Gears & Axles Driveshafts | Rearends | Differentials | Gears | 12 Bolt | 9 Inch | Dana

A4 with 9" or 12 bolt? Daily driver.. need help!

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-2005, 08:13 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default A4 with 9" or 12 bolt? Daily driver.. need help!

Well i have been doing a lot of searching on the subject and it is overkilled quite a bit but....

Most people seem to say go with a 12 bolt on an A4.. but then i hear almost everyone complaining about how they make so much noise after a couple track runs, and that they can barely stand it.. if i plan on keeping my car as a daily driver and don't want to worry about noise after a couple hard launches with a Vig3200, skinnies, 15x8s with MT ET street drags, and QA1 shocks.. should i stick with a 9 inch? or will that just rape my A4 of power?

I absolutely do not want a rear end so loud that it drives me crazy! It would be worth it to me to loose 10RWHP from a 9" to keep the Whine away.. and possibly spend a little extra $$...

I Also may end up getting a dual stage nitrous kit and launch a 50 shot out of the hole if that makes a difference whether a 12 bolt would hold to that?

To sum it up I just want something that will last a long time with no troubles, support around 500 RWHP (with nitrous), stand a good hook with MT tires and QA1 suspension, and make minimal noise for my daily driver..

If anyone can find a set up right for me for a good price i would appreciate it a lot.. like i said i've done tons of searching on it.. and just can't figure out what to do for the life of me! THANKS!
Old 02-07-2005, 10:17 PM
TECH Fanatic

anyone?
Old 02-07-2005, 10:46 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Buy a 12 bolt. They are plenty strong enough, and like you said they don't take as much power to spin. There is a guy here that is running a 12 bolt with a 6 spd and his car is pointed at the clouds off the line, and also sees some street miles up by KC, MO. It runs 10.50's and seems to be very reliable. But if you are making 500 rwhp, you are probably going to be making enough noise to cover up a tiny bit of whine anyways. Go with the 12 bolt.
Old 02-07-2005, 10:48 PM
Staging Lane

Also, if your gears are set up right, and the rear is built strong enough to handle what you are throwing at it, it should just start making noise after a few hard launches. That would be a course for concern.
Old 02-08-2005, 08:53 AM
TECH Fanatic

so is it a guarantee that after a few hard launches on the 12 bolt that it will start to whine pretty bad? Is strange known to whine a lot? i heard a lot of Moser's whine real bad.. and what gear set up would be the best for my A4? 3.73's? thanks for the reply lifted99!
Old 02-08-2005, 09:27 AM
TECH Enthusiast

When I got my MOSER 12-bolt it ROARED. I got a good shop to set up a new set of gears (Richmonds) and it almost went away. Slight whine. 3.73's are notorious for being hard to get quiet.

Now I've got 10+ full launches on ET Streets with similar mods to yours and the sound has not changed.

The key is that Moser does not set up the gears right. If you get those done right you shouldn't have much problem.
Old 02-08-2005, 10:08 PM
TECH Fanatic

how much did it run you to get it set up right? you said you just switched your moser 3.73's to richmond 3.73's? or did you change the carrier, axles, etc? Thanks
Old 02-09-2005, 12:20 AM
TECH Apprentice

Does a 12-bolt have any kind of effect on daily driving? Will daily driving hurt a 12-bolt?
Old 02-09-2005, 09:08 AM
TECH Fanatic

not that i know of.. the only thing that really worries me is the whining of the 12 bolt if i drive it daily.. it would get annoying.. but i've never heard of anyone saying daily driving wears them out.. it definately puts wear on them.. but not like excessive wear..
Old 02-09-2005, 09:20 AM
Launching!

Running on the street daily will not hurt the 12 bolt at all. Spool, posi, or locker, it doesnt matter. I used to drive a moser 9" full spool to and from work everyday. only thing that got hurt were my tires. It ate thru them in a matter of a few months. A posi, in your 12 would be almost like driving on your 10-bolt, only beefier. The locker, wont hurt the rear either, but you will feel this locker, and know its in there if you drive a stick. the engage,/disengage of the lock will drive some people nuts. As far as gear whine is concerned, that can happen anywhere, 10-bolt,12-bolt,9",gm,moser,strange,curry, it doesnt matter, if the gears are set up correctly,(key word "correct") then you should not have a problem.(proper breakin considered).