Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

question

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-2005, 04:45 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default question

I know there is a big "is a firebird a trans am" thread below but I just wanted to know something.
Im looking for a 98+ Trans am and I stumbled upon many firebirds with fewer miles with ls1 engine for cheaper, but I noticed they arent a 6speed so my question is
1. What are the "Trans am" and Firebird differences?
2. Camaro parts and Trans am parts fit etc..so would that also apply to firebirds?

Thanks
Old 01-29-2005, 06:15 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by sonicboom141
I know there is a big "is a firebird a trans am" thread below but I just wanted to know something.
Im looking for a 98+ Trans am and I stumbled upon many firebirds with fewer miles with ls1 engine for cheaper, but I noticed they arent a 6speed so my question is
1. What are the "Trans am" and Firebird differences?
2. Camaro parts and Trans am parts fit etc..so would that also apply to firebirds?

Thanks
Like in the thread, a Trans AM is a firebird. Its called a Firebird Trans AM, just like a Z28 is a Camaro, its called Camaro Z28.
A Firebird (atleast the newer ones, not the ones from the 60s-70s) are the V6 model of the Trans AM. Basically the "base" model, just like the Camaro is a V6, and the Z28 and SS are a V8. The Trans AM is basically a totally upgraded version of the Firebird. It has a V8(the LS1), new tranny (T-56 6M or A4, opposed to a 5M or A4) brakes, looks (front grille, and larger wing) suspension, etc. If you find a Firebird with a V8 its either a Trans AM, or a Firebird Formula (or even a Firehawk).
The V6 Firebird also usually comes with an ugly body skirt. Here:
Trans AM

Firebird (image is big, so i didnt post it) click-
http://www.seaboard.org/99Firebird.jpg
Notice the different front, and wing. also that ugly skirt...
Old 01-29-2005, 06:24 PM
Teching In

Most firebirds I have found have v8 5speeds instead of the 6speed, I guess ill have to email them to find out if its a trans am or what "model" it is
Old 01-30-2005, 03:59 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by sonicboom141
Most firebirds I have found have v8 5speeds instead of the 6speed, I guess ill have to email them to find out if its a trans am or what "model" it is
Are you sure they're LS1s? If they are its either a typo or a lie. All LS1s (and i think LT1s too) in manual form are a 6 speed. There are no 5 speed manual LS1s.
Old 01-30-2005, 06:08 PM
TECH Regular

Your correct NO 4th gens LT1's or LS1's came 5M

They are all M6s unless autos of course