Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

what gauges should i get?

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-2005, 11:52 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default what gauges should i get?

right now i have coolant temp gauge and air fuel gauge (wanted to make sure the o2's were doing alright with the headers and didnt stop oscillation on me) well now im goin to be doing heads and cam and wonder what if anything i need to get to monitor the motor and make sure everything is runnign ok. any ideas?
Old 02-13-2005, 12:14 PM
TECH Senior Member

ECT (engine coolant Temp) gauge definetly good

W/an auto Trans Temp gauge is good, but w/a manual not as important

Fuel Pressure gauge is handy

The AFR gauges are pretty but unfortuanetly that's about it heh (I had one for about 1.5 years, dumped it and replaced w/a Wideband O2 AFR Gauge so at least it's accurate)

If you're doing any road racing , Oil temperature is good

But... if you're concerned with constantly monitoring the car, definetly get some sort of logging software (preferably w/a tuning software built in like HP Tuners) ... the gauges are good to tell you if you have a problem right now for the things you're monitoring... but you're not always looking at the gauges... whereas w/some logging software you can go back later and see what's happening and try to figure out WHY it's happening
Old 02-13-2005, 05:26 PM
TECH Senior Member

yeha i have hp tuners already, i jsut didnt knw if i should get a new gauge or if it wasnt a big deal,i have the pod already set up and didnt nkow if i should monitor anything else. but i guess im alright with what i have and that i can log it
Old 02-13-2005, 05:45 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Im not really sure what your doing(road course, drag, daily driver). But really there isnt a need for any new gauges. Unless your running boost or nitrous, none of them are a must. About the only ones you probably need are to get the stock OEM rpm, speedo, and the rest of those gauges changed to 200mph gauges. Fast Toys has that on sale, but you have to pull and send the whole unit away for calibration. Other than that though, not really necessary, i would say though if your getting a big cam to get a fuel pressure gauge atleast, but still not very necessary on a H/C car. And i would look into just getting the codes in your computer for the o2's deleted.
Old 02-13-2005, 05:56 PM
TECH Senior Member

i have hp tuners all that code stuff is taken care of. i have silver face gauges with ws6 on it, so im not gonna get those changed. its gonna be a drag/daily driver. like you siad i prob dont need anything else but i didnt know if doing that i needed to keep an eye on anything. thanks
Old 02-13-2005, 06:06 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yeah, just as long as you dont get them like the ricers do. But if your gonna do nitrous on top of theis other stuff, which you can do a safe 100 shot. Then you will need a fuel pressure gauge and a nitrous pressure gauge. So you can make sure both are going in at the sametime. Well good luck with whatever you do. And hey another good idea for you mgiht be to put those gauges in your A/C and heating ducts in the middle of your dash. Looks nice like that.
Old 02-13-2005, 08:09 PM
TECH Senior Member

yeah, if i take the heating out i will, ac is gone now but i wanna keep the heat lol thanks