Drag Racing Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Metallic popping noise after Moser 12 bolt install?!?

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-2005, 09:29 AM
10 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Metallic popping noise after Moser 12 bolt install?!?

Had a Moser 12 bolt installed last week and now every time I go over a bump it sounds like a rock clunking around in a hollow tin can. I also had the BMR rear anti-roll bar installed as well as the stock battery relocated to the rear. At first I thought the battery box was loose but I'm almost positive it is coming from the rear end or the rear suspension. I think I remember reading somewhere that the pan hard rod or the rear anti-roll bar can sometimes pop when hitting bumps in the road. Any truth to this?
Old 02-07-2005, 03:33 PM
On The Tree

what kinda torque arm are you running? Might have somthing to do w/ it?
I'd be curious to know as well, I'm in the market for a rear.

ttt
Old 02-07-2005, 03:54 PM
I ruin the end of films...

It's probably the rear bar. You'll make some noise going over uneven surfaces or bumps with it.
Old 02-07-2005, 04:13 PM
10 Second Club

How much noise? This is pretty noticeable. It sounds like what a busted rear sounds like, metal rattling around inside the housing. The rear is brand new though and it only happens when I go over bumps. I have a complete BMR suspension and six point so the car picks up every little imperfection in the road.

The rear anti-roll bar is the only new addition to my suspension. I've had the x-treme torque arm for a year and half with no problems.
Old 02-07-2005, 06:59 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

my truck does that also, no idea what its from but im assumin 233,000miles of abuse have somethin to do with it. come to think of it, my car mad that noise sometimes also going over like potholes, i have no clue what it is but it aint broke yet and that was over a year of racing ago.
Old 02-08-2005, 06:26 AM
9 Second Club

I hate my Moser. So much noise I can't even hear myself think half the time.
The noise is more of an unbearable whine, no clunking or anything. My Stealth torque arm clangs and rattles over bumps but that's to be expected.
Old 02-08-2005, 12:30 PM
I ruin the end of films...

Your rear end isn't setup right then. Mine whines, but not that bad.

Hard to explain Derrick. I'd have to hear it myself to tell ya.
Old 02-08-2005, 12:41 PM
10 Second Club

Right now the consensus is that it's my anti roll bar or the torque arm. Thanks Joe.
Old 02-08-2005, 01:30 PM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Make sure the bolts on the torque arm (where it attaches to the rear)
haven't come loose.It's happened to a bunch of people.
Old 02-08-2005, 01:35 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by 01-Z
Make sure the bolts on the torque arm (where it attaches to the rear)
haven't come loose.It's happened to a bunch of people.
Thanks for the heads up. I'll check tonight.
Old 02-08-2005, 01:56 PM
TECH Apprentice

My D/S was hitting the Tq arm ever so slightly. and you might want to check your Y-pipe. I have heard of them hitting in some cases. I have a Mosier 12 bolt that was set up by Mosier and it whines its A$$ off. I was told if it whines when you let off the throttle, then the back-lashing was good. If it whines while your on the throttle then it is not set up properly?
Old 02-22-2005, 08:57 PM
"All Motor 9 Second club member"

FWIW- The popping noiise is very likely from the Rodends on the adjustable links to the anti-roll bar. Mine is extremely loud as well. I'm having BMR check into a replacement poly bushing rodend as we speak. It's not deigned to be street type piece, but I'll get there with or without there help. I'll keep you posted.
Old 02-23-2005, 08:55 AM
10 Second Club

You are probably right. That is where the sound is coming from. Let me know what BMR does.
Old 02-23-2005, 10:50 AM
7 Second Club

i also have the Xtreme rear sway and the noise didnt start until i installed it... it only makes noise when on bumpy terrain... keep us informed of what you do
Old 03-01-2005, 09:47 PM

Ok, well here's the lastest. BMR said they are not designed for track use and poly bushings are not available or recommended as they would wear out quickly. There is also a strength integrity issue so they will not ever be available from BMR.

Brian (Madman) said that the end links HAVE to be lined up straight up and down (vertical) to prevent the popping noise.

I temporarily fixed the noise on mine and I'll share my secret, but you have to promise not to patent it. . I picked up a set of thin short ratchet strap tie downs and used a hole in the wheel well to secure the top and attached the lower hook to the anti roll bar end where the link connects. Then ratchet it tight with the rear on the ground in normal load position. My straps had rubber coated ends so that's a plus. Basically the straps hold tension up on the end links so when it unloads the bar slack isn't present to cause the popping noise. It's not exactly high tech, but it is effective. The wife drives the car everyday so that noise HAD to go. She gave the thumbs up that it worked after 2 days driving. Just thought I'd share my fix. Good luck!!
Old 03-04-2005, 07:11 PM

OK so I just can't leave well enough alone.LOL.

I remedied the the ungodly rear end link noise today without using the ghetto ratchet.

I needed to unloaded the rear so I would not get excessive spring load recovery on the launch from my extremely stiff BMR anti-roll bar. So instead of preloading the right rear I unloaded the left rear and set the almost at zero load, but actually just slightly unloaded. This eliminated the popping noise as it makes the noise only when the rear bar unloads. The weight transfer feels great and balanced , but I have not had an opportunity to track test it with the slicks. Either way it is possible to make the BMR Extreme Drag anti-roll bar quite and streetable.

Just thought I'd pass this little tid bit on to those having to deal with the horrible noise. I know it sure made me feel better. Good luck and post your results!