Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Home Built Rear Anti-Roll Bar/ Pics

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-2005, 02:02 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Home Built Rear Anti-Roll Bar/ Pics

After I built my Torque arm and panhard bar, I decided to try building a heavy duty anti roll bar since fab work is sort of fun for me.
I used a online sway bar rate calculator to estimate the rates of various aftermarket designs and help in designing mine.
A 1 1/8" x 3/16" wall thickness hollow front bar was the donor for the torsion bar. I cut the ends off and welded 7.5" arms to the ends which are made from 3/16" steel. The center bearing support distance is 26.5".This gives a rate of over 900lbs.
I made mounts that are welded to the axle tubes that drop the bar just enough for clearance. It fits very well. End link mounts are welded to the frame rails. The end links are located just inside of the frame rails
and give plenty of room to get at the links when the tires are mounted. I used big 3/4" rod ends for the end links.
I decided to use poly bearing mounts as I do drive the thing on the street and wanted a little noise isolation.
Hardest part of building it was making sure everything was perfectly aligned before welding. Total weight is 16lbs with all hardware.

Steve
Old 01-15-2005, 02:18 PM
LS1Tech Co-Founder

Received 1,099 Likes on 721 Posts

Sweet, you really have some fab skillz Steve.
Old 01-15-2005, 02:20 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

damn nice piece.
Old 01-15-2005, 04:11 PM
Motorboater

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

very impressive indeed!

looking forward to seeing your track results with these pieces..
Old 01-15-2005, 06:31 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Thanks guys. I was going to make some lca's also but just bought some Jegsters with solid rear bushings and rod ends up front. So I'm looking forward to testing this thing out once winter gives way here. Every single part of the rear suspension is new besides the shocks, which I'll replace when I can afford to.
And if anything breaks besides the control arms, I know who to blame!

Steve
Old 01-15-2005, 08:32 PM
8 SEC SLOPPY SHOT!!!

I like seeing people fab there own stuff. Im in the middle of doing a custom true duel with a sphon tork arm.Your close to me we should hook up.
Old 01-16-2005, 07:07 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 19 Likes on 13 Posts

great work!
Old 01-19-2005, 08:31 AM
TECH Addict

Very impressive
Old 01-19-2005, 12:05 PM
12 Second Club

Very nice looking piece! I wish I had the skills to fabricate like that. I probably could have saved myself a ton of money.

Old 01-19-2005, 06:05 PM
9 Second Club

Originally Posted by S_J_H
Thanks guys. I was going to make some lca's also but just bought some Jegsters with solid rear bushings and rod ends up front. So I'm looking forward to testing this thing out once winter gives way here. Every single part of the rear suspension is new besides the shocks, which I'll replace when I can afford to.
And if anything breaks besides the control arms, I know who to blame!

Steve
If you want some sound isolation, you're gonna hate those Jegster LCA's - I have them and they are noisy as can be They do get the job done though!
Old 01-20-2005, 01:57 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Thanks again for the compliments everybody!
If you want some sound isolation, you're gonna hate those Jegster LCA's - I have them and they are noisy as can be They do get the job done though!
I switched out the cheap front rod ends they came with and used top quality ends. I used the ends that came with the lca's for the male rod ends on the anti-rollbar.
Also fitted nylon washers to take up the side play slack of the solid bushings. They should be pretty quiet now.

Eventually I'll replace the endlinks on the swaybar with good rod ends also. As even on the swaybar I can hear some racket coming from the inexpensive rod ends.
Steve
Old 01-20-2005, 04:24 PM
9 Second Club

Originally Posted by S_J_H
Thanks again for the compliments everybody!

I switched out the cheap front rod ends they came with and used top quality ends. I used the ends that came with the lca's for the male rod ends on the anti-rollbar.
Also fitted nylon washers to take up the side play slack of the solid bushings. They should be pretty quiet now.

Eventually I'll replace the endlinks on the swaybar with good rod ends also. As even on the swaybar I can hear some racket coming from the inexpensive rod ends.
Steve
The noise comes from the solid end metal inner bushing to metal outter bushing - the washers for side play may help, but I think you'll still have some rattles when you are going slow on back streets. That's when mine is worst - on the open road, it is pretty quiet. To me it is worth some noise to get the consistent 60' times I see with all solid suspension components!

BTW - Nice job on the fabricating and coming up with other improvements! I'll bet your car hooks good!

Last edited by BLK02WS6; 01-20-2005 at 04:34 PM.
Old 01-20-2005, 05:10 PM
10 Second Club

Real nice work Steve! Gonna try my hand at it w/a bar and T/A this Spring also. Like to see more pics if you have any?
Old 01-20-2005, 05:44 PM
TECH Enthusiast

BLK02WS6, well it's all snowy here and it'll be a while before I really test it all out. I'm not to concerned about noise though. I just try to minimize it.
Function is much more important to me than creature comforts at this stage

LowETz- good luck with your projects! Here are some more pics in various stages.

Steve