Gears & Axles Driveshafts | Rearends | Differentials | Gears | 12 Bolt | 9 Inch | Dana

what are gears

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-2005, 11:49 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default what are gears

Do gears make you launch harder, make your gears longer or what.
Old 01-29-2005, 12:33 AM
TECH Apprentice

Putting a new gear in your car will make you have more power down low, however it will make your top speed a little less...

If you have an Automatic LS1 camaro with stock 3.23 gears, you could run a 8.7 in the 1/8th mile. However if you put a 4.10 gear in the car, you will have a much better 0-60 time (much better) and your gears will shift faster, causing your top speed (normally around 160) to be around 145)...

I put 3.73s in my A4 99 Z28. I would not go higher than a 3.73 for a daily driver automatic car, but for a 6 speed you will be fine.. Also, do some research on rear end breakages, the higher you go in gear ratio, the easier it is to break. If you are just daily driving in an Automatic (A4) you probably wont have a problem, but if you drag race frequently you may want to invest in a whole new rear end.

I went from a 3.23 to a 3.73 and dropped 3 tenths off of my 1/8th mile time. There was a huge difference in pickup from a stop especially, and I have never tried to max the car out yet.

Good luck!!!
Old 01-29-2005, 12:11 PM
Fiery Features Director

Gears are basically used for the speed of rotation of the tires and keeping the motion together. By having a high end gear ratio (such as a 2.73) you are slowing the rmp of the motor on the highway and increasing engine life. When you pick a low end gear (such as a 4.10), you are giving the vehicle more power from a dead stop, but increasing the RPM's on the highway. If you plan to use the vehicle for racing more than driving, you should consider many factors before picking a gear ratio. Which transmission? What size tires? ...and if the car is an auto, which stall? All of these factors will change the gear that you will decide on. However, if the vehicle will see more street use, then it might be best to give a little. By going with a lower gear, you are going to give up a little fuel economy. If you do alot of highway driving, you will definately want to keep the rise of RPM in mind. ...and of course, as t1blackout mentioned, a low end gear will also increase your chances of needing to fork out some more money for a new rear.