Tools & Fabrication Hand | Power | Hydraulic | Pneumatic | Welding | Painting

Need a set of stubby wrenches

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-2005, 06:10 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need a set of stubby wrenches

I can't decide what to get. I'm not sure how often I will use them (on aircraft), so I'm not really sure how much I want to spend, yet.

I love my Snap On combination wrenches (a couple sets actually), so I will look at their shorty's, but what's the best value? I was going to buy the $49 gearwrench set that Sears sells, but as usual, Sears sucks and not a single one within 60 miles of me has them in stock. (Need SAE not metric)

Would it be worth the extra to go ahead and buy the mac/snap on/matco version? I need the absolute thinnest ones I can get. Probably would like them to be ratcheting too.

What do YOU have and how do you like them?
Thanks.
Old 01-27-2005, 07:40 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have set of Snap on stubby wrenches and to be honest I only use them sometimes because I feel bad for them.. they can be a life saver if needed but I get 10 times the usage out of my mid length set..there about an inch or so longer and go from 5/16 to 1 inch (work great on AN lines and fittings) Gear Wrenches are ok but the ones I have had leave little to be desired when it comes to the open end strength..
Old 01-28-2005, 12:16 PM
TECH Regular

I have SK metic and standard sets. Good wrenches. They are about $50 a set I think. I think a Snap-on or Matco sets run over $100 a set. I don't think I would get the gear wrenches, sometimes you just need a regular wrench.
Old 01-28-2005, 01:05 PM
10 Second Club

I have the SK set too. Both metric and standard. They are really nice and the finish on them is great. I though they where around $50 too, they also come with little plastic racks.
Old 01-29-2005, 03:04 PM
Staging Lane

Thanks for the suggestions. I'll look up the SK stubby's when I get ready to order.
Old 01-29-2005, 04:26 PM
TECH Veteran

Some SK stuff is now sold by your favorate retailer Sears via catalog! I can't wait until Kmart starts selling good tools since the Sears stores are hard to reach for me.
Old 01-29-2005, 05:52 PM
TECH Junkie

I have Snap-on stubbies...they are very nice...now, have I used them enough to justify what I paid for them?...probably not.
Old 01-29-2005, 06:28 PM
PT's Slowest Truck

I have a couple of Snap-On stubbies, just the ones I use at work. They're real nice, but if/when I go to get a set I'll probably go with SK's or something cheaper. I really can't justify the Snap-On price tag for how often I use them.
Old 01-29-2005, 08:17 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I took one of my fine imported Made-In-India open-ends
and ran the cutoff wheel across the middle, so I have
stubby 1/2" and 9/16" stubbies. I have a drawer full of
English wrenches but these I used just today.
Old 01-30-2005, 05:08 AM
On The Tree

Hey transammanv8, if it is gearwrench you want, try Lowe's Home Improvement. They carry them and are $49 just like sears, that is where I got my set and I love them. If you ever put on headers you will love them too. Very rarely do they get returned because they fail, I know because I work there, and we sell alot of them. Also if you are interested go to the tool desk and look at the special order tool books, we can special order SK tool sets also. Just a thought.

Quick Reply: Need a set of stubby wrenches