Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

SES Flashing when using Nitrous...

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-2005, 12:14 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default SES Flashing when using Nitrous...

So i was doing back to back runs on a 100 shot Dry (NOS) everything was working damn good like usual. Than this one time i banged the limiter hard in 1st gear. Wasnt paying attention, my mind was somewhere else i guess. Anyways than my very next run i took off and bogged off the line hit the Nitrous and worked through 1st gear i never spray till about 3200 RPMS (Window Switch) than 2nd gear it starts to feel like the bottle frooze over (i have a bottle heater) than 3rd gear i see SES light come on and started flashing and the car fell on its face.. I thought i broke something in the motor. What could this have been? Did i break anything? Was this because possibly a bent pushrod? I'm running NGK TR6 plugs with maybe 2k miles on them. Gapped at .35 - .38

What should i look for ? I THINK The car runs fine N/A. There is no unusual noise from the motor. Should i pull the plugs and the pushrods to see if what could have happened? Can i bend the pushrods by hitting the rev limiter pretty hard?

Thanks for the help in advance
Old 02-06-2005, 12:26 PM
TECH Junkie

almost every time i've seen a blinking SES is because of misfires. Not sure what else causes it, but I've never seen anything else do it. Might want to pull the plugs and see how they look.
Old 02-06-2005, 12:30 PM
Launching!

since i was using N20 when it happened does that make it that much worse? Can that cause damange to the motor?

What about banging the rev limiter, does that have anything to do with this?
Old 02-06-2005, 02:12 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

misfires cause the SES light to flash, perhaps extreme detonation. I'm guessing you went way lean due to a tuning or fuel delivery problem while spraying. I'd pull a plug and make sure its not melted.
Old 02-06-2005, 02:44 PM
10 Second Club

I would pull the pushrods. I bent a push rod tapping the limiter in the burnout box and the car was throwing a misfire code at random for the rest of the night. It wouldn't hurt to pull plugs too, if your RPM off is close to the limiter you may have burnt acoupel of ground straps.
Old 02-06-2005, 08:02 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by GM Muscle
I would pull the pushrods. I bent a push rod tapping the limiter in the burnout box and the car was throwing a misfire code at random for the rest of the night. It wouldn't hurt to pull plugs too, if your RPM off is close to the limiter you may have burnt acoupel of ground straps.
After you got your first SES flashing did you just throw it randomly when you were shooting n20 or just driving around N/A? Because i only got it once and that was while i was shooting the N20. Since i've driven around N/A a few WOT runs and it seems fine.
Old 02-06-2005, 09:47 PM
TECH Regular

a flashing ses means a catalyst damaging misfire. most misfires will just set a code and illuminate the ses, if its flashing u have quite a bad one. i would check the obvious things first that have already been stated.
Old 02-07-2005, 01:31 AM
Launching!

how did you hit the rev limiter with a window switch? dont you have it set to shut off the n2o before the limiter? just curios im going the n2o route soon.
Old 02-07-2005, 02:21 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Like was said before, a flashing SES is usually a hefty misfire. Check your plugs. And your pushrods if you're feeling wary of hitting the rev limiter like that. If you've been running fine otherwise, though, I'd say that you're probably alright.
Old 02-07-2005, 09:18 AM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by Camaroguy
After you got your first SES flashing did you just throw it randomly when you were shooting n20 or just driving around N/A? Because i only got it once and that was while i was shooting the N20. Since i've driven around N/A a few WOT runs and it seems fine.
It would usually actually flash coming out of the burnout box or when the throttle snapped shut after a run (stay illuminated the whole time). Basicly, if I had the car idle in P and brought up the rpms and snap the throttle the car would want to die when it came back down to idle and the SES would flash. Like the guys said, Flashing SES will corspond to cat damage, in the case of a random mutiple misfire is has to detect a level 4+ damage to flash. It will flash even if you don't have cats. It would help if you found out exactly what code you are throwing.
Old 02-07-2005, 09:23 AM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by 44mag
how did you hit the rev limiter with a window switch? dont you have it set to shut off the n2o before the limiter? just curios im going the n2o route soon.
you're right, window switch will shut off the nitrous before he hits the limiter, but it will not stop his engine from hitting the limiter. basically, he hit the limiter but the window switch should have made sure that he was not spraying when it happened.
Old 02-07-2005, 09:25 AM
TECH Fanatic

I want to know that as well sicne he has a window switch. Did you bump the rev limiter on the n20 or after the n20 run.
Old 02-07-2005, 12:15 PM
Launching!

I hit the rev limiter OFF n20 because i wasnt paying attention i was actually paying attention to the z28 next to me and just wasnt thinking. Like i mentioned above, my mind was somewhere else.
Yes i do have a window switch and its set to turn off n20 at 5800RPMs (just to be safe because my rev limiter is stock) so i bang the rev limiter off N20. But i hit the limiter pretty hard and i believe it was more than once.. By the time i realized what i was going on i think i hit the limiter like 2 or 3 times and the needle was some where around like 6.5 - 7k rpms.

I want to know that as well sicne he has a window switch. Did you bump the rev limiter on the n20 or after the n20 run.
I hit the limiter during the n20 run but the n20 shuts off at 5800rpms. Then i went to run again since the first run i bangged out the rev limiter pretty good and that slowed me down a good deal. Everything seemed fine on the next run 1st good, 2nd good, and the middle of 3rd the car just cut out practially fell on its face i looked down and see a flashing the SES. The rpms were like surging down to 500rpms to 900rpms than after i costed for a minute the idle went back to normal. I parked and shut the car off for a second. Turned it back on and the ses was gone car seemed fine after. I still havent gotten a chance to pull the plugs or check the pushrods.

Last edited by Camaroguy; 02-07-2005 at 12:21 PM.