Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

question about temp inside header primaries???

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-2005, 02:44 PM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default question about temp inside header primaries???

well, ive been tryin to trace this engine shake im getting every couple seconds with no luck so far. ive changed plugs and wires, as well as o2 sensors. anyway, we looked at the heat of all the header tubes just as they come off the head, and they were all the same except for the front drivers side cylinder. i believe it was hotter than the rest. i may be mistaken, it might have been cooler, but im pretty sure it was hotter. in any event, what would this mean if it was hotter or cooler than the rest?
Old 02-08-2005, 03:23 PM
TECH Addict

One thought would be the exhaust valve is hanging open. But it sounds like this problem you descibed is at idle which is usually not the case for a hanging chad.

You may also be chasing a ghost. How are the injectors?
Old 02-08-2005, 03:40 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by technical
One thought would be the exhaust valve is hanging open. But it sounds like this problem you descibed is at idle which is usually not the case for a hanging chad.

You may also be chasing a ghost. How are the injectors?

Leaner would be hotter Correct? And Vice Versa. So he's right that it could be an injector. Do you have ATAP or at least a preditor to scan real time with?
Old 02-08-2005, 06:28 PM
TECH Addict

i will be scanning it soon when i do my h/c swap. by the way, it doesnt only shake at idle. in fact, u can see looking under the hood, when i bring the rpms up, u can still see a shake, its just more noticeably at idle.
Old 02-09-2005, 08:11 PM
TECH Regular

Header temp will vary. All you can do is note what the temp is and if you think you have a problem in the future compare temps to first reading. The one cylinder reading higher/lower more than likely means nothing.

As stated above, a cammed engine will shake pretty good at idle. More than likely your problem. Seems like I have been saying it a lot lately, but poly engine mounts will keep the engine very still, at some minor expense - vibration of the whole car at idle. Not a big deal, I kind of like feeling my car idle, on the road I can not tell any difference.
Old 02-09-2005, 10:08 PM
TECH Addict

well, the engine has been shaking since my header install, which was way before the cam. and it doesnt only shake at idle, u can see a slight shake even when rpms are up.