Sponsored by:

Replacing Crankshaft, need a little advice

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-2005, 08:33 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Replacing Crankshaft, need a little advice

first post! yay

ok, 2000 Z28, spud a rod bearing. scoured the crap out of the crank, getting a new one. So, after all the hassle of engine puliing, got the crank out last night.

couple questions:
1) car only has 41k miles, should I worry about even taking the heads off at all or just leave all that alone?
2) as I've only put 7k miles on this car, and after reading a whole bunch about bent pushrods, would it be worth it to put some new pushrods in since i have everything out? I was looking at some chrome-moly ones from SLP, is this worth it? if so,can I get away with just putting new pushrods in and using the same springs and not even taking the heads off?
3) the piston rod that spun the rod bearing is showing some wear but not too much, can I get away with just putting a new crank with new bearings in or should I replace the one piston rod? I can post links to pics if needed
4) I'm thinking I spun the rod bearing from racing around an oval track at around a constant 4-5k rpm for about a minute a run, and am assuming all my oil got sloshed around and didnt go where needed. Is it worth it getting a new oil pump, or will I need a bigger oil pan to go with a new pump?
5) lastly, are the double link thingie timing chains worth it, or is the stock single chain more than enough for whatever i'll be doing?
pretty much leaving everything at at stock for now, no new cams till i learn how to not break what i've got now

Thanks a ton for any hints/advice, this is my first engine pull and hopefully the last one i'll need for this car
Old 01-19-2005, 07:05 PM
That's what she said...

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

i wouldnt pull the heads off, and i would NOT put in hardned pushrods if you are going to run the stock springs, and you have a 6 speed. if you have an automatic, you dont have to worry about missing shifts and bending pushrods on stock springs. if you have a 6-speed or an auto, and plan on doing a cam swap in the future, i would go ahead and replace the springs/pushrods with the motor out of the car. the springs are much easier to change if the motor is out, and you would have a safer motor. use some nice springs (double springs if it was me) and some hardened/chromoly pushrods.

you might call one of the sponsers -->>
and see about getting some hardened pushrods (if you have an auto) and a new stock connecting rod, they probably have one laying around the shop they would sell you for cheap.

a ported ls6 oilpump would probably be a good idea for you with that oval track stuff you were talking about, and probably need to start running some oil tailored to that kind of racing. you wont need a new oilpan or pickup tube for that pump.

the double roller chains would be overkill on a stock motor, you can put one of those on when you do your cam swap.
Old 01-20-2005, 10:18 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

ah yeah, sorry to not mention that, its a manual.

So harder pushrods shouldnt be put in if you dont use new springs too ?
I'm prolly not going to put in a new cam , most likely. But I've read about missing shifts and bending stock pushrods too and dont want to have to tear in there again if I can help it.

Oh, forgot about the flywheel. Going to go ahead and replace the clutch since I had to pull the tranny with the engine and well, could use a new clutch it looks like. Should the flywheel be turned? And, I saw on one site some billet flywheels that are lighter, anyone know what the advantage of that is ? more HP? or just a lighter engine ?