Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

224/224 114 cam with AFR 205s

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2005, 05:14 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 224/224 114 cam with AFR 205s

I've looked pretty thoroughly without result so far for some dyno numbers on a 224/224 581/581 114 (or 112) cam and the AFR 205 heads. I know a lot of people are using the 224/228 cam which is similar, but I'm wondering if a split cam is required for best results on these heads (and if an equal duration cam is not so good)? I know some heads are somewhat finicky about this.

There are so many 224/224 cammed cars out there that I assume someone must have tried it with the 205 heads by now. Anyone know of any numbers?

FWIW, I have a 224/224 cam myself, so I'm trying to guage the results.

TIA.
Old 01-17-2005, 06:04 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Camaro ChriSS
I've looked pretty thoroughly without result so far for some dyno numbers on a 224/224 581/581 114 (or 112) cam and the AFR 205 heads. I know a lot of people are using the 224/228 cam which is similar, but I'm wondering if a split cam is required for best results on these heads (and if an equal duration cam is not so good)? I know some heads are somewhat finicky about this.

There are so many 224/224 cammed cars out there that I assume someone must have tried it with the 205 heads by now. Anyone know of any numbers?

TIA.
Bah, that cam no workie with your heads or your stall, you should just give it to me
Old 01-17-2005, 06:15 PM
Launching!

Thanks for the response Dave. You could be more useful than that though...

Have you seen any numbers with this combo yourself? I'd be really surprised if this hasn't been done already.
Old 01-17-2005, 06:24 PM
12 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I have a friend I sold my TR224 to who is contemplating AFR heads as well but awaiting results. I haven't found anyone who did it yet.
Old 01-17-2005, 06:28 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I am way out of touch with the newest HC setups . . .are you going to sell the 224 ??
Old 01-17-2005, 06:30 PM
Flow Wizard

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

TIA.
"Search" and ye shall find....

JRP...can you "knight" me please???

I have touched on this a few times before but why would you even think about messing with a proven extremely successful combination if the cam you are considering is THAT close??

Go with the 224/228....It will make more power.

Enjoy the AFR heads....

Tony M.
Old 01-17-2005, 06:34 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Tony Mamo @ AFR

I have touched on this a few times before but why would you even think about messing with a proven extremely successful combination if the cam you are considering is THAT close??

Enjoy the AFR heads....

Tony M.
Let me know if your selling the 224 cam, before I buy the one in the used section
Old 01-17-2005, 06:42 PM
TECH Fanatic

Enjoy the AFR heads....

Tony M.
I can see his point of using 224/224/114 if he has to deal with smog, I dont know your emissions restraints, But If not, I would Definatly go with the 224/228 tony say's.
Old 01-17-2005, 06:47 PM
Launching!

Thanks Tony. I did do a lot of searching, but all I can find is results on a 224/228. That just seems a little limited to me in comparisons considering how many cams are out there in cars already (I'm not bashing you - I'm just surprised why I can't find the numbers on this 'likely' popular combo). You search on any other set of heads and you'll find a cross range of different cams that have been tried. Course, most others have been out there longer, so I can understand that.

The law of averages simply dictate that if we have 50,000 LS1s with different cams out there that at least ONE car has a 224/224 cam and AFR 205 heads that has been dyno'd already. I am simply looking for such a stat. Not too much to ask for really.

My story is the same old story that you hear a lot though - I have to consider some factors that you perhaps don't:

One, I had the cam WAY before the heads were available (or even discussed as being available).
Second, I have to tune myself for emissions, which is tougher on a 224/228 cam.

And third, I'm simply interested in the stats if they exist. I am inquisitive enough to ask the question "Has anyone tried it?" To not do so seems like irrational blind faith to me. If you don't ask, how can you learn? How do I know that a 224/224 cam will be good or bad if NO ONE had tried it? How does anyone know? If you never ask the question, how are you EVER going to know?

As far as the search button shows me, no one has got an answer for this question so far. So, I am simply inquiring.

Btw, I am certain I will enjoy the heads. I have seen the recent work on them, and it is impressive. And I do greatly respect your frequent presence here and your prompt response to phone calls. You do a great job.

Last edited by Camaro ChriSS; 01-17-2005 at 06:53 PM.
Old 01-17-2005, 07:22 PM
Flow Wizard

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Thanks Tony. I did do a lot of searching, but all I can find is results on a 224/228. That just seems a little limited to me in comparisons considering how many cams are out there in cars already (I'm not bashing you - I'm just surprised why I can't find the numbers on this 'likely' popular combo). You search on any other set of heads and you'll find a cross range of different cams that have been tried. Course, most others have been out there longer, so I can understand that.

The law of averages simply dictate that if we have 50,000 LS1s with different cams out there that at least ONE car has a 224/224 cam and AFR 205 heads that has been dyno'd already. I am simply looking for such a stat. Not too much to ask for really.

My story is the same old story that you hear a lot though - I have to consider some factors that you perhaps don't:

One, I had the cam WAY before the heads were available (or even discussed as being available).

And third, I'm simply interested in the stats if they exist. I am inquisitive enough to ask the question "Has anyone tried it?" To not do so seems like irrational blind faith to me. If you don't ask, how can you learn? How do I know that a 224/224 cam will be good or bad if NO ONE had tried it? How does anyone know? If you never ask the question, how are you EVER going to know?

As far as the search button shows me, no one has got an answer for this question so far. So, I am simply inquiring.

Btw, I am certain I will enjoy the heads. I have seen the recent work on them, and it is impressive. And I do greatly respect your frequent presence here and your prompt response to phone calls. You do a great job.
Thanks Chris...much appreciated

I do enjoy a little humor with my "technical advice", and couldn't resist the oppurtunity.

I would go with the 224/224 if you plan on passing emissions...it will run slightly cleaner, provide a modest increase in performance below 4000, and will only give up about 6-8 HP to it's larger 224/228 brother.

You might even consider a 115 LSA to be extra safe...this is advice for a guy that doesn't already have one in hand, obviously.

Go for it...let us know how it works out.

Regards,
Tony M.
Old 01-17-2005, 07:45 PM
TECH Fanatic

I' be able to let you know not this saturday but the next.
Old 01-17-2005, 07:55 PM
Launching!

Tony, thanks for your thoughts. Always highly appreciated. It still surprises me that I can't find someone who has done it already, but I'm sure that will soon change. Lol, I certainly wouldn't blame that on YOU!

LBCSS, I'm sending you an email or PM.
Old 01-17-2005, 09:10 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Enjoy the AFR heads....

Tony M.
Maybe it is in your other posts, but you might post the rest of the specs needed to reproduce your cam such as which lobes, LSA, and advance.
Old 01-23-2005, 10:05 PM
Staging Lane

if you want more power go with the 224/228 but if you are struggling with emissions keep the 224