Gears & Axles Driveshafts | Rearends | Differentials | Gears | 12 Bolt | 9 Inch | Dana

Adding rearend w/ no ABS option....still keep front ABS??

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-2005, 09:21 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Adding rearend w/ no ABS option....still keep front ABS??

What do I have to do to get rid of the ABS stuff in the rear and still keep decent braking. I see that is kinda important. Can I keep the front wheels still ABS and just loose the rear?

What will I have to do?
thanks
Old 02-07-2005, 09:32 PM
10 Second Club

Lightbulb

Even of ya could I don't think I would ever have ABS on just the front wheels, either all or none IMO. I know some trucks used to have just rear ABS back in the day but 'back ABS only' is different as are trucks that haul cargo and tow.
Old 02-07-2005, 11:28 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by csmonte
What do I have to do to get rid of the ABS stuff in the rear and still keep decent braking. I see that is kinda important. Can I keep the front wheels still ABS and just loose the rear?

What will I have to do?
thanks
use it or lose it. no inbetween. With rear disabled the front won't work. Imagine the back tires skidding and the fronts chirping with ABS? CRASH!!!
Old 02-09-2005, 12:53 AM
That's what she said...

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

billingsly racing sells an ABS delete block might want to check into that

no ABS wont be as bad as you think, if you think about it, ABS is a relativly new thing
Old 02-27-2005, 09:34 AM
Banned

If you don't want ABS, save yourself some money and just pull the fuse. Same effect. Only reason to get an ABS delete block is for the weight saving.
Old 03-02-2005, 06:48 PM
Teching In

There is a way now to make a 3 channel abs work with a 9 inch rear. as soon as I can find the post I will edit this on how to do it. It involves adding a excitor ring to the tranny yolk. I talked to a guy who has it & is making it work. when I get home I will send you the link I am gonna build it this week & make it work so when I add the 9 inch rear I can keep my abs. People say just get rid of it & its for bad woman drivers .... But they probably only race there car. I actually daily drive mine & it rains & there are some crappy drivers in FL so I want to be safe with abs. I will let you know asap....
Old 03-02-2005, 07:16 PM
TECH Enthusiast

IT's not bad at all...I did not have ABS for a while and even had a few panic stops...never had an issue.
Old 03-03-2005, 12:49 AM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by 01ssvert
There is a way now to make a 3 channel abs work with a 9 inch rear. as soon as I can find the post I will edit this on how to do it. It involves adding a excitor ring to the tranny yolk. I talked to a guy who has it & is making it work. when I get home I will send you the link I am gonna build it this week & make it work so when I add the 9 inch rear I can keep my abs. People say just get rid of it & its for bad woman drivers .... But they probably only race there car. I actually daily drive mine & it rains & there are some crappy drivers in FL so I want to be safe with abs. I will let you know asap....
I've seen this done also. Pic attached.
I wish someone would create a yoke mount 3 ch and 4 ch ABS sensor that plugs into our cars. Think of the rearend options that would open up to those of us that want the ABS to function!
If you make this...please think of making a few and keeping it cost effective so we can buy some from you
Attached Thumbnails Adding rearend w/ no ABS option....still keep front ABS??-dcp03821a.jpg  
Old 03-03-2005, 12:56 AM
TECH Senior Member

Once you lose ABS anywhere you lose it every where. There is not half on half off. Its a all or nothing kind of deal.
Old 03-03-2005, 03:52 PM
Banned

The ABS unit has two main functions. First is ABS and the second is EBD(electronic brake distribution). If ABS is out, you may still have EBD. As long as you have EBD, it is just like driving a car without ABS with a mechanical proportioning valve. If EBD is out, hang on because it is like driving the same non-ABS car with no proportioning.
Old 03-03-2005, 05:25 PM
Teching In

I will show you as soon as I get it built & I was putting it on the tranny yolk not the pinion yolk but I will look at that option. 2muchrice is right if you either have abs or not .... if you see the ABS light it is 100% disabled
Old 03-07-2005, 01:59 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by chief455
I've seen this done also.
I wish someone would create a yoke mount 3 ch and 4 ch ABS sensor that plugs into our cars. Think of the rearend options that would open up to those of us that want the ABS to function!
If you make this...please think of making a few and keeping it cost effective so we can buy some from you
You mean like this? http://www.mustangmods.com/data/178...om_the_rear.jpg

http://www.mustangmods.com/data/1787/abs_setup.jpg

I built this myself and have had it on the car for close to 2 yrs now. No problems. I even intentionally test it when its slick out. I also plan to swap the setup over to my 9 inch when i build it this summer. I wouldn't mind making some and selling them. They would allow you to use any rear on a 3 channel car. The only thing is i built this for my car and it works great. Its actually what Craig at EC is selling for $250. I'm the one that showed him how to make them. I would hate to sell them and have a bunch of bad feedback though because people can't get them to work properly though. Claude
Old 03-10-2005, 12:45 PM
Banned

What size gear do you have to use for this? I take it it is not the standard reluctor ring from your 10 bolt center section is it? Are you just trying to duplicate the spacing of the teeth with the new gear?

Thanks,
CMC