Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

new member stuck WS6

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-2005, 10:59 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry new member stuck WS6

hello posters well I know I posted this in vechicle specific but I really need some help I just got a WS6 and today it won't start I think it migt be VATS related but don't really know where else to look it does nothing when you turn the key like no power to ignition headlights don't dim either i tried to jump start it showed 13V on the guage no joy no noise nothing any advise is appreciated
Old 01-26-2005, 11:12 PM
TECH Veteran

M6 or A4? If auto try putting it in newtral, if M6 make sure thew clutch is on the floor, a little more info would help.
Old 01-26-2005, 11:13 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by ss rally red
M6 or A4? If auto try putting it in newtral, if M6 make sure thew clutch is on the floor, a little more info would help.
sorry its just frustrating clutch to the floor M6
Old 01-26-2005, 11:44 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Might be the solenoid on the starter. Or the whole starter itself. Or maybe a relay gone bad on the starter switch. But it's definetly something with the starter ciruitry if your showing 13 volts and everything else works.
Old 01-26-2005, 11:53 PM
10 Second Club

So, when you had the jump cables on, still no lights, nothing?
Old 01-26-2005, 11:54 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by Zellslife
sorry its just frustrating clutch to the floor M6

Nice ! Ill bet your glad it wasnt something serious

(PS I did the same thing at first )
Old 01-26-2005, 11:58 PM
Teching In

Angry

Originally Posted by tcarswell
Nice ! Ill bet your glad it wasnt something serious

(PS I did the same thing at first )
no clutch was to the floor car still does not start wish it was easier to fix
Old 01-27-2005, 12:05 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Please use a little more punctuation. Its hard to understand what you mean.

So you've tried the clutch to the floor and it doesn't turn over. The headlights don't open or they won't dim? Does the radio and power windows and locks work? Do you have any kind of aftermarket or stock alarm?
Old 01-27-2005, 12:14 AM
Teching In

So you've tried the clutch to the floor and it doesn't turn over. The headlights don't open or they won't dim? Does the radio and power windows and locks work? Do you have any kind of aftermarket or stock alarm?[/QUOTE]

Headlights will open and I have tried to start the car with the clutch to the floor. I don't think it is related to the battery because I tried to jump start it and it showed 13v on the guage . All the lights work and none of them dim when you try to crank it other than the interior light auto dims like normal and the dash lights go out while attempting to crank like usual security light illuminates and then goes out car just doesn't get juice to starter. everything is original. It seems like other VATS isues I've seen in other cars except it does not reset after 3 minutes for that matter not even a few hours .
Old 01-27-2005, 12:26 AM
Launching!

no clutch was to the floor car still does not start wish it was easier to fix
My bad bro. Thought you had her fixed, Best of luck
Old 01-27-2005, 12:28 AM
10 Second Club

Do you read 13 volts with no jumper cables?
Old 01-27-2005, 12:36 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by waterbug1999
Do you read 13 volts with no jumper cables?
yeah but after a few tries it goes to the tip of the orange zone but when we tried to jump it no drain was apparent on the guage
Old 01-27-2005, 04:24 AM
10 Second Club

yeah but after a few tries it goes to the tip of the orange zone but when we tried to jump it no drain was apparent on the guage
Seems odd that if the car is not even cranking over, how your volt guage hits red all ready due to a couple of key turns but no cranking. Usually its happens after cranking for 15-30 minutes, then your battery will show low. Maybe a short somewhere?? HHMMM. .
Old 01-27-2005, 07:23 AM
TECH Junkie

well, if it was security related the light would tell you that. why not try push starting it? i think its the starter
Old 01-27-2005, 05:45 PM
Teching In

Try replacing the battery,i had a 97 that would act the same way but the battery didnt have enough to crank even with a jump.
If thats not it then the starter may need to be lookd at,or the wiring to the starter.
Old 01-28-2005, 12:18 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by 99FormulaM6
twhy not try push starting it? i think its the starter
Agreed, find a nice hill and have the key turned on and just pop the clutch once you are going bout 5 mph or so.
Old 01-28-2005, 01:22 PM
TECH Senior Member

Did the previous owner install an aftermarket alarm, or a kill switch in the car? It sounds like the starter signal from the Body Control Module is being interrupted before it can get to the starter relay. The way to know for sure is to open the hood, and have someone stand at the driver's side fender near the electrical center and listen for the relay to click as you turn the key to "START." If the relay clicks, the problem is a bad relay, or a bad starter. If it doesn't click, the problem is inside the car somewhere.

If you got a click, you can try this to verifiy if its the starter or the relay:
1. MAKE SURE THE CAR CANNOT MOVE !! Set parking brake, and block the wheels.
2. MAKE SURE THE TRANSMISSION IS IN NEUTRAL !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
3. Open the hood, and open the covers for the underhood electrical center (driver's side).
4. Locate the starter relay, and remove it from the socket (simply pull it out).
5. Go back and MAKE SURE THE TRANSMISSION IS IN NEUTRAL !!!!!!
6. Take a short piece of wire, at least 16 gauge (or it'll fry the wire) and strip both ends.
7. Look at the relay, and locate the terminals marked 30 and 87.
8. Using the piece of wire, jumper the matching terminals in the car where the relay plugged in. If your starter is good, this will crank the motor over. If you have the key in the ignition and turned "ON" the car should start and run.

If after these tests the starter does not spin, you have a bad starter or bad wire/cable leading to the starter.

If the car cranked, you have a bad clutch interrupt switch, an aftermarket alarm with a starter kill, or a hidden start kill switch (or bad relay as above).
Old 01-28-2005, 01:58 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Make sure your dash fuse is not blown. Happened to me after I installed an electric cutout and took me a couple of hours to figure it out.
Old 01-28-2005, 02:08 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by sgtjed
Try replacing the battery,i had a 97 that would act the same way but the battery didnt have enough to crank even with a jump.
If thats not it then the starter may need to be lookd at,or the wiring to the starter.
That's what I was thinking. It takes amperage to start the car not just volts. I would take the battery out and have it charged and load tested. This may be why it is going to red when you turn the key a few times. If that isn't it I would then try jumping the relay.
Old 02-02-2005, 12:41 AM
Teching In

Thanks for all the replys I had it put on a scanner today and it looks like I'll be getting a new ignition cylinder and some new keys lol thanks again hope this will fix it