New LS1 Owners - Newbie Tech Basic Technical Questions & Advice
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

car running like crap after header install-need help

Old 01-24-2005, 01:00 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default car running like crap after header install-need help

me and a buddy of mine installed some pacesetters on my car saturday, they are the off road version. the only problem is my ORY didnt come in in time so i had to drive it home open headers. it was loud and annoying, but my car ran like crap also. it felt like it was missing or something. so i took it today to get the codes read, i thought maybe one of the spark plugs i bought were bad or something, and these codes popped up:

P0140
P0160
P1134

the first two are because i have no 02 sensors, im still unsure of the last one. i looked it up and it says: "H02S transition time ration sensor 1"

my question is, does anyone know what that means? is the car running like crap because its open headers or have i uncovered another problem?

any help would be appreciated,
thanks,
anthony
Old 01-24-2005, 01:20 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

open headers never gave the problem of which your describing to me so you must have stummbled upon something else. Unless its one of those things that "some cars are okay but others act wierd" sort of things but I dont believe so. Good luck with the problem.

-JOSH
Old 01-24-2005, 06:15 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Do you have any after market 02 simms in there?
Old 01-24-2005, 07:25 PM
10 Second Club

More than likley the car is running like crap purley because your running open headers. First off get O2 simms for the rear or have them deleted, secondly your front O2s are sucking fresh air on decel making the car think it's super lean. To run open headers the right way you need about 18"s of pipe behind the O2 sensor.
Old 01-24-2005, 07:30 PM
10 Second Club

Here's the exact description of the purpose of the P1134 "TIME RATIO BANK 1, SENSOR Monitors the ratio between rich to lean and lean to rich transition times, The ratio of rich to lean and lean to rich oxygen sensor transitions."
Old 01-24-2005, 07:54 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by GM Muscle
Here's the exact description of the purpose of the P1134 "TIME RATIO BANK 1, SENSOR Monitors the ratio between rich to lean and lean to rich transition times, The ratio of rich to lean and lean to rich oxygen sensor transitions."
the only reason i drove it like this was to get it home, and then to find out what was wrong with it. i PMed the always wise and helpful JRP and he told me it was more than likely the open headers. im still waiting on the Y pipe to get here. when i go dyno soon(i think) im going to get the codes deleted for the back 02s.

whats funny is 5 codes came up, and 4 of them were the first 2(2 times each).

JRP figured the PCM was going squirly because of the open headers rich to lean mess.

thanks for the input. for those that are curious i will post up result after i get the ORY in.
Old 01-24-2005, 07:56 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

what you may be experiencing is that you are feeling/hearing the individual cylinder exhaust pulses up under the floor of the car and it seems like a miss

now it may in fact be running like crap with no O2 sensors in it but put it to the floor and hold it while you run through a few gears and it should run steady then, but its gonna be so loud and annoying that you wont be able to feel a whole lotta grattification from the headers
Old 01-24-2005, 08:15 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Full-Force
what you may be experiencing is that you are feeling/hearing the individual cylinder exhaust pulses up under the floor of the car and it seems like a miss

now it may in fact be running like crap with no O2 sensors in it but put it to the floor and hold it while you run through a few gears and it should run steady then, but its gonna be so loud and annoying that you wont be able to feel a whole lotta grattification from the headers
i know what you are saying, but when i was going up to highway speeds i could literally feel it missing. and when i would let off i could hear a definite sputter. at lower rpms very noticeable, higher rpms, not so much. the front 02s are there, the back ones dont need to be. i know quite a few people running around with their SES light on because they have no cats/O2s and their cars run great.

of course, the more input i get without hearing that its a major problem, the better, so keep em coming!
Old 01-24-2005, 08:54 PM
TECH Veteran

Finish your exhaust setup, reset codes,drive the car and see how the performance has changed then scan the codes if the MIL comes back on.
Old 01-24-2005, 08:59 PM
jrp
SN95 Director

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by ss rally red
Finish your exhaust setup, reset codes,drive the car and see how the performance has changed then scan the codes if the MIL comes back on.
thats what i told him.
Old 01-24-2005, 08:59 PM
12 Second Club

again sorry on the ory delay, i threw codes when i first did my headders, i forgot what the code numbers where but the codes where insufficent switching (or heating i dont remember) due to no rear o2s, but your car is probably runing bad due to lack of exhuast back pressure, i ran mine with open headders just to hear it and it ran like ***, once you get the ory get the pcm tuned, itll ran great
Old 01-24-2005, 09:36 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by jrp
thats what i told him.

and it was much appreciated

Originally Posted by Silver6sp
again sorry on the ory delay, i threw codes when i first did my headders, i forgot what the code numbers where but the codes where insufficent switching (or heating i dont remember) due to no rear o2s, but your car is probably runing bad due to lack of exhuast back pressure, i ran mine with open headders just to hear it and it ran like ***, once you get the ory get the pcm tuned, itll ran great

thats cool man, im not mad at you. i was just thinking of this being like running open headers on my old school small block i had in my 72. was looking forward to turning heads and annoying everyone with the noise for a few days. didnt anticipate my car running like crap and scaring the crap out of me!
Old 01-27-2005, 01:38 PM
TECH Fanatic

update, i got the ORY on this morning, and all is well. i reset the PCM and the car runs great. man i can feel the difference. and for anyone who is curious, the TSP rumbler sounds great with headers!

and a little advice, dont ever try to run an LS1 open headers!
Old 01-27-2005, 01:54 PM
jrp
SN95 Director

good to hear
Old 01-27-2005, 02:30 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by jrp
good to hear
i think getting the ypipe on and lined up properly was more difficult than the header install itself. it gave us a little trouble. of course, we were on the ground this time, we couldnt use the lift again.
Old 01-27-2005, 02:47 PM
jrp
SN95 Director

what ORY, the pace one?
Old 01-27-2005, 05:30 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by luvmeZ28

and a little advice, dont ever try to run an LS1 open headers!

yea i have done a few pace setter ypipes, THEY SUCK to install, but i never heard any banging from that setup
Old 01-28-2005, 12:19 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by jrp
what ORY, the pace one?
yep, good ole pacesetter

Originally Posted by Silver6sp

yea i have done a few pace setter ypipes, THEY SUCK to install, but i never heard any banging from that setup
now that its up there it fits great, and no banging. it was just a pain to get everything lined up right.
Old 01-28-2005, 01:15 PM
TECH Resident

awesome..i need to get something like this setup soon..but ive heard my catback sounds like ***..with...pacessetters and y-pipe..or headers in general.

i got slp loudmouth
Old 01-29-2005, 01:55 AM
12 Second Club

Received 46 Likes on 43 Posts

If you leave the cats on, the loudmouth will be ok. It's when you run off road pipes that the loudmouth will sound like ***.

Search this Thread