Gears & Axles Driveshafts | Rearends | Differentials | Gears | 12 Bolt | 9 Inch | Dana

U-Joints

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-2005, 10:50 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default U-Joints

So far I have read about every way to make power, make it stick, how to tune it, and how to make it pretty. But I have not yet seen a thread about these little peices called U-Joints. It seems to me that if you have a high power car you would want to have the best stuff in the rear-end but there is never any mention of the U-joints. If anyone here can cover this info, please post up.

1. which ones to use
2. any differences in material
3. at what power level do you upgrade
4. custom yokes to support larger joints

I personally have never broken one but I am sure some of you have. Tell us about your experience!
Old 02-11-2005, 03:59 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm about to replace mine next week. I would like to know if there is any better ones out there.
Old 02-12-2005, 02:39 AM
That's what she said...

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

the stock u-joint holds up fine, for a damn good while. it is normally referred to as a "1310" u-joint when it is infact a bit larger than a 1310. when a new rearend is purchased, you can buy it with the 1350 u-joint which is a big slightly bigger and better piece. the 1350 yolk has endcap retainers built into it, so the u-joint doesnt require any clips to hold it in place. there are conversion ("marriage") u-joints (ex: factory "1310" to 1350 ) you can put this in a stock driveshaft and bolt the 1350 side up to the rear end. with this out of the way, when you upgrade the driveshaft, you already have a 1350 yolk on the rear, and you can have a full on 1350 u-joint.

conversion u-joint is napa part number 447, i know it sounds like a short number, but they can crossreference it if they have a newer system.

a u-joint is a u-joint, there are many things that will break before it does if it is not damaged somehow (especially a 1350). the stock u-joint is ALMOST the same size as the 1350. i thought it would be visably different, but it is not. you can put a stock size one in there and swear that they gyped you out of a 1350 yolk. alot of people drive around with the stock u-joint in a 1350 yolk untill they get around to replacing it.

i have a stock to 1350 "marriage" u-joint in my driveshaft on my moser 12 bolt w/ 1350 yolk, i just put it in today