Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

LS1 assembly, advice/suggestions

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-2005, 07:39 AM
Launching!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default LS1 assembly, advice/suggestions

I am just about ready to rebuild my 2000 model LS1 for my 69 Camaro project. I had picked this motor up on the cheap because it had been run without oil (nice hole in the pan), but it would still turn over fine.

Tore it down and found #2 & #3 mains were burned, but they had not spun, so the block looked great. All the rods and other items were perfect.

I have these parts coming, and or I am picking them up this week:

1. SLP Stage III head and cam package http://www.slponline.com/view_product.asp?P=12411

2. SLP installation kit http://www.slponline.com/view_product.asp?P=12504

3. Blue printed oil pump

4. SLP matched push rods

5. LS6 intake

6. Roll Master chain

7. Stock crank kit

8. Stock bore ring set

I read a great article in the Feb 05 Popular Hot Rodding mag that detailed the head swap procedure with torque specs and procedures.

***What I need input on is the bottom end***

Can I reuse the rod/main bolts? What is the torque sequence/specs, tricks of the trade to look for there? Any pitfalls to avoid? Etc. etc.

Same thing on the rings. Anything strange or unusual about installing these?

So far I am VERY impressed with the construction of this engine. The six bolt main caps are WAY cool! Everything is open and easy to get to.

TIA,

Chris
Old 02-11-2005, 12:48 PM
Launching!

This is the weekend.

I have all the parts needed.

I printed off the procedures for torque, etc. from the local dealer. I am going to use a techs torque to yield meter for my 1/2" drive.

Any other tips or tricks you have would be great!
Old 02-11-2005, 01:02 PM
jrp
SN95 Director

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

any TTY bolt can not be re-used. since your doing a rebuild i'd upgrade to ARP rod bolts and main studs.

just make sure you have all the right tools and double check all clearances. is this your first ls1 build up?
Old 02-11-2005, 04:45 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by jrp
any TTY bolt can not be re-used. since your doing a rebuild i'd upgrade to ARP rod bolts and main studs.

just make sure you have all the right tools and double check all clearances. is this your first ls1 build up?

Thanks for the info, and YES, this is my first Gen III build.
Old 02-14-2005, 10:27 AM
Launching!

Long block mostly assembled this weekend. Let me share my thoughts.

It is going to take some time to get a handle on these TTY bolts. I printed and followed the actual GM specs for the insall from the pistons, crank, cam, heads, rockers, timing chain, and balancer.

I just don't have a good feel yet for the TTY, mostly because I have always been in the habit of going back one last time with the torque wrench and double checking my work. With the TTY there is no way to just go back and check to make sure they are all at the correct point (other than putting the sharpie mark on the head of each bolt and see where I turned them).

The only problem I ran into was the rear main seal. YIKES! I didn't realize it required a specific tool to strecth the seal over. As a result I messed with it for about an hour and just gave up. Did some research and found I need the J41479 to do it right. Called Chevy today and ordered a new rear seal.

All and all I am very excited and nervous. It will be several months before I can fire it off as I am deep in the other issues on the 69 camaro it is going in.
We also built the 4l60E trans this weekend, so I have been VERY busy.
Old 02-14-2005, 12:01 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I ended up using ARP main studs. The TTY bolts are supposed to only be used once. So for example, you install your crank and you are going to use Plastigauge to measure clearances. You install the TTY bolts and have to remove them to look at the Plastigauge results. Can you use them again since they have already been stretched? To me it just easier to buy the reusable ARP bolts.
Old 02-14-2005, 03:23 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by Steve H.
I ended up using ARP main studs. The TTY bolts are supposed to only be used once. So for example, you install your crank and you are going to use Plastigauge to measure clearances. You install the TTY bolts and have to remove them to look at the Plastigauge results. Can you use them again since they have already been stretched? To me it just easier to buy the reusable ARP bolts.

I hear what you are saying. Except what is interesting is I could not find in the GM assembly manual any specific info calling for non-reuse of the crank/rod bolts. It is specific about the heads, crank, and side main bolts that have sealant on the threads for replacment.