Gears & Axles Driveshafts | Rearends | Differentials | Gears | 12 Bolt | 9 Inch | Dana

Know anything about rear ends? come on in

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-2005, 01:23 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Know anything about rear ends? come on in

99' TA stock all around 46K miles 3.23 gears stock automatic A4 i think. when i bought it maybe 4-5 months ago i heard a low soft whine from the rear but the guy i had with me checking it out had one of these before and assured me it was just the sound of trans am's in general. I'm a little rough on her at take off and been to the track for three runs total with regular street tires and 16" rims.

The whine seems to be getting progresivly louder over the weeks in mid RMP range like 2600-3100 and on top of this I noticed a slight hint of a low pitch clicking noise today while turning so i went into an empty parking lot and drove it around to confirm that i do have a clicking noise coming out of the rear end when turning when turning left. i didn't hear it as much when turing right though.

Any thoughts?

I'm putting togather a list of mods to do this coming month, is a new rear end one that i need right now? or should i just drive it untill it breaks?

What happenes when the rear goes out anyways? anything dangerous?

Jon

www.gamblersbonusmall.com
Old 02-05-2005, 02:33 PM
12 Second Club

Mine was whining pretty bad when it went out the first time....replaced under 3/36K.......worst case scenerio your ring or pinion break and the rear seizes up....
Old 02-05-2005, 06:08 PM
On The Tree

My first 10 bolt, (yes I was dumb enough to get a second . Did the exact same thing right before it broke. Soon it will start making the noise going the other way too. Later it will turn into a pop when turning and then . You have some time. Start saving for a rear. You can fix it if it's broke, but it will break again.
Old 02-05-2005, 06:11 PM
TECH Junkie

Get the car up on a lift and drain the rear axle fluid into a clean container. Check the old fluid for fine metal particles, metal chips or chunks. Rotate the assembly slowly, checking each gear tooth as you go. As you turn a wheel, rotating the assembly, also try to look inside the carrier, checking for broke or chipped teeth.Also,check for excessive play at pinion gear while rotating mass back and forth. Clean the base of housing, again checking for alot of metal particles, chips, etc. If everything looks good, re-install cover, fill w/conventional petroleum based gear oil, adding a bottle of GM limited-slip axle additive. If there's no improvement, have a experienced rear axle tech who's familiar w/the 7.5" GM axle assy. survey the problem. Maybe zoomora, or someone else can add something else constructive.....Good luck. WJ
Old 02-05-2005, 09:24 PM
14 Second Truck Club

New fluid with new additive wil lbuy you some time, but it is on its way out.
Old 02-06-2005, 03:38 AM
Staging Lane

So my best bet is to start planning a new rear end. I'm aiming for some mods to be done that'll get me into like 420HP+ at the wheels. and possible later higher with FI or NO2. it seems i shouldn't replace it with a cheap rear so what whould be a good one? if I'm' going to get another one put on i'd rather pay a few more $'s and get something that will last through my future upgrades and abuse.