Gears & Axles Driveshafts | Rearends | Differentials | Gears | 12 Bolt | 9 Inch | Dana

Rear end sounds like a Tornado Siren..Help!!

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-2005, 10:38 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rear end sounds like a Tornado Siren..Help!!

Rear end sounds like a tornado siren..Help!! I bought my 02 Z28 with 50K miles on it......Over the past few months the rear end has started roaring from start to stop and gets loud at 60mph, that when it sounds like a tornado siren. I don't think it make any noise in reverse..I made a 450 mile road trip last night and wow is it louder!!
All fluid levels are fine....Now i'm starting to hear a whinning noise that almost seems to be coming from the tranny but I really think it is coming from the rearend. The car is lowered with a M6 and I'm pretty sure stock 3:42's
Thanks in advance for your help...
Old 02-05-2005, 11:37 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

sounds like a gear problem.
Old 02-05-2005, 12:26 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

At higher speeds the sound can transmit throught the driveshaft and sound like it's in the trans.

Sounds like a bearing is going out. That is bad. Backlash can be affected by a bad carrier bearing. Take a good look inside. Get a good screw driver or prybar and see if it moves side to side. If so bad carrier bearing.

Back lash should not just Become excessive if it is stock. Something has to go in order for this to happen.

Also pull the Driveshaft and check the pinion. Should bearly move without making contact with the ring. PLUS the pinion should not move up and down or side to side. Make a good inspection around the rear.

about 250 miles before my 10bolt went it started to howl excessively. The pinion race had shifted from launching hard on E.T. Streets. Finnally the race just spun.

Quick Reply: Rear end sounds like a Tornado Siren..Help!!