Gears & Axles Driveshafts | Rearends | Differentials | Gears | 12 Bolt | 9 Inch | Dana

Those with Auburn diffs.

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-2005, 07:42 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Those with Auburn diffs.

My 01 Hawk has the optional Auburn differential. I had it replaced about a month ago under warranty because it was making grinding, rubbing, chattering and otherwise making horrible sounds during any kind of low speed tight turning manuevers. (such as in a parking lot) Anyway, I'm starting to faintly hear the same sounds again. Is this normal with the Auburns? I do not beat on the car so it shouldn't be caused by abuse. Did the mechanic screw up the installation? Any guesses or suggestions are appreciated. Thanks.
Old 01-25-2005, 10:04 AM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Mine has 74,000 miles on it, and it seems fine.
Old 01-28-2005, 09:58 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My 01 Hawk 6spd has the usual free-play 'clunk' at low speeds or during sloppy shifts which is really gear lash, not posi. I had the lube changed at 3000 miles per SLP instructions (non-synthetic gear oil, 1/2 the normal GM lube additive, no gasket (just 'gorilla snot'). It has worked well otherwise since then, but I don't beat it up much and only have 20,000 miles. The Auburn in my IROC 9-bolt road racer is very noisy when extremely hot, but works relatively well at the track. No failures but it wears the cones down and needs a re-shim every few hours of racing. I don't use the posi-lube additive in it so it is quite brutal and noisy when it hooks up.