Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Timing

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-2005, 03:29 PM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Timing

I'll be shooting a 100hp shot of nos wet nitrous pretty soon. I can install the kit just fine, but it's the timing that concerns me. I need to turn my timing back 2 degrees don't I? Is there a way to do this (with stock ignition) without a computer? Or do I need to take it to a shop and have them set it back? Thanks
Old 02-14-2005, 04:30 PM
TECH Regular

Its not a requirement to turn the timingh down on a 100 shot. But you have some other mods and it might be a good idea. I personally wouldnt, but if you wanna go the safeway then you can. What you need is to get a timing tuner from thunder racing. It'll work as your window switch as well. So save you some money there. Its about 250.00 and what it does is knock your timing down the desired amount while nitrous is on and then turns it back up when the nitrous is off. So you keep your N/A horsepower the same. Nice if you dont really wanna use nitrous or need to but dont wanna lose hp's because of a tune. As I said though, i wouldnt bother with it unless your running a 150 shot or higher. Then id kick it down 3 degrees.
Old 02-14-2005, 04:42 PM
TECH Junkie

i sprayed a TNT 100 wet shot on my bolt-ons car without reducing the timing at all. ran great, no knock retard whatsoever with stock timing tables.
Old 02-14-2005, 04:45 PM
12 Second Club

How much of a hp loss would I be looking at if I had the timing set back all of the time? I want to be really safe here, because I my engine goes down, I'm screwed heh.
Old 02-14-2005, 05:51 PM
TECH Regular

Its hard to say, but sometime 1 degree can equal around 3-5hp. I cant really give you an exact number though. But you dont need to pull the timing all the time. And if you wanna pull it for the nitrous then get the timing tuner, but it really isnt necessary. I guess though if you wanna be supersafe, then the timing tuner would be the way to go.
Old 02-14-2005, 09:20 PM
10 Second Club

your car was tuned for your setup, so you will need to scan it and see what the guy did.

like said above stock timing tables may be allright, but your n/a tune is probably right on the edge (if it is good at least) so you need to adjust it for juice or run 100+ octane gas while spraying.

not sure on adjusting it without a computer, don't think so (not like old muscle cars..)
Old 02-14-2005, 11:38 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by sleeperstyle
your car was tuned for your setup, so you will need to scan it and see what the guy did.

like said above stock timing tables may be allright, but your n/a tune is probably right on the edge (if it is good at least) so you need to adjust it for juice or run 100+ octane gas while spraying.

not sure on adjusting it without a computer, don't think so (not like old muscle cars..)
Yeah, LG tuned it--I may give them a shout and get them to check it and turn it back if necessary.
Old 02-17-2005, 03:49 PM
12 Second Club

Is there any CHEAP way to check what my current timing setting is? The motorsport shop I usually go to requires $100 bucks to plug ls1Edit up.
Old 02-17-2005, 04:02 PM
10 Second Club

find somebody close w/hptuners, buy them a case of beer to scan your car.

there HAS to be somebody in your area with a scanner (efi live, hptuners, other...).

hell- i'd do it w/ my hptuners for a case of MGD, but im not driving anywhere.

where are you located? maybe post in the regional forums
Old 02-17-2005, 04:05 PM
12 Second Club

Heh, I'm located in texas, quite a drive. Thanks for the offer, though. And the idea!
Old 02-17-2005, 04:58 PM
12 Second Club

Ok, here's another question. Could anyone tell me how much LG might have advanced my timing with my mods, or how much I should set my timing back with Timing Tuner to be safe?
Old 02-21-2005, 07:36 PM
On The Tree

i sprayed 100 wet for almost two yrs with no timing retard just went with one degree colder plugs,spray away