Fueling & Injection Fuel Pumps | Injectors | Rails | Regulators | Tanks

97 to 02 fuel level unit

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-2005, 10:02 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Default 97 to 02 fuel level unit

I'm installing a 97 metal tank and sump in my 02 SS. The 02 has 2 plugs on the tank and the 97 just has 1. One of the plugs on the 02 is a 4 wire in which 3 are the same colors as the 97 plug. I'm assuming I can just splice those wires, but what about the rest? Is it something I can delete through tuning? I'm not refering to any EVAP stuff, I'm not worried about that. Just the plugs that go into the tank. The only thing I want working in the tank is the fuel level sensor. Thanks
Old 02-16-2005, 07:52 PM
TECH Veteran

I guess I've answered my own question. I'm going to take the 3 wires from the 97 fuel sending unit, black w/white stripe, black, and purple, and squeeze on a PT919 delco pig tail. This will allow me to directly plug the harness togeter without cutting the factory harness. One wire of the pig tail will not be used, the grey one. I wonder what it was for? 12v power for the pump maybe? I'm gunna have to find the wiring diagram for the fuel system. Back to work.........
Old 02-17-2005, 07:50 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Beast96Z
I guess I've answered my own question. I'm going to take the 3 wires from the 97 fuel sending unit, black w/white stripe, black, and purple, and squeeze on a PT919 delco pig tail. This will allow me to directly plug the harness togeter without cutting the factory harness. One wire of the pig tail will not be used, the grey one. I wonder what it was for? 12v power for the pump maybe? I'm gunna have to find the wiring diagram for the fuel system. Back to work.........
Post up what you find...I think Harlan may have some info on this as well....I need this just like you do to to finish my winter project

Mike
Old 02-27-2005, 07:21 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by V6 Bird
Post up what you find...I think Harlan may have some info on this as well....I need this just like you do to to finish my winter project

Mike
My final decision was to run a Racetronix wire harness from the alternator to the back, where it then has a "plug n play" connector that goes inline with your other fuel plugs. The delco PT919 connector is a direct squeeze onto the 97 tank in which you have one grey wire left over which goes to your positive side of your external pump. Your external pump should now key on just like your stock pump and the fuel level sender should still work as normal.
Old 03-01-2005, 12:35 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Beast96Z
My final decision was to run a Racetronix wire harness from the alternator to the back, where it then has a "plug n play" connector that goes inline with your other fuel plugs. The delco PT919 connector is a direct squeeze onto the 97 tank in which you have one grey wire left over which goes to your positive side of your external pump. Your external pump should now key on just like your stock pump and the fuel level sender should still work as normal.
Im a little lose in that theory, how much was the harness...I just worked with a 99+ PnP setup a few weekends ago and didnt have any wires left over. Maybe the 97 stuff is different? I did like the harness hookups that they provided. Even a place for a MSD voltage blaster for the fuel was already incorporated in the harness we messed with.

Mike
Old 03-01-2005, 09:14 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by V6 Bird
Im a little lose in that theory, how much was the harness...I just worked with a 99+ PnP setup a few weekends ago and didnt have any wires left over. Maybe the 97 stuff is different? I did like the harness hookups that they provided. Even a place for a MSD voltage blaster for the fuel was already incorporated in the harness we messed with.

Mike
Racetronix sent me a "buy it now" link in e-mail today, but they sent it in the wrong format. I obviouslly wasn't able to get the price. I should have that tommorow. As far as the harness is concerned, you will only use 1 plug from the stock harness. It is the one with the square plug that is the same as a oxegyn sensor. It is a 4 wire plug. 3 of the 4 wires are for the fuel level sender, and the left over grey one is your switched 12V power. Your 97 model tank has 3 wires coming from the top for the fuel sender. I bought and squeezed the Delco PT919 connector onto the 3 wires coming from the 97 tank, making sure that they were color coordinated with the stock plug. Now when you plug it in, there is one open wire on your pig tail, the switched 12V. You run this to your external pump. The racetronix harness will just plug inline of all of this. The reason you had no plugs left over on the car you messed with is because you hooked all the wires back the stock way. Anyway you hook it up,using these directions, you will end up with a 12V switched left over that goes to your pump. As if my first posts weren't confusing enough........