Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

ARP head bolt broke off inside the block!!

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-2005, 08:58 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ARP head bolt broke off inside the block!!

ARP head bolt broke off inside the block!! it's on the bottom row, 2nd from the front. Its recessed about 3 in. in the block. Can't even see down in the hole to see if your going to drill centered and straight. I have a guy comming to look at it to bring a retracter rod and mabey weld inside the hole, like creating another head bolt then mabey twist it back out.

I know the bolt pattern and torque specs were done right. Do u think ARP wil do anything about this??? They are arp bolts...
Old 02-06-2005, 09:42 PM
TECH Apprentice

I know that had to suck. Were you using a quality torque wrench, not some cheap $20 tools-4-less one? I would try to get arp to give you something for your loss.
Old 02-06-2005, 11:29 PM
TECH Fanatic

Aren't you the guy who had a lifter fall during a cam swap?
Old 02-07-2005, 12:49 AM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by MakoLS1

ARP head bolt broke off inside the block!! it's on the bottom row, 2nd from the front. Its recessed about 3 in. in the block. Can't even see down in the hole to see if your going to drill centered and straight. I have a guy comming to look at it to bring a retracter rod and mabey weld inside the hole, like creating another head bolt then mabey twist it back out.

I know the bolt pattern and torque specs were done right. Do u think ARP wil do anything about this??? They are arp bolts...

HA!, serves u right for lying to me and telling me u were running stock heads/cam....
Old 02-07-2005, 08:59 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

heh, ok trey, even though i dont like you because you're a lier, i'll help ya anyway.

get a Ti drillbit.. a GOOD name brand one.. if you're paying less then $12 for it, and its for anything besides metal, you're not looking at them... it'll be a gold color.

get one that JUST BEARLY fits into the hole of the head.. yes the head.
if you can barrow a IRON head, its better, but your alum one will work.

pull the motor mount on that side.. pull the trans mount bolt(s). leave the crossmember on.
lift the engine with a engine hoist so the block tilts... you need enough room to drill straight into the hole.

take electrical tape and put ONE wrap around the drillbit.. everywhere except the last inch or so.. you could also put heatshrink on it... its just so the sides of the bit arnt sharp.

place the head on the block..
using the head as a guide, drill the bolt. you're not trying to drill it out, just make it so it has a lowered point in the exact center...

once thats drilled, take a REVERSE drill bit, and you should be able to EASILY drill the center out... it will be in the center, and the bolt will probly back out easily. if not, then (and ONLY then), after drilling thru it, take a easy out, and back it out... DONT put alot of TQ on the easy out.

then check your threads, check your block for cracks..... id bet money that you got water or oil in the headbolt pocket, TQed them, and the loose bolt (from the false TQ reading) broke.
Old 02-07-2005, 10:58 AM
TT-TECH Veteran

Look I had a piece of steel made to fit perfectly in the hole with a pilot hole in the center to guide the drill bit as much to the center as possible. I then used an easy out with a 1/4" extention attached to a socket that fit it and then backed it out didn't take long just a little scary knowing the drill wit go throught the softest material first if it goes off to one side that is why I used the guide drilled down about 3/4 of an inch and used the easyout. Good luck.
Old 02-08-2005, 05:16 PM
TECH Apprentice

ok, a titaninum drill bit didnt work, mrdude what is a Ti drill bit?
Old 02-08-2005, 05:50 PM
Staging Lane

I would try to get arp to give you something for your loss.
Why would arp give anyone anything when they have no idea if the person installing has any clue on what there doing? Not saying the dude doesnt, but come on its a broke bolt. I had a customer that came to me with a 302 block that had the front corner cracked from someone installing arp head studs that were double nutted and torqued into the block. The shoulder was buried into the block causing it to crack. [They were installed wrong, so should they buy this customer a new block?] Bottom line arp is not gonna do anything.
Old 02-08-2005, 06:43 PM
TECH Apprentice

Here is the deal with arp, i wasent to happy with customer service. when i called blame was already shifted to me before anythign was even explained. I wont buy another arp product. Anyway, I torqued them to stock specs not arp specs. I wasent aware they needed to be torqued differently, one of the reasons is becaus i didnt get any instructions to torque them differently in the box they came in so i didnt even think about it. so i reasonably assumed it was to stock specs.

The only lesson i leanred is that ARP head bolts arent less likely to break then the the stock ones if they cant be tightend as much. they just dont flex/stretch as much as the stock ones so you can use them more then once. Instead of stretching, they 'break'. And for the price you pay for ARP head bolts, you can buy 4 sets of stock bolts. arp bolts are only good for 2-5 times you pull your heads off anyway.
Old 02-09-2005, 08:18 AM
TECH Junkie

Here is the deal with arp, i wasent to happy with customer service. when i called blame was already shifted to me before anythign was even explained. I wont buy another arp product. Anyway, I torqued them to stock specs not arp specs. I wasent aware they needed to be torqued differently, one of the reasons is becaus i didnt get any instructions to torque them differently in the box they came in so i didnt even think about it. so i reasonably assumed it was to stock specs.

The only lesson i leanred is that ARP head bolts arent less likely to break then the the stock ones if they cant be tightend as much. they just dont flex/stretch as much as the stock ones so you can use them more then once. Instead of stretching, they 'break'. And for the price you pay for ARP head bolts, you can buy 4 sets of stock bolts. arp bolts are only good for 2-5 times you pull your heads off anyway.

if you installed them right, they're stronger... and reusable.

but its not like you needed them anyway.. GM bolts would have worked just fine for you.

anyhoo, i answered you on the local board.
and dont expect anything from ARP... it was your screwup, not theirs.
Old 02-09-2005, 10:49 AM
TECH Addict

Anyway, I torqued them to stock specs not arp specs. I wasent aware they needed to be torqued differently, one of the reasons is becaus i didnt get any instructions to torque them differently in the box they came in so i didnt even think about it. so i reasonably assumed it was to stock specs.

I was waiting to see where you stated that you used the wrong torque procedure. The only way you could break an ARP head bolt is to torque it to the stock yield which is much, much, much (are you getting this?) much higher than the 65-75ft-lbs you should have used.
Old 02-09-2005, 01:26 PM
Staging Lane

I was waiting to see where you stated that you used the wrong torque procedure. The only way you could break an ARP head bolt is to torque it to the stock yield which is much, much, much (are you getting this?) much higher than the 65-75ft-lbs you should have used.
Agreed. Ya hit the nail on the head!
Old 02-09-2005, 01:40 PM
Launching!

so i reasonably assumed it was to stock specs.
Reasonably? I think not. Did you not know you were installing a totally different product and material than the stock piece? These are offered as alternatives, not as replacements.
Old 02-09-2005, 01:53 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ARP is the ****! You obviously didn't know what you were doing. They really don't have to be tight at all.
Old 02-09-2005, 02:09 PM
jrp
SN95 Director

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

when in doubt ASK or SEARCH, dont assume. i dont know of any ARP products that are tq'd to OEM spec's. My ARP studs came with instructions and Moly Lube. They were well worth the cost when i had to pull my heads last week.

there's no one to blame but yourself.
Old 02-09-2005, 03:17 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by jrp
when in doubt ASK or SEARCH, dont assume. i dont know of any ARP products that are tq'd to OEM spec's. My ARP studs came with instructions and Moly Lube. They were well worth the cost when i had to pull my heads last week.

there's no one to blame but yourself.
Mine came without torque specs in the box. They were on the box.
Old 02-09-2005, 03:49 PM
On The Tree

Default torque spec?

Anyone care to post the torque specs for ARP head bolts? I got mine second hand and don't have them...you'll save me looking for them, thanks!
Old 02-09-2005, 04:50 PM
TECH Regular

JRP we are waiting for your numbers man...

"Anyone care to post the torque specs for ARP head bolts? I got mine second hand and don't have them...you'll save me looking for them, thanks!"

TTT for the last question
(just for JRP)

hehe
Old 02-09-2005, 04:53 PM
jrp
SN95 Director

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

heads studs are torqued different the the head bolts. there was a thread not to long ago with the head bolt threads specs in it. the search feature is being a but i'll look for it later if you guys cant find it by then.
Old 02-09-2005, 04:58 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by frodo84
Anyone care to post the torque specs for ARP head bolts? I got mine second hand and don't have them...you'll save me looking for them, thanks!

DOH! I found them, here is what I have:

11mm head bolts-70 ft/lbs w/ARP lube. 85 ft/lbs w/30w oil.
8mm head bolts--23 ft/lbs w/ARP lube. 29 ft/lbs w/30w oil.

And...for the ARP crank bolt

16mm-196 ft/lbs w/ARP lube

Quick Reply: ARP head bolt broke off inside the block!!