Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

solid roller cam for 408

Old 01-22-2005, 09:26 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default solid roller cam for 408

i was thinking about making my 408 a solid roller, what all do i have to change and what is the best cam for it also?? it will rarely be daily driven.. prob need a 113 lsa or so for when the wife has to drive it when i have the young'n but that will be very very rarely.. thanks...
Old 01-22-2005, 09:39 PM
FormerVendor

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Thumbs up

You need solid roller specific springs and cam and also solid roller lifters as well. I have been doing solid roller LS1s forever. I did one of the first ones that ever ran and the first to run 9s but it's come a long way since then. There's a lot of new parts out there on the horizon. I use the Morel solid roller lifters for smaller lobes and other Lifters (Special Isky, Crower and Jesel) when the lobes are really crazy and over a certain lobe lift. I've already been through all the problems 5 years ago and fixed it back then.
Old 01-22-2005, 10:25 PM
TECH Fanatic

thanks for the info, and what are the advantages of having a solid roller and how much power et improovement??

trying to make sure if i want a solid roller or not.. just want to know the pros and cons and how good or bad they may be... thanks
Old 01-22-2005, 10:50 PM
TECH Fanatic

The ability to have a much higher revving motor is one big advantage. Also...your torque will remain similar....but your peak and and overall HP level should go up.
Old 01-22-2005, 11:15 PM
9 Second Club

Usually the gain is around 50rwhp doing the swap. That varies but gets pretty close.

I think it around 2000$ to do the swap
New cam
new lifters
new rocker arms (expensive adjustable ones)
valve cover spacers for the bigger rockers
new push rods
new springs and they have to be done right and are usually a triple spring which usually calls for some head work to be done.
Old 01-22-2005, 11:30 PM
TECH Junkie

Solid Roller Gooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo ood.
Old 01-23-2005, 08:14 PM
FormerVendor

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by 98sspullin'em
thanks for the info, and what are the advantages of having a solid roller and how much power et improovement??

trying to make sure if i want a solid roller or not.. just want to know the pros and cons and how good or bad they may be... thanks
It depends on how big you want to go and the compression but you can run bigger cams and spin them higher with the solid roller stuff since you can run more spring pressure to control things basically. It's not magic and the more radical you go the more you will need to keep an eye on stuff. We have lobes that are very mild and lobes that are very wild. It all depends on the duty cycle and goals and maintenance expected. Nothings free in this world.

Search this Thread