Gears & Axles Driveshafts | Rearends | Differentials | Gears | 12 Bolt | 9 Inch | Dana

WTF??? Moser torque arms bolts loose???

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-2005, 06:55 AM
11 Second Club

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Default WTF??? Moser torque arms bolts loose???

Installed a Moser 12 bolt a couple weeks ago. Went through the break-in, etc. When I changed the fluid after 500 miles, I noticed that the torque arm bolts on top walked themselves out So I just figured that I didnt tighten them down all the way. So I get under the car again on Saturday, because I heard some noise coming from back there, and they were loose again I tightened them down as hard as I could......but why does this keep happening??? I am not getting any vibration at all. I did go with a chromoly drive shaft, and it rides smooth and pulls hard. Should I have put some lock tight on the bolts??? Anyone else had this problem??? Any input is greatly appreciated. Thanks..

rob
Old 02-07-2005, 07:09 AM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

put some locktight on them and crank them down good...i had mine lossen up before till i did that

JR
Old 02-07-2005, 07:38 AM
10 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

common prob with the crappy 4 point mount design that moser came up with on the 12 bolt.....i had my top ones come loose i didnt know it and popped 2nd gear one day and ripped the mount off of the rear housing, i had to get a new mount, driveshaft and run a tap through the holes on the rear, anyways i used the buff stuff, green loctite and tightened the mother bitch outta it and hasnt come loose since, i still check them everytime im under the car just for the hell of it
Old 02-07-2005, 08:27 PM
11 Second Club

Red locktite and around 70 pds. ft. torque.
Old 02-08-2005, 10:35 AM
11 Second Club

Thanks for the help....but the next question is, how in the hell do you get a torque wrench in there????? I will hit it up with some lock tight......
Old 02-08-2005, 02:45 PM
10 Second Club

You don't need a torque wrench. Just loctite the bolts with red loctite and tighten the dog poop out of them. If possible let the loctited bolts "dry" for a few hours or even over night and they won't come lose anymore.
The green loctite is very strong but you have to heat it with mapp gas or something to break it loose.
Old 02-08-2005, 08:50 PM
TECH Resident

Bolts that are covered in grime like gear oil will not allow locktite to set up right I have heard of this problem before I cant remember if the nuts being used are plain non locking or a crimp or nylock style I would say a flanged crimp nut with red locktite would be good. All the vibration and heat produced is bound to loosen up something if you wana get crazy a little saftey wire will fix anything
Old 02-08-2005, 09:26 PM
TECH Veteran

Make sure the bolts are nice and dry, then like was suggested above, red loctite 'em and crank the snot out of 'em until they're nice and tight.

Mine have never come loose... I check them periodically and they're still tight as can be.

It's just a bitch to get them back out of there when you want to remove the torque arm...
Old 02-09-2005, 08:33 AM
10 Second Club

Yup...brake cleaner and an air hose oughtta clean all the goo off. CTS.. he has a Moser 12 bolt. It attatches w/ 4 bolts that screw directly into the axle housing. No nuts involved on this one. My bolts have not come loose in a couple years via this method. Now the two lock nuts on the adjustable part of the TA..that's a different story. They will come loose also if you don't loctite them and tighten with extreme torque.
Old 02-09-2005, 06:06 PM
11 Second Club

Thanks for all the help guys. I put some red lock tight on there last night.....and will check them out tomorrow to see if they are loose again....but I tightened the snot out of them So hopefully that fixed the problem......now I have to replace the shitty shock in the back making all that noise.....