Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

sitting outside in the cold for a while, start it?

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-2005, 02:44 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default sitting outside in the cold for a while, start it?

ok i couldnt afford insurance for both my f250 and camaro ss so i put the camaro on storage insurance and havent done anything to the car to store it. its been really cold out, 10deg, its been sitting for like 2 weeks maybe more and i didnt change the oil and it has like a 1/4 tank of gas. i havent had time to prepare it and now its been sitting too long i think and want to do something about it. should i just run out and try to start it? im afraid its not gonna start. also what do i need to do to prepare it for sitting another month or so like this out in the cold in my driveway?
Old 01-20-2005, 02:47 PM
TECH Fanatic

/chants On

Start It! - Start It! - Start It! - Start It!

/chants Off
Old 01-20-2005, 10:45 PM
9 Second Club

Originally Posted by hourang
ok i couldnt afford insurance for both my f250 and camaro ss so i put the camaro on storage insurance and havent done anything to the car to store it. its been really cold out, 10deg, its been sitting for like 2 weeks maybe more and i didnt change the oil and it has like a 1/4 tank of gas. i havent had time to prepare it and now its been sitting too long i think and want to do something about it. should i just run out and try to start it? im afraid its not gonna start. also what do i need to do to prepare it for sitting another month or so like this out in the cold in my driveway?
Here's what the locals here in the frozen north recommend. Fill the tank with premium gas add correct amount of STABIL, it tells you how much on the container. Now start it once a month or so and let it get up to full temp.
Old 01-20-2005, 11:39 PM
TECH Apprentice

STABIL is key.....nothing kills like bad gas.....i start mine once a week
Old 01-21-2005, 08:52 AM
TECH Fanatic

so i should go to the gas station a couple times with a 5 gallon jug to fill it up then. thanks for the stabil tip, i will definately run up to the store and get some, they have it at autozone right?
Old 01-21-2005, 09:24 AM
9 Second Club

Originally Posted by hourang
so i should go to the gas station a couple times with a 5 gallon jug to fill it up then. thanks for the stabil tip, i will definately run up to the store and get some, they have it at autozone right?
Yes they say to fill it up because it will get moisture in the tank if it is not full. I don't understand how that could happen but I go ahead and fill it anyway... STABIL should be sold at just about any parts store. It has a little gauge on the side of the container that measures ounces. Just put in the appropriate amount. Then the engine needs to be ran until stabil reaches the inside of your fuel injectors etc.
Old 01-21-2005, 09:45 AM
12 Second Club

YEa but its only been 2 weeks ur gonna be fine ur battery might be low tho. Gas doesn't go bad in 2 weeks. U need to move it a bit cause i left mine parked for about 2 months and my tranny seals dried up so i had to have them replace it was leaking all over the place.
Old 01-21-2005, 10:48 AM
BJM
TECH Enthusiast

10 F is NOT cold, your car will start fine if the battery is charged. Its -14F right now here. The filling up the tank thing is so that existing moisture in the tank and dissolved water in the gas (which is not negligible) won't crystallize and block something up when the car is started. This is mostly a holdover from carburetor days with fuel being sucked all the way to the front of the car. A modern high pressure pusher pump like new cars have won't care. People used to buy gasline antifreeze, which these days is a waste of time. Use a fuel stabilizer though that will keep things from gumming up.

Perspective is everything, I would wait to start my own stored car on a nice warm winter day, like +10F.
Old 01-21-2005, 12:42 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by BJM
10 F is NOT cold, your car will start fine if the battery is charged. Its -14F right now here. The filling up the tank thing is so that existing moisture in the tank and dissolved water in the gas (which is not negligible) won't crystallize and block something up when the car is started. This is mostly a holdover from carburetor days with fuel being sucked all the way to the front of the car. A modern high pressure pusher pump like new cars have won't care. People used to buy gasline antifreeze, which these days is a waste of time. Use a fuel stabilizer though that will keep things from gumming up.

Perspective is everything, I would wait to start my own stored car on a nice warm winter day, like +10F.
good info thanks. yeah its 9 deg today but will be in the 15s this weekend. i think ill wait til next week its supposed to be in the 30s.
Old 01-21-2005, 04:29 PM
TECH Junkie

damn im glad its in the 50s or 60s here right now.
Old 01-21-2005, 05:09 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Start it, let it come up to full temp, move it to lube axles and tranny, then cover it up again. Stabil is a good idea also.