Gears & Axles Driveshafts | Rearends | Differentials | Gears | 12 Bolt | 9 Inch | Dana

Help in deciding on a 9inch.

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-2005, 05:48 AM
11 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Help in deciding on a 9inch.

For the last year and a half I swore I was getting a Moser 12 bolt. Then I got to reading about 12 bolts breaking and I think I want to go with a 9 inch instead. I have also read that a locker is stronger than a limited slip unit. So my questions are<< Is a locker(such as a detroit) locker diecent on the street? What spline axles? What brand(beings how this will be an axle assymbaly)? I plan on running in the high to mid 10s by summer on spray with a MG and 4:10s on MT drag radials. All advice is welcome
Old 02-04-2005, 08:09 PM
TECH Fanatic

I just got a Moser housing with 31 spline axles and a Strange center section with Detroit soft locker. It's only been in for two weeks but I really think I'm going to like it. Talk to Jay Billingsley one of our spsonors, he's a good guy.
Old 02-04-2005, 09:01 PM
!LS1 11 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If you're gonna go with a 9", definately talk to Billinglsey (I wish I had). I've run a posi on both 9" setups I've used, but from what I've read, a locker is a streetable alternative to a spool, while still being plenty stronger than a posi.
Old 02-04-2005, 09:08 PM
9 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

agreed, talk to Jay at Billingsley. no offense to him, but it may take him a day or two to get back to you. it's not his full time gig, so he doesn't answer his phone. don't get too upset about it 'cause he's not avoiding you.

later,
Dave
Old 02-04-2005, 11:09 PM
11 Second Club

Thanks fellas, Ill shoot him an email or call. Like I said, Ive been reading this board for a while and I think a 9inch with a locker is the stoughtest, but streetable combo I can go with.
Old 02-05-2005, 12:21 AM
TECH Fanatic

From what I've read, if you want it more streetable, you want the "soft locker" option, which only comes on 31 spline axles. This will be a lot more streetable. Talk to Billingsley, and they have a group purchase in the sponsor section that might get going here pretty soon, so you have good timing.
Old 02-05-2005, 12:49 AM
10 Second Club

Let us know how it goes and post your 9" setup and price.
Old 02-05-2005, 12:28 PM
TECH Resident

I have a moser 9" with a detroit locker. I have put about 28,000 miles on it now. 31 spline you can get 33 spline but you can find 31 spline stuff anywhere so I went with that. the locker is fun as hell on the street!!!!!!! a little noisy but you forget about it! I love it and well never run anything else in a car that is race....driving hard.
Old 02-05-2005, 03:33 PM
11 Second Club

^ thats what I was thinking. I think I may go that same route. The noise wont bother me either. From doing some looking around the 9inches are around the same $$ as a 12 bolt. Where did you get yours? Is it all Moser or are the axels a diffrent brand?
Old 02-05-2005, 03:37 PM
TECH Resident

no I have a moser houseing, moser axels. just how much are you looking at for one now cause I got a good deal on mine. (for comparison)
Old 02-05-2005, 10:34 PM
11 Second Club

Ive been looking around and seen some for around the 2400ish range.
Old 02-06-2005, 02:14 PM
11 Second Club

After my 10-bolt sheared an axle I went with the Moser 9". I was going for bomb-proof and went with the locker, 4.11's and the 35 spline axles. I don't think my locker is the soft-locker it is called TrueTrak or something like that.

I have never worried once at the track about the rear even when playing with 5k dumps on nittos. It feels solid.

On the street it takes a bit of getting used to but it won't take you long to figure out what not to do with one. You may feel like you forgot how to drive a manual at times cause the car can buck and jerk like a mother if you get it just right where you are going slow and it locks, ulocks, locks, ulocks (like in a slow sharp turn). My only concern was putting it in and then having someone else drive the car who didn't realize they needed to be careful. Like my dad always loves taking it out when I'm home.

For all the issues people have had with Moser my only issue was I was sent the wrong center section. I called Moser and they had a new one out to me in a matter of days and paid for the shipping of the posi-unit back to them. Mine also doesn't whine but maybe I got lucky.
Old 02-07-2005, 02:53 AM
TECH Resident

Well I went the same route as Johnny5, but I am not having nearly as much good vibes. I also went with the 35 spline axles and locker, but mine sounds like it is going to break (or is already broke) everytime I drive the car. Everyone that has been around the car since I got it going over a week ago thinks something is seriously wrong, but tech support claims it is normal for a detroit locker. I think if I had to do it all over, I would have gone with a 12 bolt and HD posi. By the way, my Moser housing brackets were way off compared to the stock housing, the T/A mount was crooked and required a considerable enlargement of the attaching bolt holes on the Spohn T/A to get it bind free, and the rear end alignment had to be adjusted considerably to get it tracking straight (good thing I went with adjustable LCA's a few months ago). By the way, after replacing the LCA's with the stock rear end, the thrust was checked at an alignment shop and was almost perfect, after the 9" swap it was way out w/o the LCA's being changed. I had to change the adjustable panhard quite a bit to center the new axle as well. I am still trying to determine if this is just something I will have to get used to, or if I do indeed have a bad locker. I will sure post results as soon as I have them.
Old 02-07-2005, 04:04 AM
On The Tree

I honestly dont think your car is normal.

When I installed charlies driveshaft in his 9", there was some play, but not as much as yours.

BTW... wassup johnny!
Old 02-07-2005, 11:25 AM
TECH Fanatic

Every once in a while I get one hell of a clunk, kind of scary , but I think it's normal. Usually, all I get is clicking and clacking that's barely audible. One thing I try to do before I do a burn out is like pre load the rear so that it's already engaged.
Old 02-07-2005, 11:39 AM
On The Tree

I am planning on getting the 9" with the locker. Does the locker disengage when you shift? Can I run my stock suspension until I get a TQ arm?
Old 02-07-2005, 06:52 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by M6HTZ
I am planning on getting the 9" with the locker. Does the locker disengage when you shift? Can I run my stock suspension until I get a TQ arm?
Mine does when casual shifting. Also, you will need an adjustable T/A when you get the 9". The pinion sets considerably lower than a stock 10 bolt does which will affect your driveshaft to pinion angle.
Old 02-07-2005, 07:18 PM
TECH Fanatic

I don't feel mine disengage on a shift, when the car is going straight down the road. Also, I did not need an adjustable torque arm. I did have to grind a big chunk out of one of the TA mounts on the housing, and add 1/2" shims so the sway bar would fit.
Old 02-07-2005, 08:17 PM
TECH Resident

mine fit fine with no grining or shims.
Old 02-08-2005, 12:26 AM
TECH Resident

I see you have a soft locker, that is not available for the 35 spline axles. Supposedly they are more forgiving than the Full locker, allthough, I am still not convinced yet that I do not have a defective locker. Have you ever bothered to check your pinion/driveshaft/transmission angles since you did the swap. I would be almost positive they are way out of wack, but I guess as long as it is working for you and you do not have any vibration and have not broken anything that it will be OK. Just keep in mind, the pinion is 1.5" below the ring gear center on the GM 12 bolt (similar on the 10 bolt but not sure of the exact number), but 2.5" below the ring gear center on the 9". So if you do not change anything else, your driveshaft angle will have changed for sure. Since I did not use the stock T/A, I can not say for sure how much.
Originally Posted by bigdsz
I don't feel mine disengage on a shift, when the car is going straight down the road. Also, I did not need an adjustable torque arm. I did have to grind a big chunk out of one of the TA mounts on the housing, and add 1/2" shims so the sway bar would fit.