Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

My T-ReX was cam doctored, does that necessarily mean that I dont have 2 degree it in

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-2005, 10:59 PM
9 Second Club NA

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default My T-ReX was cam doctored, does that necessarily mean that I dont have 2 degree it in

Well Im in the middle of doing the swap to the T-ReX and I was wondering if I needed to degree it in. I think I might be confused as to what cam doctoring a cam ensures. As I see it, it verifies if a cam has been ground properly and to the exact specs. I know cams arent ground to the exact specs as advertised, but when cam doctoring, from what Ive been told, they have to fall in a certain range/spec, otherwised they arent put on the shelf for sale. Well I have a new oil pump, new timing gears and chain (Rollmaster double roller heat treated timing set), cam, dual spring kit, etc. I figured since the cam was cam doctored and everything is new, I should just line it up dot to dot and be done with it. What do you think?
Old 02-07-2005, 11:51 PM
9 Second Club NA

My cam's specs were: 242.8/249.1 .608/.613 109.3. I have completely stock heads that have never been removed. Im installing a new Patriot Gold dual spring kit, Thunder Racing ported/blue printed oil pump, and a Rollmaster heat treated double roller timing set. Do I need to take the time and degree it in? I figured everything was new and the cam has been doctored, to just install it.
Old 02-08-2005, 12:08 AM
9 Second Club NA

Also, this cam is to be installed straight up, there is no room for advancing or retarding. If its meant to be installed straight up, wouldnt I be ok to just line up the dots and be done with it? Sorry, just trying to pass on as much info as I know and be clear as to what I have on my hands.
Old 02-08-2005, 12:14 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I understand what you are trying to say, and it is a good question. Usaully the reason you degree a cam is to make sure it was ground properlly. If you are pleased with the specs, it seems as if you should be able to line it up and go. Only thing is, is that degreeing it will put it in time with your motor and the specs might be a degree or 2 diffrent. I don't think you would have any problems lineing it up a rollin out myself.
Old 02-08-2005, 03:47 AM
I can shift faster than you.

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The Cam Pro Plus does not measure intake centerline, which is what you will be measuring when you degree the camshaft in the motor. It is ALWAYS good practice to degree every camshaft as tolerances can take up against you quick, especially with a cam of the TREX's stature where intake centerline is vital to ensuring sufficient PtV. Degreeing the cam eliminates all the variables.

Jason
Old 02-09-2005, 02:56 AM
I can shift faster than you.

Were you and your dad able to get the cam degreed in today? I hope all went well.

Jason
Old 02-09-2005, 04:57 PM
9 Second Club NA

No, we just quit right now. We've been at it all day. Spent several hours on it yesterday and several today. Something just doesnt add up. I tempted to say the hell with it and install it dot to dot.
Old 02-09-2005, 10:31 PM
TECH Junkie

You NEED to degree any cam you install. It's a very simple process. I'm supprised you're having this much trouble with it. What part are you stuck at?
Old 02-09-2005, 11:01 PM
9 Second Club NA

Well the dial indicator we have doesnt have enough travel to do any of the methods of finding the centerline of the camshaft. It only has roughly 215 thousandths travel. So I can take the measurement at .050", but when it says to continue rotating passing max lift, approaching the downside of the lobe, the indicator will bottom out before it hits max lift. So theres no way I can take the 2nd measurement. I cant accurately do it unless I have the correct dial indicator. The wheel is meant for degreeing cams, but its not a huge pro wheel or anything.