connection is an extremly tight fit to begin with. If the slip-fit end isn't at least very snug, that joint will likely leak. For semi-loose fits, crimping with a U-clamp or welding is really the only option, IMO.
I'm referring to the band clamps that are about 3" wide so it seals about 1.5" on each side of the connection.
Old 01-15-2005, 01:04 AM
LS1Tech Administrator

Originally Posted by Tim @ EADPerformance
I'm referring to the band clamps that are about 3" wide so it seals about 1.5" on each side of the connection.
Ah, I'm glad you mentioned that because I'm considering using exactly that type of clamp on my new I-pipe. It's just as you described, 3" wide, stainless steel, and two bolt design. Are these the ones you recommend then?

I was concerned that since the metal on the band portion is rather thin that it might not be strong enough to actually seal the connection, since the pipe slipping over will be slightly rasied from the pipe it's slipping into (if that makes sense). But would you say that in your experiance this is not an issue?

Thanks.

PS. You mentioned using RTV, what application meathod do you use, putting the clamp on first and running a bead over the edges or running a bead on the underside of the band before clamping it on? Thanks.

Last edited by RPM WS6; 01-15-2005 at 01:10 AM.
Old 01-15-2005, 02:04 AM
MASS seller approved

Originally Posted by RPM WS6
Ah, I'm glad you mentioned that because I'm considering using exactly that type of clamp on my new I-pipe. It's just as you described, 3" wide, stainless steel, and two bolt design. Are these the ones you recommend then?

I was concerned that since the metal on the band portion is rather thin that it might not be strong enough to actually seal the connection, since the pipe slipping over will be slightly rasied from the pipe it's slipping into (if that makes sense). But would you say that in your experiance this is not an issue?

Thanks.

PS. You mentioned using RTV, what application meathod do you use, putting the clamp on first and running a bead over the edges or running a bead on the underside of the band before clamping it on? Thanks.
Those are the correct ones. jrp has a good pic of one in the exhaust thread up top. The metal is thin because it will tightly form to the pipes. You can clearly see where one pipe starts and the next one ends once the clamp is tight. Definately not an issue, and by far is better than any other style exhaust clamp for the price.

When I put RTV on them, I usually gob it all over the clamp, then put the clamp on the pipes. After you do one or two, you will get an idea of how much to use.
Old 01-15-2005, 02:28 AM
TECH Senior Member

Those 3" stainless steel 2 bolt band clamps are the ****. They don't let a DAMN THING get past them once tightened, even w/o RTV. Don't worry about them, you don't even need expensive ones. I got mine @ NAPA and they worked GREAT, lol.
Old 01-15-2005, 12:38 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by cyphur_traq
Those 3" stainless steel 2 bolt band clamps are the ****. They don't let a DAMN THING get past them once tightened, even w/o RTV. Don't worry about them, you don't even need expensive ones. I got mine @ NAPA and they worked GREAT, lol.

I'm going to have to disagree. If the pipes aren't a super snug fit together they will leak...I know mine leak.
Old 01-15-2005, 02:00 PM
FormerVendor

I put my TSP ypipe on with the 3" stainless band clamps and they aren't leaking. I did like Tim said and put some rtv on. I just put mine were the pipe slipped on all around that kinda thick and then put the clamp over it, no probelms so far.
Old 01-15-2005, 03:26 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by JamRWS6
I'm going to have to disagree. If the pipes aren't a super snug fit together they will leak...I know mine leak.
I can't comment about what happens with loose fitting exhausts....I had to bang my y-pipe onto my headers with a rubber mallet Right now I'm running one w/o a clamp (don't ask) and its BARELY leaking....only @ WOT can I hear it. And my car is almost stock quiet w/the Kooks LT's/ORY.....even Lane is suprised how quiet she is. Makes for a good sleeper
Old 01-15-2005, 04:12 PM
LS1Tech Administrator

This is very true, as I said above in these cases you really have to either use a crimping clamp or weld it.

But I like the idea of these band clamps for tight fits. I think I might try one this time, I'll probably use the RTV copper stuff too just for added protection....
Old 01-15-2005, 09:44 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Mine leak too. These clamps need for the slip fit too be very snug to work because the flared end of the pipe will hold the clamp off of the pipe.
Old 01-16-2005, 01:59 AM
MASS seller approved

Originally Posted by Full-Force
Mine leak too. These clamps need for the slip fit too be very snug to work because the flared end of the pipe will hold the clamp off of the pipe.
Are you just tightning these by hand?

I've never had a problem using a big impact. You can actually see it pull tight to the smaller pipe and clearly see the crease in the clamp from the joint if its tight enough.
Old 01-16-2005, 02:53 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by Tim @ EADPerformance
Are you just tightning these by hand?

I've never had a problem using a big impact. You can actually see it pull tight to the smaller pipe and clearly see the crease in the clamp from the joint if its tight enough.
I don't have access to a heavy duty impact (I can tighten tighter by hand than the impact), but I can see what you are saying. I think with an impact with some power you could get it tight enough that it would be much less prone to leaking.
Old 01-16-2005, 03:19 AM
LS1Tech Administrator

I don't have access to a heavy duty impact (I can tighten tighter by hand than the impact), but I can see what you are saying. I think with an impact with some power you could get it tight enough that it would be much less prone to leaking.
No impact should be needed. A long 1/2" drive breaker bar and strong arms will more than do the trick I'm sure. I've been able to tighten down U-clamps in this fashion even past the point where a big impact will stop.....

Quick Reply: best sealing exhaust clamps