Gears & Axles Driveshafts | Rearends | Differentials | Gears | 12 Bolt | 9 Inch | Dana

12 bolt/9 inch

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-2005, 06:14 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default 12 bolt/9 inch

OK, I will be upgrading my rear soon. I have read numerous posts and searched endlessly. Unfortunately I still have doubt about which one to go with. Details first, 02 WS6 currently about 380 rwhp/tq, I plan on a H/C package later to put me in the 425 rwhp range, car is 3 channel(no TCS), I drag race occasionally and AutoX a few times a year, the car is also my daily driver and a 6 speed. My main priority is cornering performance/reliability. I've read that 12 bolts have problems with bearings not withstanding sideloads, but I see that there is a fix for that using roller bearing vice ball bearings. I know the 9 inch has no provision for ABS, but I'm positive that I can remedy this w/ a custom setup on the driveshaft. I'm still not sure about which posi(no lockers) would be the best choice for either and I'm on a limited budget of about $2600. What I'd like from you guys is your opinion on which rear is better for my situation, any input is appreciated.

Thanks,

Howell
Old 02-11-2005, 06:26 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If you were an auto I would say go 12 bolt, but since you are M6 9" is probably your best bet since you drag race occasionally. Check out the TracTech differential, it's an interesting posi. You can't go locker because of auto xing. Tapered roller bearing in the axles are a NC option. You will give up a little hp with the 9", but have peace of mind.