Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Mahle pistons

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-2005, 07:55 AM
10 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Mahle pistons

I hauled the block, crank, new H beam rods, and new Mahle pistons off to the machinist. After checking it out, he complained that the pistons were unmatched by a total of 5 grams. This surprised me as the Mahle pistons were touted as one of the best. OTOH, I have been out of the game so long that I don't remember how significant 5 grams is. Comments?
Old 02-12-2005, 08:38 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts

Well, the LS1 is internally balanced after shortblock moc assembly. So unequal piston weight can have negative effects on that and harmonics.
Old 02-12-2005, 11:28 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by critter
I hauled the block, crank, new H beam rods, and new Mahle pistons off to the machinist. After checking it out, he complained that the pistons were unmatched by a total of 5 grams. This surprised me as the Mahle pistons were touted as one of the best. OTOH, I have been out of the game so long that I don't remember how significant 5 grams is. Comments?
i thought Mahle was the OEM supplier for the ls1 pistons?5 grams does seem like a lot,but i'm not an expert.who's doing your machine work?anybody around town here?
Old 02-12-2005, 06:44 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by 66deuce
i thought Mahle was the OEM supplier for the ls1 pistons?5 grams does seem like a lot,but i'm not an expert.who's doing your machine work?anybody around town here?
Yeah, I don't know whether 5 grams is significant or not. He will equalize everyting, of course. I sort of remember wanting to get everything with 1 gram, but my memory is dim. Mainly I was surprised at that much spread on a quality piston.

C&P in Fort Wayne is doing the work. I looked around and they seemed to be the most clueful of the places I talked to. One place said "what is a honing plate?"
Old 02-12-2005, 06:45 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by PREDATOR-Z
Well, the LS1 is internally balanced after shortblock moc assembly. So unequal piston weight can have negative effects on that and harmonics.
The machinist will equalize everything. I just wondered why he thought 5 grams was a large spread for a quality piston.
Old 02-13-2005, 01:27 AM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 123 Likes on 36 Posts

Default 5 grams

Five grams is a bit much to machine off the heavy pistons to get them to the weight of the lightest one. There is not a lot of "extra" material to machine. I would send the pistons back and get another set.

Steve

760-630-0450
web: www.raceenginedevelopment.com/
e-mail: race-engine-development@***.net
Old 02-13-2005, 08:41 AM
TECH Fanatic

One place said "what is a honing plate?"
Old 02-13-2005, 09:07 AM
Staging Lane

I agree 5 grams is high but arent Mahle pistons inexpensive? I would weigh pins and weight match them to pistons alleviating weight mis match as much as possible, than i would lighten heavy pistons as much as safely possible.
If still off you can lighten pins by grinding inside pin and re polish grind marks to finilize weight match.
Old 02-13-2005, 11:46 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts

This is why the cost of a set of matched pistons outweight the cost involved in balancing an unneven set.
Old 02-13-2005, 07:40 PM
Staging Lane

Default Mahle

I just sent my rotating assembly to have it balanced. A new set of Mahle pistons,pins and rings were included with the crank, rods and harmonic balancer. The pistons, pins and rings were within 1 gram + or minus for each cylinder. The weight of a stock GM PISTON is 434 grams. The weight of a Forged Mahle piston is 382 grams. That is a weight savings of almost 15 ozs. of rotating mass in 8 pistons. This is the same manufacture for the LS1-LS6-LS7-AND THE C5R. If it is good enough for them, it should be good enough for me. It is not always the price but the quality. This time the price is in favor of the customer.
JIM
Old 02-13-2005, 08:53 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by LSonederfull
I agree 5 grams is high but arent Mahle pistons inexpensive? I would weigh pins and weight match them to pistons alleviating weight mis match as much as possible, than i would lighten heavy pistons as much as safely possible.
If still off you can lighten pins by grinding inside pin and re polish grind marks to finilize weight match.
That is what he did - mix and match parts to get as close as possbile before any cutting.
Old 02-13-2005, 08:57 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by c5jim
I just sent my rotating assembly to have it balanced. A new set of Mahle pistons,pins and rings were included with the crank, rods and harmonic balancer. The pistons, pins and rings were within 1 gram + or minus for each cylinder. The weight of a stock GM PISTON is 434 grams. The weight of a Forged Mahle piston is 382 grams. That is a weight savings of almost 15 ozs. of rotating mass in 8 pistons. This is the same manufacture for the LS1-LS6-LS7-AND THE C5R. If it is good enough for them, it should be good enough for me. It is not always the price but the quality. This time the price is in favor of the customer.
JIM
Susrprised that yours are so much closer than mine ....
Old 02-13-2005, 09:11 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

[QUOTE=c5jim]I just sent my rotating assembly to have it balanced. A new set of Mahle pistons,pins and rings were included with the crank, rods and harmonic balancer. The pistons, pins and rings were within 1 gram + or minus for each cylinder. The weight of a stock GM PISTON is 434 grams. The weight of a Forged Mahle piston is 382 grams. That is a weight savings of almost 15 ozs. of rotating mass in 8 pistons. This is the same manufacture for the LS1-LS6-LS7-AND THE C5R. If it is good enough for them, it should be good enough for me. It is not always the price but the quality. This time the price is in favor of the customer.
JIM

I thik nk you did the rigth thing.Just send the complete anssambly to be balance!!!
Old 01-20-2006, 01:23 AM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by c5jim
JIM
the 4cc 3.905 piston thats built for a 6.125 rod weighs between 384.9 and 386.2 grams. the wrist pins all with EXACTLY the same

Quick Reply: Mahle pistons