Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Valve Train noise and oil pickup screen

Old 02-04-2005, 04:12 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Valve Train noise and oil pickup screen

I recently rebuild an LS1 engine having replaced pretty much every single component in it except the block.

After starting it, I found that the lifters were making a LOT of noise. I ran ATF through the engine for some time.

While there was significant improvement, the problem remained.

I watched the rockers while the engine ran and only a trickle of oil flowed over the rockers.

Frustrated, I removed the oil pan with great difficulty.

The inside of the engine was completely varnish free. ATF really does clean VERY well.

Still confused, I examined the o-ring on the pickup tube to find that it was in perfect condition and properly sealing.

Examining the pickup tube more carefully, I noticed that the screen on the tube was COMPLETELY plugged up by a cake of steel wool. Some of these filings were most likely there from the damage prior to the rebuild - perhaps in the passages... However, its not unusual to collect some of this "wool" as time goes on.

I wonder if this is not responsible for some of the lifter noise and oiling problem associate with the LS1.

The pickup tube on the LS1 is pretty small. Quite a bit smaller than on a first gen SBC.

Thoughts?

I seriously wonder if in the long run, it wouldn't be better to allow debree to enter the oil pump and circulate where it would be removed by the filter. Yes, this may cause some minor damage to the pump but surely not nearly the damage to the entire engine that comes from low oil pressure caused by oil starvation.

Has anyone come to this conclusion or considered this solution?

Any other solutions?

I plan on gluing a large neodymium magnet at the bottom of the pan. Hopefully this will catch all steel particles anyway. I can't imaging that particles of aluminum should be an issue for the pump to handle and deposit into the oil filter.

I am seriously considering tearing this screen out.

Sam.
Old 02-04-2005, 05:12 PM
TECH Fanatic

i would leave the screen in.you can also get a bigger oil filter to help out.
Old 02-04-2005, 06:20 PM
Cal
TECH Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Interesting . . . could be one reason so many people complain about valvetrain noise with these engnes. To bad it is so hard to get the pan off to inspect the screen. Why don't you remove the screen, then report back here with your results after 10,000 miles.
Old 02-05-2005, 08:01 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by 66deuce
i would leave the screen in.you can also get a bigger oil filter to help out.

No oil filter will help this problem. The pump is being starved for oil. The filter is on the opposite side.

I believe the screen pickup is just too small. It takes very little in the way of debree to plug it up and SEVERELY restrict flow. The debree that I had was a very fine "wool" that collected into the screen. It was TIGHTLY packed inside the screen housing. It almost looked like it belonged there!

I J.B. Welded two very powerful samarium - cobalt magnets into the pan. The high Curie point of samarium cobalt makes it ideal for use in an engine.

I considered welding the pickup screen from an SBC on to the tube but I'm going to hold off for now to see if the magnets eliminate this problem.

I will drive the engine for another 5000 miles or until any sign of lifter noise and then remove the pan. If the screen is clear, I will consider the magnets a cure for this problem. If not, they will come out and I will add a couple more magnets right next to the pickup tube.

Sam.
Old 02-05-2005, 08:22 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by samgm2
No oil filter will help this problem. The pump is being starved for oil. The filter is on the opposite side.

I believe the screen pickup is just too small. It takes very little in the way of debree to plug it up and SEVERELY restrict flow. The debree that I had was a very fine "wool" that collected into the screen. It was TIGHTLY packed inside the screen housing. It almost looked like it belonged there!

I J.B. Welded two very powerful samarium - cobalt magnets into the pan. The high Curie point of samarium cobalt makes it ideal for use in an engine.

I considered welding the pickup screen from an SBC on to the tube but I'm going to hold off for now to see if the magnets eliminate this problem.

I will drive the engine for another 5000 miles or until any sign of lifter noise and then remove the pan. If the screen is clear, I will consider the magnets a cure for this problem. If not, they will come out and I will add a couple more magnets right next to the pickup tube.

Sam.
that's kinda scary.every time i change my oil i get some very fine metal shavings,almost like powder.it's normal from what i know.i was thinking a bigger oil filter would give you more surface area to catch debris.i will be changing my oil pan gasket this spring and i'll check the pick up while i'm at it and if i see anything unusual i will post it.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Valve Train noise and oil pickup screen