Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

My quote from Patriot I have some concerns and questions. You guys know your sh!t....

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-2005, 09:43 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default My quote from Patriot I have some concerns and questions. You guys know your ****....

**For $1,495.00 you will get a pair of our CNC ported LQ9 heads. They will be assembled with our 23-8N stainless steel valves, bronze guides, machined spring bases, Patriot Gold .650" dual springs, Titanium retainers, super 7 locks, viton rubber seals, GM MLS head gaskets, OE head bolts, and shipping anywhere in the US. These heads will have 238cc intake runners ( the same runners as the LS6 head), 83cc "D" shaped exhaust runners ( the same as the LS6 head), 72cc combustion chambers, 2.05" stainless intake valves, and 1.60" stainless exhaust valves.**

1.) I was told that with my stock heads since my compression is stock that these heads will drop my compression to about 9.2:1.. Is that correct?

2. I'm concerned about the .650" dual springs, super 7 locks, and vitonrubber seals? Are they as good as the type of components I would buy seperate. Like comp cam 918's.. Don't the 918's come in dual? Aren't they the best? I've also never heard of Viton and Super 7!

3. What about rockers, lifters etc etc. When I buy the heads I'd like to have a complete head with the best bad *** valvetrain that will run with my planned mods.

As most of you guys know I'm planning a turbo kit and plan on using the GT2-3 cam with it. So since she is my daily driver and my hp goal is over 600 I'd like to get her down right the first time.

I don't care if the valvetrain is loud. That kinda stuff doesn't bother me. I'm more concerned about strength, durability, and reliability.
Old 01-29-2005, 10:01 AM
TECH Senior Member

do i see a 383 stroker in your sig? is that what is currently in your car?

to answer your question, no, 918's don't come in duals. the patriot gold spring kit is great, it won't let you down. i haven't seen a failure when they've been installed right.

rockers and lifters are seperate, and to each their own. they don't come with any head package that i know of, they are bought seperate. you would be able to buy them from some sponsers that carry heads, but no packages that i have seen include them.

if that IS a 383 i see, then the gt2-3 might be a little small. what are its exact specs?
Old 01-29-2005, 10:08 AM
TECH Fanatic

from what i have learned on the board here,the patriot gold dual spring is one of the best dual springs out there,as are the super 7 locks.that's what i'm using with my heads that i'll be installing this spring.i don't know about their valves,maybe someone else could chime in here that knows.if it was me,i would just use your stock rockers unless your reving to the moon.viton seals are what the factory uses,they are the best seal out there,IMO.as far as lifters,stock replacements from comp will work fine with your cam.don't know about the CR with those heads.
Old 01-29-2005, 11:08 AM
Launching!

I would recommend that you just upgrade the valves to the Rev's or whatever they offer.
Old 01-29-2005, 11:16 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by TripleBlackRamAirT/A
I would recommend that you just upgrade the valves to the Rev's or whatever they offer.
Tell them you would like upgraded valves to Ferrera or at least Rev's. Everything else is good.
Old 01-29-2005, 11:17 AM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by TripleBlackRamAirT/A
that sig pic is a little big, don't ya think?

i'd also suggest upgrading the valves tho. cheap insurance imho.
Old 01-29-2005, 12:21 PM
Suspended Sponsor Account

give us a call! we can answer all your questions and help you meet your goals.
Old 01-30-2005, 01:26 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by cyphur_traq
do i see a 383 stroker in your sig? is that what is currently in your car?

to answer your question, no, 918's don't come in duals. the patriot gold spring kit is great, it won't let you down. i haven't seen a failure when they've been installed right.

rockers and lifters are seperate, and to each their own. they don't come with any head package that i know of, they are bought seperate. you would be able to buy them from some sponsers that carry heads, but no packages that i have seen include them.

if that IS a 383 i see, then the gt2-3 might be a little small. what are its exact specs?
Yes I have a 383 shortblock. I'm currently working on finishing the top end. Heads are still stock.
Currently a LS6 GenIII Hotcam with LS6 Springs and Titanium retainers.
LT's are in my trunk waiting to get installed.
I'm planning a turbo car so that is why I'm chosing the Gt2-3 cam.
Old 01-30-2005, 02:21 PM
TECH Fanatic

The heads themselves are great. I would get the upgraded valves like the other said. I wish I did at the time.
Old 01-30-2005, 03:37 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by Mike98WS6
The heads themselves are great. I would get the upgraded valves like the other said. I wish I did at the time.
Yeah I think I'm definately going to upgrade everything I can. I don't wanna have to go back and redo anything.
Old 01-30-2005, 03:40 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by D3IMOS
I'm planning a turbo car so that is why I'm chosing the Gt2-3 cam.
I've noticed you're going for a turbo setup eventually, but I figured with the increase in cubes you'd want a somewhat larger turbo spec'd cam. I dunno.
Old 01-30-2005, 04:19 PM
TECH Fanatic

dude the steel valves that comes with the heads are already pretty good, you could get the brand names and be like yea i got rev vlaves, etc, etc, but ther is not a very big diff between them, specially iff you not spaying the living crap out of it or pusshing like 15 psi through the engine.
Old 01-30-2005, 04:52 PM
TECH Senior Member

i'd also suggest upgrading the valves tho. cheap insurance imho.
hate to quote myself....but i said it for a reason. you CAN trust their steel valves....and you CAN try to push 600rwhp through a stock 10bolt w/a 6 speed. doesn't mean its a good idea.
Old 01-30-2005, 05:28 PM
TECH Fanatic

hate to quote myself....but i said it for a reason. you CAN trust their steel valves....and you CAN try to push 600rwhp through a stock 10bolt w/a 6 speed. doesn't mean its a good idea.
thats not the same man casue we all know that the ten bolt will snap the second any power with slicks go on the car, you guys take this hole build up thin to far some times, and like i said unless you spraying like there is no tomorrow, or are pushing like 15 psi, or misshifting into every gear the stock valves, or the stock valves that the sponsors are putting on their heads will hold just fine. If you wana go that way then hey the stock radio is fine but another 500 watts will be better, the stock radiator is fine but hey a high performance one will do better, you gotta balance peroformance, durability, and cost for what you need. He only running a 100 shot he'll be more that fine with what comes with the heads, unless he is rich then who cares lets upgrade everything even if you dont need it.
Old 01-30-2005, 08:55 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by D3IMOS
Yeah I think I'm definately going to upgrade everything I can. I don't wanna have to go back and redo anything.
I guess I can't complain so far so good. Maybe I should just leave well enough alone.
Old 01-30-2005, 09:12 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I think the low compression heads will be good for you if your sure you are going with a turbo, but personally I would go with a bigger cam on the 383. Most guys with a 346 that go forced induction go with a bigger cam than that if i'm not mistaken.
Old 01-30-2005, 10:11 PM
TECH Senior Member

zamboxl...you're right, its not the same. it was a comparison on things that CAN be done, but may not be the BEST idea. he wants to do it right the first time....so why use lesser valves? its not a bank-breaking option. i prefer to use the best components i can afford as well, and if he can afford the better valves...its not such a bad idea.
Old 01-31-2005, 09:10 AM
Suspended Sponsor Account

D3IMOS- sent you a PM
Old 01-31-2005, 10:08 AM
Staging Lane

I've got the Stage 3 LS6 style heads on my car, w/ the Rev valves. Approx 3k on the motor, and no complaints so far, the car made the numbers in the sig with the stock LS6 manifold.
Old 01-31-2005, 10:12 AM
TECH Fanatic

zamboxl...you're right, its not the same. it was a comparison on things that CAN be done, but may not be the BEST idea. he wants to do it right the first time....so why use lesser valves? its not a bank-breaking option. i prefer to use the best components i can afford as well, and if he can afford the better valves...its not such a bad idea.
yea you wright about that, i guess it was just the cheap @ss in me coming out for a second.