Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Catalytic Converter for 2000 Camaro SS

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-2005, 02:24 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Catalytic Converter for 2000 Camaro SS

I am looking to purchase a 2000 Camaro SS but the owner/seller says that at the moment it has an off-road Y-pipe without cats so I need to know what I have to purchase to get it to pass inspection. Do I just need to buy a catalytic converter (more than just one?) or do I have to get a completely new exhaust for the car?

This is what the car has exhaust wise:
Pacesetter long tube headers with QTP ORY
Flowtech cutout with McCord Powerplate
Gutted SLP Dual-Dual muffler

Also how much would this type of installation cost, parts and labor?
Old 01-14-2005, 05:08 PM
12 Second Club

I got a deal for ya. If your interested and your location is close.

You buy the car and I will give you my factory 2000 manifolds, cats and y-pipe in trade for your Pacesetters with the QTP ORY. I will do all the work for free?
Old 01-14-2005, 08:52 PM
TECH Addict

You could just look for a stock exhaust in the classifieds. The whole thing from the manifolds back goes for pretty cheap for guys that upgraded their exhaust. I have all my stock exhaust, but I'm holding on to it just in case I need it in the future. (Yes, I'm a packrat) The install isn't all that bad as long as you have some jack stands, and the right tools.
Old 01-15-2005, 12:03 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by ssjunkie
I got a deal for ya. If your interested and your location is close.

You buy the car and I will give you my factory 2000 manifolds, cats and y-pipe in trade for your Pacesetters with the QTP ORY. I will do all the work for free?
Haha, its funny you mention that because a friend of mine (I posted this on another forum as well) offered that same deal! I was really trying to look for something to make the current setup pass inspection thou...

My friend suggested http://www.slponline.com/view_produc...37&BIG=31037-1 having those installed, but would the car pass inspection/emissions?
Old 01-15-2005, 12:44 AM
TECH Apprentice

It depends on your states emission laws. If your state has OBDII inspections its just a "plug and play" inspection, as long as the car doesn't throw error codes you will pass the test. As far as the visual inspection, most places don't even look or don't know what there looking for. Any car with LTs will fail a visual because the emission equipment has been either moved or removed. If the car has O2 simulators or the codes have beed turned off by computer tuning (LS1edit...) you should be good.
If you have to put the car on the rollers you will need a new CATed Y or have high flow cats welded into you ORY. You still wouldn't pass an indepth visual but no one else seems to have problems.
To be completely legal and pass both the rollers (if required...probably not) and a visual, you will need to go back to completely stock.
BTW don't trade you LT's for a stock set up, you can get a stock set cheep anywhere because everyone goes with LTs and ends up either throwing the stock setup away or trying to get a couple of bucks out of it.
Old 01-15-2005, 12:53 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by 02SS0384
It depends on your states emission laws. If your state has OBDII inspections its just a "plug and play" inspection, as long as the car doesn't throw error codes you will pass the test. As far as the visual inspection, most places don't even look or don't know what there looking for. Any car with LTs will fail a visual because the emission equipment has been either moved or removed. If the car has O2 simulators or the codes have beed turned off by computer tuning (LS1edit...) you should be good.
If you have to put the car on the rollers you will need a new CATed Y or have high flow cats welded into you ORY. You still wouldn't pass an indepth visual but no one else seems to have problems.
To be completely legal and pass both the rollers (if required...probably not) and a visual, you will need to go back to completely stock.
BTW don't trade you LT's for a stock set up, you can get a stock set cheep anywhere because everyone goes with LTs and ends up either throwing the stock setup away or trying to get a couple of bucks out of it.
Thanks for the info and advice, I guess I will have to figure out Maryland's emissions laws.
Old 01-15-2005, 03:48 AM
Deranged Rat Fink

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yup , in TN an OBDII car does not get the sniffer just the scanner and a visual to see if the cats are there and the fuel filler neck has not been punched out. Why would anyone punch the flap out of the filler neck on a newer car ? That's the gov't for ya.
Old 01-15-2005, 10:11 AM
12 Second Club

Default inspection

To retag a vehicle after a title transfer it has to be maryland inspected as you know. Marylands inspection is for safety. They go down a check list and if the exhaust dosn't have holes in it, it will pass. You SES light can even be on and pass.

All you have to worry about after that is the emissions test which is not related to maryland inspection. All the info on that is just above.

Quick Reply: Catalytic Converter for 2000 Camaro SS