Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

98 Pcm

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2005, 10:51 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default 98 Pcm

I know that when u have a 98 your only to use the same os bin files as your own but are there any enterchangable ones in 98? i have done the a4 to m6 swap but still havent been able to find one damn m6 pcm to match my 98's auto os id number of 9352086. i have found atleast 6 other 98 pcms all with different numbers. if i can just flash another os on id like to know but could someone explain why the different os numbers would effect the pcms programming to the extent of flashing another on would cause damage???
Old 01-17-2005, 10:58 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

from what I've been told...

You can reflash your PCM w/the same OS ID w/out a problem if using partial write (normal write for HPT)
but you must be 100% certain that it's the same or else you will toast your PCM

you can do a full rewrite via the Pro Version (everyone has the Pro Version now) w/out a problem though... just take precautions as write failure during a full rewrite can also cause issues... (make sure battery is topped up on laptop and car, don't use a USB to Serial converter)

w/the 98 F-Body PCM you can ONLY flash 98 F-Body OS's on the car... don't even try flashing a 99-02 OS on it ... (it's 100% different hardware and pinouts)
Old 01-17-2005, 11:05 PM
On The Tree

im tryin to understand what u said.. are u saying with my 1.6 version of hptuners i can flash any 98 os id # on and it will be ok? or are u just sayin i can flash someone elses bin file with the same os id as mine which i already knew???
Old 01-17-2005, 11:28 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by nitrousfed
im tryin to understand what u said.. are u saying with my 1.6 version of hptuners i can flash any 98 os id # on and it will be ok? or are u just sayin i can flash someone elses bin file with the same os id as mine which i already knew???

if you can find a .bin that is the same OS ID as your current PCM... you can do a partial rewrite .. you can write ANY .bin that is the same OS ID as you

full rewrite you can flash ANY 98 OS to your PCM .. but there's a chance of loosing the pcm (frying)
Old 01-18-2005, 12:07 AM
On The Tree

i keep hearing that but ive never heard a single specific case where someone fried it doing a rewrite with the same 98 pcm with different os id numbers... the main problem right now is i just got done swapping a4 to m6 and it wont start.. im still on my a4 bin file and havent changed the wiring but i did keep the prnd switch hooked up and off to the side to test the mechanics but it wont start. i also have my security light on and i scanned the dtc's and it says " 1626 - Theft Deterrent Fuel Enable Signal Not Received" i have no clue what has that tripped because the only thing that is different in the wiring in the main hookup on the auto is now unhooked and hanging??
Old 01-18-2005, 12:17 AM
LS1TECH Sponsor

I have fried 98 PCM's using Write Calibration Only using a file that was of a different OS than what was currently on the PCM. Sometimes they are recoverable, but sometimes they are not.

If you are going to be using a file that is of a different operating system you better use the Rewrite Entire VCM feature.

- Keith, HP Tuners
Old 01-18-2005, 12:46 AM
On The Tree

all ive ever done is i guess the partial.. whats the deal with this full rewrite can i do it with my version.. i just updated to 1.6 but i still ahve the cable i bought last july??
Old 01-18-2005, 12:50 AM
LS1TECH Sponsor

All the info regarding the differences is located in the help files.
Old 01-18-2005, 12:54 AM
On The Tree

oh i so i need the pro version to be able to fully rewrite
Old 01-18-2005, 01:10 AM
LS1TECH Sponsor

All users received the pro version for free in 1.6.. so you can fully rewrite.
Old 01-18-2005, 01:16 AM
On The Tree

lmao i was just coming back to erase my previous post.. i just updated and it made the rewrite entire vcm button accessable.. thanks keith. ill let everyone know if it worked out ok
Old 01-18-2005, 08:18 AM
On The Tree

well i did an entire vcm rewrite with a different os and it was successful. but the code i mentioned earlier still was there and i think it might be whats keeping my car from starting
Old 01-18-2005, 03:27 PM
On The Tree

well i did an entire vcm rewrite with a different os and it was successful. but the code i mentioned earlier still was there and i think it might be whats keeping my car from starting

edit: fyi i searched and found this about the code earlier posted by icebox

"The Vehicle Theft Deterrent system consists of the following components:

Powertrain Control Module (PCM)
Body Control Module (BCM)
Ignition Lock and Key

The Vehicle Theft Deterrent system is designed to disable vehicle operation if the incorrect key or starting procedure is used. The Body Control Module enables the crank circuit to the starter and sends a signal to the PCM if the correct key is being used. If the proper signal does not reach the PCM on the fuel enable circuit, the PCM will not pulse the injectors ON and thus not allow the vehicle to continue to operate, even if the crank circuit is bypassed. The proper signal is between 40-60 Hz and is measured using the DC scale on the DMM.

Inspect the GAGE fuse for an open. The GAGE fuse open casues DTC P1626 to set.

If the engine starts and then stalls, the Body Control Module is not suppling the appropriate signal or the theft deterrent fuel enable circuit is open, shorted to a ground, or shorted to a voltage.

Using the Freeze Frame and/or Failure Records data may aid in locating an intermittent condition. If you cannot duplicate the DTC, the information included in the freeze frame and/or failure records data can help determine how many miles since the DTC set. The Fail counter and the Pass counter can also aid in determining how many ignition cycles the diagnostic reported a pass and/or a fail. Operate the vehicle within the same freeze frame conditions (RPM, load, vehicle speed, temperature etc.) that the PCM recorded. This will isolate when the DTC failed"

But What is a GAGE fuse? does he mean the fuse for the gauges??
Old 01-18-2005, 05:54 PM
TECH Senior Member

its the GAGE fuse on side of the dash fuse box. , it may say gauges, or dash, ect.

If it is blown, the car will crank, but not start.

Ryan
Old 01-18-2005, 09:16 PM
On The Tree

well it ended up being a connector under the steering column that needed to be left unplugged.. i dunno why but as soon as i unpluged it fired right up.. lucky guess lmao
Old 02-16-2009, 10:49 PM
11 Second Club

If an auto to M6 swap was done on a 98. Can LS1edit use a 98 M6 file to reflash the Auto PCM?