Appearance & Detailing Interior & Exterior Appearance Modifications

pin-on hood question

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-2005, 11:26 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default pin-on hood question

what prevents someone to just coming up to your car and taking your pinon hood?
im not all that familiar with it, i know that the pins hold it in place, but is there anything else to it?
Old 01-20-2005, 11:52 AM
TECH Enthusiast

You can get the pins that have a lock on each top piece. Low profile, not bad looking. Barrel style round key type. I have seen them everywhere, even in the ricer isle at pep boys.
Old 01-20-2005, 12:06 PM
FormerVendor

Hi.
We generally recommend that our customers use a small screw-driver type pin - refered to as dzus fastners. These usually include backing plates that are welded onto your fenders, then the pins screw down into these plates. We generally recommend using a minimum of 10 pins along the entire parimeter of the hood - most guys use about 4 along each side and 3-4 in both the front and back of the hood. This method would ensure a snug fit to the fenders and prevent the air from pulling it off of your car. I would believe this would apply to most fiberglass manufactured pin on hoods. You can generally find these fastners at most speed shops.
Hope this Helps!
Jeanie
Old 01-20-2005, 08:57 PM
9 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

dzus fastners do nothing for security. if you need the locks, i have a pair in an unopened packet. i bought them from Summit or Jeg's, but i bought a c/f bolt on hood from VFN so i will not need these. if you're interested, shoot me a pm and we'll work something out.

later,
Dave
Old 01-21-2005, 12:06 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Most guys I see just replace the latch with pins, but still have the hood connected so you can lift it up just like normal... As for stealing a hood, haha that would be kinda funny seeing a guy running down the road with a big *** 4" cowl hood.