Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

AFR and Cam selection,some info

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-2005, 12:24 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Smile AFR and Cam selection,some info

I've been messing around with a few Cams in 1 car and have found out some good stuff.
The Car has a stock 346 shortblock with AFR 205's untouched,Hooker longtubes,ported LS6 intake/TB,underdrive pulley and a 9" rear with 4.10's.
So far from what we have tried bigger is not alway's better.We had a TR 230 in the car when the heads went on,tested that out then tried a Cam in the range of 232/238 and lost alot of midrange power,then gained some above 5500rpm.Then switched back to a custom reverse split grind under 230 but higher lift and gained it all back and then some.Driveability is a hell of alot better too.
This is very vague untill I'm done with testing the Cams out.When I'm done I'll post it up.For now I see reverse splits making alot more power,better drivability than traditional splits
Old 02-06-2005, 12:46 PM
10 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

What cam do you plan on using for your LS402 with the AFR 225's? Not trying to steal specs, just curious since you probably will be the first LS402 finished.
Old 02-06-2005, 01:23 PM
10 Second Club

How did you come about that observation of the reverse split being better than the traditional? I assume you have been testing this theory, can you share your results? I am curious about this because the Stealth II cam has horrible performance with the AFR 205 heads in comparison to a traditional split. Even Tony says that reverse splits didn't do as well in their testing as traditional's. Keep us informed...

Dan
Old 02-06-2005, 01:48 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Originally Posted by DanZ28
How did you come about that observation of the reverse split being better than the traditional? I assume you have been testing this theory, can you share your results? I am curious about this because the Stealth II cam has horrible performance with the AFR 205 heads in comparison to a traditional split. Even Tony says that reverse splits didn't do as well in their testing as traditional's. Keep us informed...

Dan
Driving,tuning,dyno testing (tracks are closed). This is hands on testing,not theory's.I've been lucky enough to tune/dyno other customer's cars that have installed AFR's too,so that helps a bit on top of my own work
I know AFR has done there homework on there heads.I'm just sharing result's of box stock AFR's, no milling,stock GM MLS gasket's(cheap compared to Cometics) and LS6 intakes.

Last edited by Slowhawk; 02-06-2005 at 01:53 PM.
Old 02-06-2005, 01:56 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Have you tried a close grind reverse or traditional split? By that I mean something like a 234/236 or a 240/238, not a 230/224...

Floyd.
Old 02-06-2005, 01:59 PM
TECH Regular

Good info. There is always something to be said for results as opposed to theory.
Has anybody else tried a symetrical cam with the AFR's ?
Old 02-06-2005, 02:08 PM
jrp
SN95 Director

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

are these reverse throughout the whole lobe profile? and how big of a split.
Old 02-06-2005, 02:19 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by Slowhawk
Driving,tuning,dyno testing (tracks are closed). This is hands on testing,not theory's.I've been lucky enough to tune/dyno other customer's cars that have installed AFR's too,so that helps a bit on top of my own work
I know AFR has done there homework on there heads.I'm just sharing result's of box stock AFR's, no milling,stock GM MLS gasket's(cheap compared to Cometics) and LS6 intakes.
It's always a good thing to have actual results, I agree. I know your still testing, but what do you mean by "alot more power"? Are you getting better results than the AFR cams or the G5X3 cam? What standard splits are you using? XE-R lobes?

Not doubting or anything, just very curious
Old 02-06-2005, 03:19 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Originally Posted by DanZ28
It's always a good thing to have actual results, I agree. I know your still testing, but what do you mean by "alot more power"? Are you getting better results than the AFR cams or the G5X3 cam? What standard splits are you using? XE-R lobes?

Not doubting or anything, just very curious
I measure the midrange power mostly.The bigger Cams peak higher in HP but I would much rather have more power from 2000rpm to 5500rpm,that wins races I've been trying different lobes too with some good result's.
Old 02-06-2005, 03:22 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Originally Posted by jrp
are these reverse throughout the whole lobe profile? and how big of a split.
I knew you would ask that I'll let you know in the future

I use to do all the math,flow's ect and the result's are not what they are suppose to be.I'm finding out with actual testing that stuff that shouldn't work actually works better
Old 02-06-2005, 03:42 PM
jrp
SN95 Director

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I use to do all the math,flow's ect and the result's are not what they are suppose to be.I'm finding out with actual testing that stuff that shouldn't work actually works better
lol, i justs want to do a bit bench racing before i can test out my own "reverse" split

im very interested in the results regardless, its funny how theory doesnt always work in practice.
Old 02-06-2005, 05:45 PM
TECH Fanatic

I measure the midrange power mostly.The bigger Cams peak higher in HP but I would much rather have more power from 2000rpm to 5500rpm,that wins races I've been trying different lobes too with some good result's.
It depends on what kind of racing your talking about. No doubt the smaller cams with better mid range will be better driving on the street and more punchy, but if you are drag racing against the bigger cam car who is dumping the clutch at 6Krpm (or a 4000 stall auto) with a 4:56 geared 9 inch on slicks I'd bet on the bigger cammed car that shifts at 6800-7k rpm and has noticeably more peak HP.

If you want low and midrange power for a street car, obviously a beast cam is not the appropriate choice.
Old 02-06-2005, 06:49 PM
TECH Resident

Any way we could get the graphs or an overlay of all the runs?
Old 02-06-2005, 09:05 PM
Staging Lane

Yeah, give us printouts of the comparisons. This is very interesting ot me as well.
Old 02-06-2005, 09:09 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Originally Posted by JF WS6
It depends on what kind of racing your talking about. No doubt the smaller cams with better mid range will be better driving on the street and more punchy, but if you are drag racing against the bigger cam car who is dumping the clutch at 6Krpm (or a 4000 stall auto) with a 4:56 geared 9 inch on slicks I'd bet on the bigger cammed car that shifts at 6800-7k rpm and has noticeably more peak HP.

If you want low and midrange power for a street car, obviously a beast cam is not the appropriate choice.
Yes,I agree to a point.To take advantage of the BIG Cam and high gears you need your car to be very light.Most of the BIG Cams torque drop too much up top to move our heavy cars.Probly about 95% of the people that own LS1's should be running midrange setup's. Also the Cams I'm going through have all pulled to 7000rpm without dropping hp.
Old 02-06-2005, 09:11 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Originally Posted by jrp
lol, i justs want to do a bit bench racing before i can test out my own "reverse" split

im very interested in the results regardless, its funny how theory doesnt always work in practice.
I'm still waiting for your #'s/impressions. You know Ed is a neighbor of our's and we do work with him on some projects.
Old 02-06-2005, 11:36 PM
11 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Yeah, kinda funny you mention that. A friend had a custom grind made after reading some of the "Camshaft Discussion" threads and speaking to a few people about it. The cam he had ground wasn't suppose to idle, surge like crazy and engine was suppose to run like ****.

Well, it lopes a little, idles great and made 410hp/395 tq (iirc on torque), cam only, with an ironing board torque curve. Something along the lines of "222/226". Hell thats more than most heads and "my dick is bigger than yours" cams. We aren't experts or pros but one things for sure, Ed Curtis wasn't kidding!
Old 02-06-2005, 11:38 PM
TECH Fanatic

Yes,I agree to a point.To take advantage of the BIG Cam and high gears you need your car to be very light.Most of the BIG Cams torque drop too much up top to move our heavy cars.Probly about 95% of the people that own LS1's should be running midrange setup's. Also the Cams I'm going through have all pulled to 7000rpm without dropping hp.
I agree with your comments, but mostly in regards to a street car type set up that is nearly full weight. I guess it depends on what you consider "very light" as well. There are a few board members who have 10 second cam only cars with the TREX that are 3400 lbs. or so that got faster with the bigger cam. The lighter the car, the better the gains of course, but that could be said with any car. The lighter it is, the faster it will be.

I'm sure most of the cams you've tested didn't lose HP at high rpm, but they didn't gain over the big cams at high rpm, correct? I'm sure the bigger cammed setups most likely are making more power on average from 5500-7000 wouldn't you agree?
Old 02-07-2005, 05:39 AM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Originally Posted by JF WS6
I agree with your comments, but mostly in regards to a street car type set up that is nearly full weight. I guess it depends on what you consider "very light" as well. There are a few board members who have 10 second cam only cars with the TREX that are 3400 lbs. or so that got faster with the bigger cam. The lighter the car, the better the gains of course, but that could be said with any car. The lighter it is, the faster it will be.

I'm sure most of the cams you've tested didn't lose HP at high rpm, but they didn't gain over the big cams at high rpm, correct? I'm sure the bigger cammed setups most likely are making more power on average from 5500-7000 wouldn't you agree?
That could be a yes/no answer.We haven't had any good results with the T-rex on Cam only cars.I think the highest HP was 410 or so with all the bolt-on's and the car only traped 117mph,then trapped 119mph with a much smaller Cam. 4.11 gears/3500lbs.I will get the better answers in the spring when the track is open since the cars have to be tuned different for the track and that will show better info about the Cams
Old 02-07-2005, 07:47 AM
Launching!

This is good info.
I am on the fence deciding whether or not to add AFR's (unmilled) to my G5X-2 cammed C5. The split is similar to what you have stated here if I remember the numbers correctly. (232-240 ??)

Looking forward to your results.