Gears & Axles Driveshafts | Rearends | Differentials | Gears | 12 Bolt | 9 Inch | Dana

Rear End Housing widths?

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-2005, 08:58 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Rear End Housing widths?

I have in my possession two Moser 9" housings. One is new-in-box and measures 59.25" from end to end. The other I bought off a member here who had it on his 98 Z, and it measures 58.75" from end to end.

My curiosity is that 4th gen rear ends are supposed to be approximately 2" wider than 3rd gen rears. Most 3rd Gens got GM 10-bolts, however the latter 3rd gen Formulas came with the WS6 package standard, which included a Borg-Warner 9 -Bolt rear end; my 9-bolt measures 58.5" from end to end.

How wide is a 4th gen 10 bolt? Anyone got a lift and a tape measure?
Old 01-27-2005, 11:35 PM
SRP
11 Second Club

why you want to swap out the 9-bolt?? its amongst the strongest of factory GM rear ends. my partner at work has had his GTA into the 9's with a big block on the stock rear end, and has converted it back to a lt1 pulling 1.5 60's and he complains about 1.5's even with tires spinning. BTW, i'll measure a 4th gen axle at work tomorow as i'm looking to find a 9" housing and go from there on my car.
Old 01-29-2005, 02:59 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Well, I was told by a few people that the 9-bolt wasn't that much stronger than the 10-bolt. Besides, I wanted the security of the 9-inch, and being able to use 4th gen wheels without spacers is a bonus.

If you are looking for a 9" rear, I am selling one of mine. Let me know if you are interested and I can give you the specs, etc.

I will likely sell the B-W 9-bolt as well.

By the way, did you get any measurements on that stock 10-bolt???
Old 01-29-2005, 10:02 AM
SRP
11 Second Club

An ls1 10bolt measures 59 7/16" from backing plate to backing plate. I'm telling ya man, once you open up the cover on that 9bolt, you'll see why they're so strong, there's reinforcing webbing all over the inside of the pumpkin, the gears are small but thick, thick axles and the rear overall weighs alot. I ain't lying to ya when i say that this GTA i'm talking about has been in the 9second range off a transbraked bigblock, he's used to pulling 1.4-1.3 60's and was disappointed with a 1.5 do to lack of traction on the spray. this past summer he just put 3.91 gears in it i believe. when he comes to the shop i'll ask him where he got the gears since there seems to be a few guys on here looking where to get them. and your buddy telling ya that the 9 bolt is only as strong as a 10bolt is on crack, i break mine pulling no better than 1.8 60's on a soft launch! I'd like to see a 10bolt last through 1.5's or better.

as far as the 9"s what ya got??

Quick Reply: Rear End Housing widths?