Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Thermostat & Fan Settings for TX Weather

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-2005, 02:41 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Thermostat & Fan Settings for TX Weather

As spring is approaching and it's already warming up here in TX, I want to get and keep my car running as cool and effeciently as possible. I have been doing as much searching and reading as I can but I still have a few questions.

I notice that anyone that has done a 160 T-stat has either had their fan settings changed or had tuning change it. My questions is how do you change them without a tuning computer such as LS1Edit? What do I do to the fans or the switch to work with the cooler thermostat?

The car right now pretty much just runs at 210 or just underneath all the time. I have only had the car about a month so I don[t have a whole lot of info on what it has, but I assume just the stock t-stat.

If this has already been discussed, I apologize, but I searched through many different posts and threads and couldn't find my answer. Thanks!
Old 02-14-2005, 04:43 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You will have to buy the 160 thermostat, Thunder racing offers it with some type of tunning device to change the off on fan temp settings. You could hard wire it with a switch that lets the drive just turn them on. Personaly I do NOT like doing that. If I was you I would buy a kit from one of the sponsors that includes a programmer of some sort. I am sure there are other sponsors that sell kits like Thunder Racing sells. So just go shop around for the best price.

The best thing to do is to leave it alone until you get enough mods to warrent a profesional tune. Then have it tunned profesionaly. You will be happier with that outcome. I live in West Texas, it gets up to 110 in the summer. I never had any problems with the factory thermostat and factory settings. It is about 70 or so right now and I have the 160 in mine with tuning, the car will not get cooler then 172 running down the rode right now, and if I let it idol for very long it will climb back up to 200. As soon as I start moving again it goes back down to 172. The point is I am sure when the heat of the summer comes the best I can hope for on the hottest days is probly going to be back up to the 200 mark. The factory radiator is just not designed to cool the engine down to 160 or 170 in sutch high heat days. To actually drop the temp down that low out here in our heat will probley require a very good aftermarket radiator. Sorry,,,

Quick Reply: Thermostat & Fan Settings for TX Weather