Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Kooks y-pipe . .

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-2005, 08:47 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Kooks y-pipe . .

is their catted y-pipe any good? Any issues, installation problems? How much kook's owners pay for their headers and/or catted y?
Old 01-18-2005, 10:00 PM
TECH Apprentice

no one runs kook's y-pipe?
Old 01-18-2005, 10:04 PM
12 Second Club

budy of mine got it, he likes it good clearance....he convinced me to go that style header bu i went QTP cuz i like there Y pipe better and such (flowmaster merge collect better flow) the kooks Y is very well made, Magnaflow cats on it, well thorught out....i just didnt like it i guess....tucks up nicely too....no apparent fitment issues from waht i was told
Old 01-18-2005, 10:14 PM
10 Second Club

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by 02WS6Bird
i went QTP cuz i like there Y pipe better and such (flowmaster merge collect better flow)
This is true, the QTP Y pipe is of a far superior design/fit IMO.
The Kooks Y pipe is among the better of the 'one pipe simply welded onto the other' type Ys but it's not going to deliver the potential gains/performance that the QTP will.
www.quicktimeperformance.com
Old 01-19-2005, 08:35 AM
Kleeborp the Moderator™

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by LS1LT1
This is true, the QTP Y pipe is of a far superior design/fit IMO.
The Kooks Y pipe is among the better of the 'one pipe simply welded onto the other' type Ys but it's not going to deliver the potential gains/performance that the QTP will.
www.quicktimeperformance.com
I'd agree on the superior design, but not on the superior fit. If anything, fit is equal between the two. I had the Kooks catted-y pipe before I went with over the axle duals. It fit very well...slipped on without issue. No banging, and cleared my SLP subframes without issue. I never scraped it either, so it tucked well (my car is lowered at least 1.5" all around). The QTP uses a nice merge, but personally, I think it falls right in line with one of those every little bit helps things.

Overall, I paid $1200 for the LTs and catted-y shipped to my door, complete with O2 extensions and all.
Old 01-19-2005, 11:52 AM
10 Second Club

Yes, the kooks fit very well. Apparenty Kooks did do some testing and got no benefit (more HP/TQ ) using the flowmaster merge collector, don't know how true that is...

I am actually thinking about putting the merge collector on my kooks pipe and see how it goes, if anything it should help cut the little bit of rasp i have..
Old 01-19-2005, 01:00 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by DanZ28
Yes, the kooks fit very well. Apparenty Kooks did do some testing and got no benefit (more HP/TQ ) using the flowmaster merge collector, don't know how true that is...

I am actually thinking about putting the merge collector on my kooks pipe and see how it goes, if anything it should help cut the little bit of rasp i have..

I've heard that as well. I had the ORY on before my duals and it fitment was excellent. Tucked up nice without any banging ever.

Got everything from Matt @ TTP ----->

Last edited by BLASTER; 01-19-2005 at 01:59 PM.
Old 01-19-2005, 01:05 PM
TECH Resident

I doubt that is true......most people make the Y-pipes like that because it is cheaper.
Old 01-19-2005, 04:44 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by JamRWS6
I doubt that is true......most people make the Y-pipes like that because it is cheaper.
You are correct, hence no benefit. Why put one on and jack up the price $40 of a well fitting piece at a more reasonable cost if you don't benefit?

Don't get me wrong, I would rather have the flowmaster personally, 3-3.5", and would be willing to spend the extra $$.

BTW, my kooks is a 3-3.5", asked and got at no additional cost.

Dan
Old 01-20-2005, 02:39 AM
10 Second Club

Question

You are correct, hence no benefit. Why put one on and jack up the price $40 of a well fitting piece at a more reasonable cost if you don't benefit?
Well those are two separate things, did they skip it to save money OR did they skip because they felt it offered no benefit?
I think it DOES make a difference, even if only a slight one.
Old 01-20-2005, 03:31 PM
KJ
TECH Enthusiast

Kooks' Y pipes flow very well!! In fact I was talking to Nick a wile back & he was telling me that there Y pipe flows almost as well as a true dual set up. Kooks also has the best ground clearance that I have seen. Kooks #1 all the way!!
Old 01-20-2005, 03:40 PM
Kleeborp the Moderator™

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by KJ@SDPC
Kooks' Y pipes flow very well!! In fact I was talking to Nick a wile back & he was telling me that there Y pipe flows almost as well as a true dual set up. Kooks also has the best ground clearance that I have seen. Kooks #1 all the way!!
Yeah, the Kooks y-pipe ain't all that bad flow wise - I went from their catted-y and Hooker to a custom true dual setup (catless). 333/348 before, 340/356 after. Before A/F was 13.1, after was 12.5 and dropping at the end.