New LS1 Owners - Newbie Tech Basic Technical Questions & Advice
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Short stick and trans mount...

Old 01-25-2005, 08:59 AM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Short stick and trans mount...

I figured I'd post 2 things in one thread. First is there any way to quiet down a short stick. I installed the UMI shortstick a little while ago and it is soooooo noisy! It feels great but I gotta quiet this thing down, any ideas?

Second if a trans mount has a small slit in it can it cause the usual symptoms of a broken mount. I slightly fit my pinky in the left side of the mount where the tear is, should I get a new one or wait till this one breaks completely?
Old 01-25-2005, 11:00 AM
TECH Regular

Any ideas paleez!
Old 01-25-2005, 11:11 AM
Launching!

Lightbulb

Originally Posted by mc01ta
I figured I'd post 2 things in one thread. First is there any way to quiet down a short stick. I installed the UMI shortstick a little while ago and it is soooooo noisy! It feels great but I gotta quiet this thing down, any ideas?
Usually we get noises like this when two metal parts are touching. You could make a crude "gasket" out of felt or from an old flat computer mouse pad. Place it between the short stick and the shifter assembly where the two make contact. It would not have to look pretty because it will be covered by the shifter boot.

I would guess the noise might be due to one or both of the bolts loosening up. Take off the shift ****, pop off the boot, and see if the two bolts are still tight. Reminder: a 6mm hex key is needed for the bolts. If they are loose then you might want to remove the bolts, put on a few drops of LockTite, and then reinstall and retighten them.

I installed the UMI short stick and noticed some noise. So I ignored it. Some time after that I began to notice my shift stick felt more and more "sloppy." I looked under the boot and saw the two bolts were not tight - one of them was so loose that I could tighten it with my fingers! That evening I drove home without any problems, then I used LockTite on the short stick bolt threads. The problem has not returned.
Old 01-31-2005, 10:49 AM
Launching!

Question

Did my idea and suggestions help?
Old 02-01-2005, 10:36 AM
TECH Regular

Hey there david-

thanks for the tip, I tried two pieces of a mouse pad cut down and it seemed to help a bit! The noise isn't completely gone but it helped a lot. Thanks again for the tip.

Search this Thread