Automatic Transmission 2-Speed thru 10-Speed GM Autos | Converters | Shift Kits
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

10 ttranny gone. need help!!!!!!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-2005, 06:08 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 10 ttranny gone. need help!!!!!!!!!

i have a 2000 silverado. had my tranny fully built last jan. it had 72k miles on it. its a year later and it has 75k miles on the truck and i just blew #10. i am at a loss. i lost 3rd and 4th gear before i had the tranny built. i have lost 3rd and 4th gear 8 times and destroyed a ring or planetary gear in tranny and ripped the spline shaft out of the drum on a 100 shot racing someone. i have had this thing back repeadily. i am pulling my hair out and am ready to burn this damn show truck to the ground. the tranny typically lasts me anywhere from 150 miles to 1500 the longest but it took 3 months to do it and it sat for weeks at a time. too scared to drive it or hot rod it because of the recurring issues. i have to drive my truck like a bi@tch cuz i will explode driving to the store, getting girls (embarassing) or back out the drive way. i dont like the fact that i was told i dare you to blow it up and i didnt have to try to do that, i drove it home and bammmm!! oh when one of the jackasses at the shop put the 4l60e back in they cracked a piece of the tranny off so they put in a built 400e. that was in april or may of last year. just found that out 3 months ago. after that install i lost 3rd and 4th gear 5 times in a 2 month period(thats part of the 10 losses). how can i trouble shoot this issue with my truck? the tranny shop says that there is a electrical problem with my truck that is causing the line pressure to drop. the line pressure was raised to 190psi originally and after i took out the drum it was dropped to factory. i got a tech bulletin from mitchell and alldata saying that the re-usable oil air filter( k&N etc...) oils are hitting the mass air flow sensors causing drivability issues and loss of clutch packs or bands. also too the was a bulletin about faulty pcm's for certain year silverado's. cleaned my mass air sensor and replaced it with a new one. the dealerships out here wont run a diagnostic because they say that my truck is too heavily modified from stock. so that is a no go. the tranny shop says that they want me to buy a new one and see if the issues go away. if they do then we know for sure that it was the 400e that is causing the issues. why should i have to pay for a tranny again. paid $2600 the 1st time and $600 in towing fees. if the mass air flow sensor is unplugged how long will it take for the tranny to burn up? mine did in only 40 miles. got the truck back wedn. had issues was told to bring it back in the morning and lost 1st 3rd an 4th on the way to the shop. only had second.
list of mods.
K&N filter charger
gibson headers
f-d up tranny
4:10 gears
hypertech gears
4/6 drop
and 20's.
thanks for your help. from one one pissed off bowtie owner
p.s i am using a 15 band clutch pack.

Last edited by dumpdsilverado; 01-14-2005 at 06:12 PM. Reason: forgot to put something in
Old 01-14-2005, 06:23 PM
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

No offense but you are the problem.
if the mass air flow sensor is unplugged how long will it take for the tranny to burn up? mine did in only 40 miles.
It didn't just burn up, it was acting up and you ignored it.

oh when one of the jackasses at the shop put the 4l60e back in they cracked a piece of the tranny off so they put in a built 400e.
400e?
p.s i am using a 15 band clutch pack.
wow wtf is that.
Same shop fixing all 10 transmissions?
Old 01-14-2005, 06:45 PM
Teching In

i didnt unplug the mass air. i left the shop and it acted up and i pulled off the road called the tranny shop. they said bring it in tomorrow. i checked under the hood. the mass air was unplugged. plugged it in drove home. it threw a engine code when i was driving. so i did not ignore it. thats why i pulled over.

the shop cracked my 4l60e case and replaced it with a turbo 400 or a 400 something. i dont care. it doesnt belong in the truck. i paid to have a 4l60e built to last. they supposidly converted the 400 to work with my truck. i dont know. all i know is that i have had nothing but issues. yes it is the same shop. cuz its covered under warranty. i have given them many chances to fix it. the owner of the shop said he put in a 15 pack which is better than the 9 pack clutch set up i had the 1st time. im going by what the owner told me. i have heard alot of things from them. i am frustrated beyond belief so im sorry if i f-d up and didnt put the correct or proper technical part listing down.
I dont think i am the cause. i havent done anything but drive the truck to work, home etc.. or it sat at home. the reason why i asked about the mass air issue of being unplugged is because he was telling me that in the 20 min it took to for the engine light to come on and me pull over it started to take out the tranny. wanted to see if this was true. i dont know how long it takes that is why i asked. making sure i am not being bullsh&*(-ed. ya know.
Old 01-14-2005, 07:02 PM
Banned

You are being bullshitted.
A 15 pack clutch, no such thing.
Took out a 4L60E (big $$$ core) and put in a th400 (low $ core), sounds fishy to me.
The th400 is a three speed auto, did you not notice the missing gear? The engine would have been going 700-1000 rpm faster while cruising.
Two thirds of the ses codes would be the VCM detecting missing electronics from the 4L60E that was no longer there.

You need to do three things.
1. find a shop that will fix it right.
2. take legal action against the shop you've been taking it to.
3. Don't ask people on this message board to help you with your transmission problems, your problems are the shop, don't go there again.
Thats my opinion for whatever it's worth.
Old 01-14-2005, 07:14 PM
Teching In

believe me it doesnt sound right. that is why i am asking questions. i am taking actions with the shop to get my money back or what ever comes. well thanks for telling me the th400 is a 3 spd. did not know. but then again if i did i wouldnt be asking these stupid questions then. im not trying to be a *** i just wanted to find help so i dont have to use that shop. i do appreciate you trying to help even if i felt like you came at me wrong but i do understand cuz i explained things wrong cuz i was mislead. thanks again.

Originally Posted by jxaxsxoxn
You are being bullshitted.
A 15 pack clutch, no such thing.
Took out a 4L60E (big $$$ core) and put in a th400 (low $ core), sounds fishy to me.
The th400 is a three speed auto, did you not notice the missing gear? The engine would have been going 700-1000 rpm faster while cruising.
Two thirds of the ses codes would be the VCM detecting missing electronics from the 4L60E that was no longer there.

You need to do three things.
1. find a shop that will fix it right.
2. take legal action against the shop you've been taking it to.
3. Don't ask people on this message board to help you with your transmission problems, your problems are the shop, don't go there again.
Thats my opinion for whatever it's worth.
Old 01-14-2005, 07:41 PM
Banned

3. Don't ask people on this message board to help you with your transmission
You know you can ask, but your main concern right now is getting your transmission right and getting your money back from the shop that screwed it up.

I know that being mad over something like this can come accross wrong so I don't take offense to it, I've been accused of it myself. I'd be pissed too.
Old 01-14-2005, 08:33 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Geez, Turbo 400 is your last hope
Old 01-15-2005, 09:18 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

were any of your mods made recently? any check engine light codes?

Are your tranny temps normal?

Definitely go to another shop. Make sure they can do a good job - get references. You might post in a regional forum to find a shop.

After the Rebuild, make sure they flush the converter and cooler, and put a pressure gauage on the tranny after they are done and make sure the line pressure is right.
Old 01-15-2005, 10:15 AM
TECH Veteran

the shop cracked my 4l60e case and replaced it with a turbo 400 or a 400 something. i dont care. it doesnt belong in the truck. i paid to have a 4l60e built to last. they supposidly converted the 400 to work with my truck. i dont know.
You should have spoken up. It doesn't work that way. When something breaks you don't replace it with something totally different. Your words tell me that most of this is your own fault. First of all you use terms like "i dont care" and "I dont know" and you should care and you should know what is going on with your truck and what is being done to it and make them fix it right. Another thing is you shouldn't have waited this long to ask for help...just something to remember for next time. And thirdly, when you modify a vehicle and abuse (race, WOT, ect) it things are going to break on it.
Look we dont mean to give you hard time or anything, obviously you are new here, but you need to figure out what is going on with your truck first, if there really is something else causing your tranny problems, and then ask around for a GOOD shop that will do it right.

Good Luck!
Old 01-15-2005, 12:44 PM
Teching In

i did speak up when i found out the tranny was wrong. i have been trying to get a new 4l60e in since oct or so. i do understand that things break racing yada yada. been racing imports, building show trucks with chargers or bottle. so i know the things that can happen. with the i dont know and i dont care comments. obviously i do care but you have to understand how frustrated i am. i asked for help on diagnosing the problem. so what i am asking is how do i check the pcm to see if it working properly, how to track down a faulty wireharness/or from peoples experiences here where have the wireingharnesses gone bad on there car/truck etc.. no one has once answered my question in regards to trouble shooting. i am in the process of having bar involved and from there legal. i have tools, access to scanners etc.. from a shop. the deal is work comp is f-ing me. im about to lose my house, have to sell my truck w/ tranny probs, cant afford to do shi@t so i am here asking fro help. i dont need sympathy just help on what to do. my auction for ebay ends in 3 days and if someone buys the truck i need it fixed.
Old 01-15-2005, 12:54 PM
Teching In

no none of the mods were recent. only new thing was bottle(100 shot). but the was sold in april of last year so that wouldnt be a problem anymore. but it was rarley used. it is thowing a code for low bank one and two. been waiting for truck to come back to replace the cats. then that is fixed and no other codes have been seen at all. i have reset or cleared the pcm codes. drove it till the ses came back on and ran the scanner on it again. same low bank 1/2 efficiency. on my silverado there is no tranny temp gauge but i borrowed my freinds escalade gauges for a week because it has a tranny gauge. it was in normal specs according to the dealer.The sad thing is this shop builds drag car trannies as well as heavy duty suv trannies. he is the shi@t when it comes to non electrical trannies. the shop is well known thats why i went there. thanks for our help.
Old 01-15-2005, 01:04 PM
Banned

so what i am asking is how do i check the pcm to see if it working properly, how to track down a faulty wireharness/or from peoples experiences here where have the wireingharnesses gone bad on there car/truck etc..
First of all you can't check it now. When you check for a bad transmission wiring harness any tool you use checks everything from the VCM to the transmission.
Right now you have a harness with 12 wires in it hanging somewhere under your truck.
You can test for open circuits or shorts by ohm testing the wires from the VCM to the trans connector. Thats about it right now.
I don't know what to tell you. Either get a working 4L60E in there or since you have access to scanners,,,,,can you reflash the VCM?
You should scan it for codes, you should see some like '1-2 shift solinoid open circuit'
You can reflash the VCM to make it so it doesn't look for the 1-2 shift solinoid and everything else thats throwing codes. You should be seeing codes from lack of 1-2, 3-2, 3-4, tcc solinoids and trans temp sensor. Probably the speed sensors too.
Just convert it to a th400 and sell it as that, some people may consider that a good thing.
Old 01-15-2005, 02:53 PM
Teching In

thank you so much i will start testing things on the truck on monday when i go to shop. i will find out for sure if the shop is putting a new 4l60e or trying the same pos 400. but atleast now i can try to trouble shoot on my own. all your info and help is appreciated.