Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

SLP Says 41HP and 58TQ. What Can someone really expect? These variables + or -?

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-2005, 02:50 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation SLP Says 41HP and 58TQ. What Can someone really expect? These variables + or -?

SLP Says 41HP and 58TQ. What Can someone really expect? These variables + or -?

Normally I wouldn't buy SLP anything because I always felt their prices and HP gains were exagerated.

Well for 600 bucks I'm buying a used SLP 1-3/4" LT Package.
Which I honestly feel is a great deal.
-Stainless Steel Headers
-Y pipe
-Cats

This kit usually retails for about 849
and it only has about 1500 miles on it.

My questions and curiosities are this.
If I use the LT's, Cats, Ypipe, and purchase a Cat Back: What HP Gains Could I expect?
I currently have an X Pipe with 3" cats and 3" Dynomax bullet mufflers.
Should I have the LT's fabricated right up to the X Pipe Instead? Do you think there would be better gains?

More / Less? TQ vs. HP?

I guess right now it's a toss up should I
Do the LT's, Catted Y Pipe, and Purchase a Corsa Catback?
Do the LT's and keep the Catted XPipe?

Which Would give better numbers?
I know the Corsa will have a more refined and professional sound.
I pretty sure the X Pipe will be MUCH louder.
Either way.. I'm curious as to your opinions.

I'm not really expecting 41/58 even with the 383 bottom end but I'm very curious as to what my numbers will be.

Last edited by D3IMOS; 01-21-2005 at 02:59 PM.
Old 01-21-2005, 02:59 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ok well a recent test just showed that slp's dynoed signifacantly less than kooks...not to mention you will loose 1-2" of ground clearence...you would be on crack to go to y-pipe/borla over your true duals...i really recommend not getthing these
Old 01-21-2005, 03:02 PM
TECH Fanatic

well i picked up 18hp/23ft lbs at the wheels with the headers thru the high flow cats and a flowmaster cat-back. when i went to the lanes x-pipe and took the cats off, i picked up another 15/13. so you will see much better gains thru the x pipe. but i had to take my x pipe off when i did my cam, it was just too dam loud. so you might wanna factor that in, if you plan on doin a cam or heads down the road
Old 01-21-2005, 03:07 PM
TECH Enthusiast

MY Stock #'s: 308hp/315tq. After installing the SLP flow-pac, SLP LT's, SLP Y-pipe w/hi-flow cats, Hooker catback and LS1 Edit tuning: 350hp 360tq. I was pleased with that.
Old 01-21-2005, 03:11 PM
TECH Apprentice

Well the cam LS6 GenIII Hotcam I have in there is a pretty baby cam for now. When I switch to FI though I"ll be going with AFR 225 cc heads with 76 cc chambers and probably the Lingenfelter GT2-3 cam.
Old 01-21-2005, 03:30 PM
TECH Apprentice

Exclamation

Originally Posted by DD966
MY Stock #'s: 308hp/315tq. After installing the SLP flow-pac, SLP LT's, SLP Y-pipe w/hi-flow cats, Hooker catback and LS1 Edit tuning: 350hp 360tq. I was pleased with that.
I would be pleased with your results as well.
I'm just curious as to how much a difference my 383 will come into play for numbers as well now.
I'll probably end up keeping the X pipe with the LT's for now just for HP reasons..
Old 01-21-2005, 03:31 PM
TECH Senior Member

why not go with some stepped headers since you have a 383?
Old 01-21-2005, 03:46 PM
Launching!

D3IMOS, are you really running a 383 with stock 98 manifolds? I have no doubt that you will gain a good 40rwhp with SLP headers (any long-tubes in fact). By your numbers (400/440), I'd say that your torque curve must peak way too early, and then drop rapidly. Your engine seems to sign off before reaching it's full potential.

I would not go with SLP's since your car is lowered. They do hang low. I know, I have them (but i'm stock height). Like 777 said, go with stepped 1 3/4 to 1 7/8 and keep the X and true duals.
Old 01-21-2005, 05:27 PM
TECH Junkie

As others have mentioned...I wouldn't recommend the SLP headers...if for no other reason, the ground clearance is terrible. I had SLPs and switched to Kooks. Even though $600 is a good deal for a barely used package, I think your money would be better spent on different headers like the stepped Kooks mentioned above...just my .02
Old 01-21-2005, 07:19 PM
TECH Apprentice

Cool

Originally Posted by Blue Hawk
D3IMOS, are you really running a 383 with stock 98 manifolds? I have no doubt that you will gain a good 40rwhp with SLP headers (any long-tubes in fact). By your numbers (400/440), I'd say that your torque curve must peak way too early, and then drop rapidly. Your engine seems to sign off before reaching it's full potential.

I would not go with SLP's since your car is lowered. They do hang low. I know, I have them (but i'm stock height). Like 777 said, go with stepped 1 3/4 to 1 7/8 and keep the X and true duals.
Yes I'm running stock 98 manifolds. My X pipe has a custom stepped flange that bolts right to the manifolds.

The LT's are not perm. I figured since they're Stainless Steel I could run em for a year or so then take em off and sell em again for like 500 bucks.
**I'm getting the complete package for 600. Even though I won't be using the Y pipe and Cats from the package I'm still gonna get them.**
I figured resellin them for 500 would be a good deal for a year used LT's and a Catted Y pipe that only has 1500 miles on them.

Even though right now my compression is stock because of the 6.2" H beam rods and JE Flat Top pistons. I do eventually plan on going Turbo. In the mean time save up money for the H/C and then Turbo.. Over the next year. I wanna do it right So I figured these headers would give me good power meanwhile I saved up money for the best H/C/T.
Old 01-21-2005, 07:46 PM
TECH Regular

If it's really that temporary just buy some cheap pace setters and not worry about ground clearance. Just my opinion.
Old 01-21-2005, 08:36 PM
Launching!

When buying long tubes what you are paying for is fitment, quality, fit and finish. All LT's dyno within the same net gain. Swap from one brand to another for the sole purpose of gains and you'll be disappointed. 1 3/4 sized primaries are more then adequate for stock cubes. If you have a stroker look into some 1 7/8 primaried headers. If you have a high power stock cubed setup you might want to look into a 1 ¾ stepped to 1 7/8.

straight from jrp. look him up on here and read his exhaust guide. imo its a good deal for a whole package. but they do hang low. my car is not lowered and i have to be careful going over speed bumps.
Old 01-21-2005, 09:04 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by WS6WRX
If it's really that temporary just buy some cheap pace setters and not worry about ground clearance. Just my opinion.
Yeah but with this kit. I pay 600 bucks for Stainless Steel LT's. a Y pipe and Cats. All with only 1500 bucks on the whole kit. The cats are still good.

I'll only be using the LT's. So in a year when I switch to turbo I can still pull em off and get a good Resell value on the "whole" kit.

Who wouldn't pay 500 bucks on Stainless Steel LT's Y pipe and 3" Cats.

Seems like a feasible and wise investment to me.
Old 01-21-2005, 09:06 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by 44mag
When buying long tubes what you are paying for is fitment, quality, fit and finish. All LT's dyno within the same net gain. Swap from one brand to another for the sole purpose of gains and you'll be disappointed. 1 3/4 sized primaries are more then adequate for stock cubes. If you have a stroker look into some 1 7/8 primaried headers. If you have a high power stock cubed setup you might want to look into a 1 ¾ stepped to 1 7/8.

straight from jrp. look him up on here and read his exhaust guide. imo its a good deal for a whole package. but they do hang low. my car is not lowered and i have to be careful going over speed bumps.
By the time I go with AFR 225cc heads with 76 cc chambers and a ligenfelter gt-3 cam it won't matter because I'll be losing the LT's to switch to turbo.
Old 01-21-2005, 09:27 PM
TECH Addict

I dyno'd before and after my SLP LT install. I picked up 25hp and 27 ft-lbs at the rear wheels on my 98.
Old 01-21-2005, 09:44 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by felton316
I dyno'd before and after my SLP LT install. I picked up 25hp and 27 ft-lbs at the rear wheels on my 98.
Good gain! What are you other mods?
Old 01-21-2005, 09:48 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by D3IMOS
I'll only be using the LT's. So in a year when I switch to turbo I can still pull em off and get a good Resell value on the "whole" kit.
The way I see it get some pacesetters, which are like $275 coated I think?, and then they would be easy to sell in a year cause you could sell them cheap, and people like cheap stuff. SLP LTs would be harder to sell, one because slp lts get badmouthed a lot in some cases with good reason, but also they are just more expensive. But remember that no matter what you do, you will probably lose money on the deal. Also, try and be open to the other suggestions being made. Hope you find something that works and you will be happy with.
Old 01-21-2005, 10:02 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by 01TAFlyer
The way I see it get some pacesetters, which are like $275 coated I think?, and then they would be easy to sell in a year cause you could sell them cheap, and people like cheap stuff. SLP LTs would be harder to sell, one because slp lts get badmouthed a lot in some cases with good reason, but also they are just more expensive. But remember that no matter what you do, you will probably lose money on the deal. Also, try and be open to the other suggestions being made. Hope you find something that works and you will be happy with.
Well first off thanks for bein cool dude. I'm pretty set on goin with this deal now though. I'm pretty sure I'll be happy with them and I told the guy I would buy them and he's been very patient waiting on me and kept in constant contact with me. It would be foul of me to back out now.

I'm pretty sure I'm gonna lose some money on the deal but I'm pretty confident that they will sell well in a year. I guess it all adds up to how much HP I gain and how much it costs me for the year.
HPcost = 600-resale
Old 01-21-2005, 10:05 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by felton316
I'm very interested in your other mods as well.
I'd be very happy with numbers like that. Yet in all Seriousness I'm gonna hope for more now though. Especially since I have the 383 shortblock.
I'd love to end up with 430/475. That would be awesome.
Old 01-22-2005, 12:39 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by 777
ok well a recent test just showed that slp's dynoed signifacantly less than kooks...not to mention you will loose 1-2" of ground clearence...you would be on crack to go to y-pipe/borla over your true duals...i really recommend not getthing these
i second that