Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

agostino stage III heads too big??

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-2005, 07:44 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default agostino stage III heads too big??

Looking to add H/C to my car and would like to get 420+rwhp. Planning on either a TR224 or FM13 cam and looking for second hand heads (on a budget!). looking at a set of ARE stage III's and wondering if they are too big. They have Manley 2.08/1.60" stainless steel valves.

My motor is currently internally stock with stock bore etc...
Old 01-29-2005, 10:03 PM
jrp
SN95 Director

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

they are probably setup for a 4"+ bore size and i'd wager the port volume was up there.

what is your budget and which cam are you going to get? there are deals out there, just have to find them. i paid 1085 for my FFHP's.
Old 01-29-2005, 10:36 PM
TECH Resident

My budget is $1k-ish or less for heads. I pride myself on my ability to find good deals but when it comes to heads and cam I am just a bit out of my element. I think I got the basics down but i am someone who won't buy unless I know I am sure. if you can find me a good deal I'd greatly appreciate it.

I want either a FM13 or TR224, and my goal is 420+rwhp with good driveability and need to run on pump gas etc etc. Will go with on the car in my sig. Motor is currently internally stock and untouched.

Seen whats looks to be some good deals on ebay but not sure if they will work for me....one of them is the ARE stage III's....
Old 01-29-2005, 10:54 PM
jrp
SN95 Director

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

keep in mind, heads are where the power lies. it would be in your best interest to maybe spend a bit more if need be. im not saying go out and buy 3k hand finished AFR's but you also dont want a cheap used head with a worn out valve job and springs.

if you do buy used have them inspected before installation so you can verify your purchase. 50 bucks can save you headaches down the line.
Old 01-29-2005, 10:59 PM
TECH Resident

Yeah i hear you. The way I was shopping was to buy it if the casting itself was worth it, than if the valves and springs are still good I made out. Have you ever heard of a casting that is actually cracked or flawed?? It seems as long as you clean it up its good to go. maybe I am missing something with that? Mostly i am looking at heads that have been cleaned and reassembled with new springs...
Old 01-30-2005, 02:25 PM
TECH Fanatic

Stage 3's are going to be too big for you. Unless you are stroking the engine or something to take advantage of the bigger valves, you won't be happy with the results. You also would need a bigger cam to compliment those heads.