Gears & Axles Driveshafts | Rearends | Differentials | Gears | 12 Bolt | 9 Inch | Dana

pinon gear shattered

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-2005, 06:00 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default pinon gear shattered

Well I took of the rear end cover last night, in my apartment parking lot, 13 degrees and a wind chill in the singles. Trust me it wasnt the best time I have ever had under a car. Anyway, earlier yesterdat my rear end started making bad grinding noises and I knew something was phucked. I couldnt be sure until I took a look inside. After I got in there I couldn't see any problems on the ring so I got to an angle I could see behind the diff and WOW. There are 3-5 teeth missing. I couldnt tell how many because I was up on a jack with no stands so rotating the axle was out of the question. I never found any chunks in the oil, just find flakes. I figure I was lucky it didnt chunk off because then I would have probably needed a new diff.

So I got an excuse to get my 4:10's, only problem is the car is out of commision for a week or so till the get here and then I install them. Just thought I would let yall know whats up. I will post up some pics when I get it all out, they are pretty impressive IMO.

Fry
Old 01-29-2005, 12:18 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Pics !
Old 01-29-2005, 01:55 PM
11 Second Club

Yes we want to see DESTRUCTION
Old 01-29-2005, 02:47 PM
TECH Fanatic

I'll have the pics sometime next week after I get my 4:10s from Thunder.