Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

TRANS WONT BOLT/MATE BACK UP.. wtf???? 98 4l60e

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-2005, 12:41 PM
11 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default TRANS WONT BOLT/MATE BACK UP.. wtf???? 98 4l60e

its wont mate or bolt back into place... no reason i can think of it shouldn't.. have put trans back in about 3 previous times, nothing is different, nothing has changed.... pulled it out 4 times and checked that the converter ect was seated properly...

BOLTS GET ABOUT 2/3's the way in and they wont bolt back up... have no idea.. stock flexplate same converter going back in thsi guys trans.. tried all different tilts ect.....

IS THERE ANYTHING YA"LL can think would be HOLDING IT UP....???? were about to just put the damn bolts in and go with it... i have no idea except that the car has a lot of miles on it and somehow something is rusted and just doesn't want to go..... any suggestions welcome.. car is a 98TA with 4L60E
Old 02-01-2005, 12:54 PM
On The Tree

That torque converter sounds like its not going in, done this numerous times back in the day lol. The bolts get about 2/3 through and stop/give force in order to turn, only thing I can think of is that torque converter is not all the way in for whatever reason and your about to square the hub.

Not judging your mechanical knowledge, but sometimes a torque converter takes 3 to 4 clunks before it slots all the way in, hell sometimes more if the pump seal is tight enough around it. My guess is going to that, could be something else but I'll bank its that TC. Did you spin/jiggle it while setting it in?
Old 02-01-2005, 01:00 PM
On The Tree

Also you'd be very surprized how easy it is for the TC to fall back out, especially on some of the trannies I've built with the small TC hub.
Old 02-01-2005, 01:09 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I agree, check the TQ to be fully seated again. Also, make sure the wiring is not in the way or something else. When I reinstalled my TH400 on to our 1998 Z28, I had similar issues ... I double checked the TQ to be seated, I turned it many times until it wouldn't go in further (it should be about 1/2" into the bellhousing). Put the trans back up and aligned the dowel pins, it slid right in up against the engine. Also check your dowel pins for and damage or bends/knicks. These things needs to be almost perfect or you will bind going back in.
Old 02-01-2005, 01:59 PM
11 Second Club

tq converter is fully seated.. we got the bolts in about 2/3 of the way and it like "CLUNKED" into place.. not the converter, but i think the trans finally like lodged into place correctly and mated... its hard sliding the trans into place when ur damn on ur back with two regular jacks holding up the trans lol. i think it will be okay.

i guess if we fire it up and its all binding and ripping **** up we know it was wrong.. **** it, ive been on my back to damn long and i have to go into work from 5-1am tonight lol.
Old 02-01-2005, 02:00 PM
11 Second Club

btw this isn't my car, this is a buddy's car, it has a "unheard of" converter in it.. i have no idea what kind it is lol. also whoever built teh trans last time did a shitty job of it.. looks like they used a lot of wrong **** inside the trans.
Old 02-01-2005, 04:41 PM
On The Tree

Thats just the thing, you wont know and it wont "rip **** up", it'll either crank over and not go anywhere because you cracked the ring gear to the oil pump up and fucked the TC, or you logded the torque converter in there and it square its hub. The only way to know is when you go to fire it up, if the starter hits it and doesnt turn it over, then you just square the hub, if it turns it over and doesnt go anywhere, you gotta tear back into the tranny. Either way you just risked even more time on your back and possibly in the tranny over a short temper. Better to do things right in the midst rather than be more cost effective. Who knows, might work, but through past adventures with trannies I've had the same exact thing happen and thought I could force it on and bam squared the hub on a 90 F250 and ran me another torque converter and tearing the tranny down for a new seal. Good luck either way.

Quick Reply: TRANS WONT BOLT/MATE BACK UP.. wtf???? 98 4l60e